Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Taylor: Better than Clapton, Beck, Page?
Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 25, 2006 00:18

I've made similar remarks before, but this is what I think: Mick T is a superb, blues-based guitarist, capable of remarkable lyricism and a rare fluidity. He has disappointed me at the many club shows I've gone to (roughly '87 - 97), because despite strong moments on the live Dylan album from '85, Carla Olssson, The Man Who Fell To Earth ost (produced by John Phillips), and occasional other sessions, and one or two good original songs ("Broken Hands"), he flounders without a band of creative peers, including songwriters and a vocalist, and Mayall ain't no peer (I listen to those albums specifically for the guitar players). Whereas Wood has a great capacity for songwriting and collaboration (be it Kim Gardner, Beck, Rod, Ronnie Lane, Bobby Womack, Mick, Keith, Bernard Fowler, etc)...Jeff Beck was a genius and an innovator, with the Y'birds (the singles from '65-66 and the "Roger the Engineer album,") and the great albums with the original JB Group. Without "Truth" I can't imagine what the first Led Zep would sound like, it is that strongly influenced; play "Shapes of Things" then "Good Times..." or "Ain't Superstitious" followed by "How Many More Times". The engineering. The call & response between Beck & Rod Stewart (used more melodramatically by Page & Plant on LZ 1 & 2). "Beck Ola" is wilder & more intense than anything Zep would put out, and that is both its strength and related to Beck's inability to reach Pages's level of superstardom. He did no 'career planning', had a group bursting w/ talent (Stewart, Ron Wood, Nicky Hopkins, Mick Waller and Tony Newman) that fell apart in acrimony, and thought the Vanilla Fudge was an ideal rock band to hook up with. Page's personality, his use of Peter Grant, was much more calculating, and he knew how to produce - nearly every LZ album (except for the keyboard drenched '79 finale) has a distinct sound, and Page made some really creepy soundscapes. Live (I saw them once, have a few boots) they could be self indulgent and sloppy, endless guitar/drum solos etc, but he knew how to make records and what to nick for the band, from Muddy or the Small Faces to Spirit. Clapton was on fire for Fresh Cream, grew with that band as it outgrew the power trio format, and peaked imo w/ Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie and especially "Layla" spurred on by Duane and his own passion. The early ('73 - 76)comback stuff was good, funky, warm, stepping out of the 'god' role into a more intimate and sexy style, but by "Slowhand" for me he was getting boring as artist and player.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 25, 2006 01:09

Mick Taylor hasn't got the character to go with his talent - he's too shy and retiring. That's why he's unlikely to be rated in the same way as Clapton, Page, Beck etc.

It's also true what john r writes about him lacking the camaraderie to really collaborate effectively with other musicians in the way Ronnie does. He lacks confidence socially.

However in his days with the Stones he was truly superb particuarly live and he was very conscientious in applying himself to the task in hand which at least these days the Stones seem to have lost somewhat. I believe in that way his character worked to the Stones advantage.

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: June 25, 2006 02:26

Mick Taylor doesn't take a backseat to anybody... he's easily in my personal "Top Ten Guitarists" list...

A genius, childhood prodigy... think he joined the Stones at 21 or some ridiculously young age... like John Frusciante just walked into the Red Hot Chili Peppers without ever having been in a band before...

SRV was making people pay notice to this new Texas blues genius in his teens...

Clapton said about Stevie that he was like an "open channel"... and "never seemed to get lost"... Mick Taylor's in that league.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-25 02:27 by TombstoneShadow.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home