Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Ronnie in rehab but ok for the tour?"
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: June 19, 2006 17:26

Alright, before anybody jumps off a bridge for me starting aNOTHER thread on this subject I have to acknowledge that I am pretty distraught over how the subject line reads (as shown in IORR News). No offense to BV, your job is to report the news and you certainly do a remarkable job keeping all of us Stones Junkies in the loop.

I just have a problem with seeing a positive in someone else's definite tragic personal issues. And I know most everyone here has heartfelt compassion for what RW is going through (and been going through most of his adult-life). I just mean to say that the man could honestly be on the brink of his next existence (or next liver) and we (I include myself) seem to care more about his recoup time and how (or if) it will impact the tour schedule- and yes folks I know everyone also invests a great deal of time and money with a Rolling Stones tour, but it still pains me to see that people just hope that RW will survive his latest rehab stint (and I don't know how 1 week can rehab an individual like RW-not meant to be mean here, but i just don't see it) so that he can get back on the road in time to meet the tour schedule.

I guess in summary I'll just say that I'm certanly treasuring all the moments I can to hear and see my favorite band as they walk the planet today. I know this post has been pretty sappy (and I'm sure a few folks are going to blast me), but cherishing these guys is pretty special right now in my opinion. When this machine has to stop (and I hope that is many years from now) you can bet your ass and your last RS ticket stub that the entire world will pause and notice.

Here's hoping Ronnie (and Keith) can stay on the path (or least the majority of the time) of better health and wellness moving forward from now on.

Re: "Ronnie in rehab but ok for the tour?"
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2006 17:43

My response is that although I'm a compassionate person - I don't confuse any of the Rolling Stones with people I know personally. The Stones matter to me because they are a rock'n'roll band I enjoy - nothing more or less. So, it makes perfect sense to me that when I read/hear about KR's problems or Woody's problems, my first thought is about the future of the music and how that impacts me as a fan.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:04

crossfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I just have a problem with seeing a positive in
> someone else's definite tragic personal issues.
> And I know most everyone here has heartfelt
> compassion for what RW is going through (and been
> going through most of his adult-life).
>

ADULT life? I'm pretty sure he started before then . . .

PS Well said, StonesTod. I agree completely.

Date: June 19, 2006 18:06

Agree with "confuse any of the Rolling Stones with people I know personally", however for me there are definite threads of "personality" throughout my entire life that are directly attached to the music of the glimmer twins and that for sure impacts me as a fan.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:06

Just wish the bloke well and look forward to seeing the band soon!!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:07

StonesTod Wrote:
> I'm a compassionate
> person -

OK, now THIS, I have to take issue with . . .

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:24

I take issue with that too....

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:28

I agree Tod. What are we gonna do if (when) one of them dies.Go to the funeral? I hate people that go to famous people's funerals thinking they know them. If it affects the music and tour, then it affects me. I think 60 years old is a little too old to still have all these alcohol and drug problems. He needs to grow up!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:31

Good post, crossfire.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 19, 2006 18:38

It's too bad someone close to Ronnie can't get his attention and try to get
thru to him that his drinking days need to end!! But if he continues to
hang around Keith for his vacations, he can kiss his Liver and his life
good-bye!!!

MLC

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 19, 2006 19:13

well if he were really in that bad of shape do you think the stones and or his family would let him do it, so that means its ok for us to worry more about the tour than ronnies health, he must be ok right?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 19, 2006 19:21

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> It's too bad someone close to Ronnie can't get his
> attention and try to get
> thru to him that his drinking days need to end!!
>

I don't think it's for want of trying on their part. He knows all the implications but that won't make him stop unless he first decides that he really wants to.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:20

hazzard of the trade

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:58

I see your point crossfire. I have had friends who went to rehab, and their doctors didn't tell them "you'll only be in here for a few weeks, and then you'll get out just in time to go back to work."

It was more like we don't know how long you're going to be here, we're going to keep you until your mental and physical health improves enough that we think you have a reasonable shot at staying sober when we let you out, however long it takes. And forget work, that is the least of your worries, the important thing is your health.

But with Ronnie it's like "oh just stick him in rehab and dry him out for a few weeks and then come and get him when we need him to play guitar." The tour seems to be the number one priority, not Ronnie's health. What if he's not ready to go on the road by July? I suspect the answer from the Stones camp would be tough, suck it up and do it anyway because there's millions of dollars and thousands of people's schedules on the line here. So yeah, none of that seems very compassionate.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:00

"It's too bad someone close to Ronnie can't get his attention and try to get
thru to him that his drinking days need to end!! But if he continues to
hang around Keith for his vacations, he can kiss his Liver and his life
good-bye!!!

MLC"

Well, when his wife, according to the press, has given up on his drinking, then it looks quite bad...

Date: June 19, 2006 22:17

Honk - That's what I mean, not even his wife can get thru to him!!!

Doesn't look good for Ronnie IMO

MLC

Posted by: turd ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:36

Its not as simple as "getting though to him" unfortunately, he is an intelligent person who knows the possible outcome of this illness. I am sure he doesn't want to be in this situation, it is a living hell.
Alcoholism is a horrible desease, there is no cure as such, if you are lucky you just become a recovering alcoholic.
His wife, family and close friends can do very little - their advice is of no help whatsoever.

Date: June 19, 2006 22:55

Turd - Then tie him up or lock him in a cage!!

Just let him drink and kill himself??

Someone needs to do something, and hanging around with Keith and his drinking habits isn't helping either!!!

MLC

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:03

He really is Out of Control.

Do you think the song is written about Ronnie?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 20, 2006 03:27

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 02:40 by Beelyboy.

Date: June 20, 2006 03:36

"i don't have advice and am not privvy to his personal sitch...but i do tend to take stones stuff personally...
ronnie with the faces at fillmore east changed my young life...
and as a stone he has inhabited the rest of it...
it feels kinda personal and i hope he hangs in..."

Easy Beelboy, some hanging out on this thread don't believe in "personal" and "Stones" in the same thought.

But, sarcasm aside (sorry I couldn't resist the jab at a few folk) you nailed it friend-good post. I sure wish Ronnie Wood all the best!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: June 20, 2006 04:12

ohnonotyouagain , as an MD that has in the past worked a lot with Rehab programs as a professional and as a family memeber of a patient, the cruel truth is that length of treatemnt for most people really IS NOT dicated by condition or patient improvement, but by insurance policy. Now I know this is not Ron's case, but the sad truth is that most that enter Rehab now know EXACTLY how long you have to get well as an in-patient and how much out-patient professional after- care you will be recieving. It is assumed that in that time you will be handed the tools needed to help yourself, and that you will seek out help like AA.

In Ron's case, this trip to the Priory is most probably an extended de-tox stay. As many times as he has been there, and as much time as he has spent in rehab, it is doubtful that any more in -patient time will finally push Ron into abstinence. Whether it is a 12 step program, rational recovery, or some other esoteric method to achieve soberity, I am sure Ron has all that he can get in emotional hardware and software to stay sober if he chooses. However, once you have fallen of the wagon some of those tools do not work until you "dry out" again. Ron is probably drying out the way he best knows how, in a controlled environment.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 20, 2006 04:41

In the end, Ronnie (or any alcoholist) needs to do it himself, no-one, even his wife, familiy, or best friends can help him. It's a terrible disease.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home