Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: (O.T.) Frank Zappa
Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: June 9, 2006 02:58

The ROXY DVD!! Oh my God, oh my God!!!...
That Montana is hot, eh?

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 9, 2006 12:51

pardon - what roxy dvd?
is it a dvd from the roxy and elsewhere aera?

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 9, 2006 13:30

I'm far from a Zappa expert but highly recommend Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drwoning Witch. Side two is ONE monstrous virtuoso peace, recorded live amazingly (if I remember well quoting Stravinsky's Rite of Spring along the side). Artwork is a must as well.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 9, 2006 13:55

LOL..I'd forgot that one..yes..great cover!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 9, 2006 14:51

So glad you showed that cover. I too think that is one of the greatest drawings with title ever LOL.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-09 14:52 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Date: June 9, 2006 15:14

twanghound, the "Roxy DVD" refers to nothing more nothing less than an actual film (or video) of the "Roxy & Elsewhere" live recording session(s).
If you are familiar with that recording, you will recall that in one of his spoken-word song introductions, Zappa at one point refers to "circumlocuting in order to get this text on TELEVISION"...
Well the Zappa Family Trust has been seemingly sitting on this film release project for years... even promising its DVD version for a few years now (that is if you can make your way around the ZFT web site information pieces at all)...
Now with this news that, as a concert intro for ZPZ, actual promotional excerpts from it are being presented, one Zappa fan has every right to be completely excited...
The content of the live offical CD or double LP is fantastic enough... Now add to this the OTHER pieces from the Roxy concerts that make for the smokiest tracks on the "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore" series (Montana, Big Swifty, Dickie's... now Dupree's Paradise, I learn of here...)... You need to take care of your health so that you make sure to live long enough to see and hear this on your home movie machine, with a cold beer or two and ideally your best of friends still around!

Date: June 9, 2006 17:49

But wait a minute...
charlie13, are you sure these extracts were from the Roxy film and not from the (also upcoming project from the ZFT) "A Token Of His Extreme" film?
If in doubt, you can tell by the fact that Roxy is a club gig while "Token" is a television studio one. This one has bright lighting and features a six-piece band only. Roxy's is almost a big band (Bruce Fowler on trombone).

Looking forward a confirmation from you!

BTW, thanks for posting this incredible setlist and concert report!

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 9, 2006 20:41

"We're only in it for the money" is a good record. And don't miss the song "Valley Girl", with his daughter Moon Unit(http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/snd/valleygirl.html).

Date: June 9, 2006 23:11

True "...Money" is the baffling genius and cynical humour of Zappa at its apex! But a bit hard to take if you expect "hi-fi rock n roll" though, or even normal 1967 psychedelia for that matter!!
...At this point, poor out of my head must be discouraged with all these random tips!!
Perhaps he would be better off starting with the good old best-of compilation "Strictly Commercial" after all. I don't like it very much, as it is lamely put together and does not give justice to the richness of Zappa's output (not even, I would say, from a commercial point of view). But it should be found cheap on the used market and be an OK starter, in the absence of the other (preferably LPs, which are always more $ in decent condition) recommendations.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: June 10, 2006 11:58

Yeah, really...

I think "Overnight Sensation" might be the best Zappa-Album.

It's only some 36 min long.

Excellent jazz rock, excellent musicians.

Just make sure you don't care about the lyrics too much.

It's all about weird sexual practises, funny animals and other strange creatures.

"Overnight Sensation" indicates if you like FZ or not.

Cheers,

Cyrill
Germany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-10 11:59 by caesar.

Date: June 10, 2006 15:31

Well, there is (on Overnite) a take on neo-hippies (Camarillo Brillo), a song about zombies, which is a fun monster-movie parody ("Zomby Woof"), an autobiographical song - precisely about Zappa as lyricist! - called "Fifty-Fifty", a song about gameshow hosts, their perversion, deviousness and the industry that's behind them ("I'm The Slime")...
Not just merely sexual weirdness and stuff.
But I agree it should be a great starter!

Posted by: charlie13 ()
Date: June 12, 2006 01:34

arrffff.. - odd-beat.
no, i'm not really sure where this video-opening came from, the setlist-print was a token of another visitor's extreme ...

at least it was a filmed show-take from one of these roxy-shows, according to fz'z announcement at the beginning... funny how bruce fowler puts his trombone in pieces and continues playing on them.

the part that gave everyone in the audience of the berlin-concert a chicken skin was the moment, when the band appeared on stage and the film was till running. on screen you heard and saw FZ making an announcement while tuning his guitar.
In the darkness of the stage-front you could see dweezil tune his guitar according to the film, while the lights went on and the show started.

everything that followed never tried to be a copy,just the spirit... but it was a genuine "hommage"!
... no nylon-strings attached to the bodies, no fuming incense stenchers, no poodles :-)

greetings

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 12, 2006 01:40

Delete please.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 12, 2006 01:40

jewish princess and I'm an a**hole are great songs!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home