Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rocks off
Date: June 7, 2006 04:21

Has anyone else realized in the Live Licks version off rocks off the line "the Sunshine bores the daylights out of me" is cut off. It seems as if Lisa was going into it, but Mick went right into "I only get them off..." and Lisa followed. Very interesting

Re: Rocks off
Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:27

That's an edit that was made after the fact in the studio. When the CD was released there was a huge fuss about it here on the boards. I remember someone even e-mailed Bob Clearmountain about it. As you might expect, the band never commented on it. Very mysterious to me, I can't think of any reason they'd cut that part of the song out.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:28

Definitely.It's hard to miss it.It was a studio edit.There was some sort of a problem during that part of the song.I can't remember exactly what it was because,I haven't watched the stadium disc from Four Flicks in a while.Some people say they should have overdubbed it or left it off altogether.I say that instead of editing it,they should have just used a different performance of the song.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:31

lamemodem2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's an edit that was made after the fact in the
> studio. When the CD was released there was a huge
> fuss about it here on the boards. I remember
> someone even e-mailed Bob Clearmountain about it.
> As you might expect, the band never commented on
> it. Very mysterious to me, I can't think of any
> reason they'd cut that part of the song out.

If I recall,Clearmountain said he had nothing to do with it,that he just mixed the album and someone else edited it.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:54

This has been called the worst edit in Stones history. The infamous "Rocks-Off-Edit".

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 7, 2006 06:01

Theif in the Night Wrote:
I haven't watched the stadium disc
> from Four Flicks in a while.

The version on 4 Flicks is fine.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 7, 2006 08:38

>> The version on 4 Flicks is fine <<

actually it isn't quite "fine" - Mick is late coming in - but it's a hell of a lot finer than on Live Licks.
i forget which show it is, but on one of the DVDs i have from this tour, Ronnie makes a pretty big deal of cueing Mick for the sunshine line,
so i take it they know we noticed the butcher job on LL. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2006 08:43

there was lots of discussion on all the boards about this a couple years ago. I seem to recall Gazza, among others, being slightly agitated....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 7, 2006 09:15

JAGGYFRESHANDKEITH Wrote:
> Has anyone else realized in the Live Licks version
> off rocks off the line "the Sunshine bores the
> daylights out of me" is cut off.

No shit. Really???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 7, 2006 09:16

with sssoul got it down pat. the reson for the edit is due to Mick missing the first bit of it. i'm still suprised jagger didnt just redo his vox for that part instead of butchering it by cutting out the best line in the song.

-Drake

Date: June 7, 2006 21:28

If they record every show,this is just another example of them taking the easy way out in recent years.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: June 7, 2006 22:03

I actually returned my CD to store for an exchange because I was sure mine was scratched.

Date: June 7, 2006 23:47

A bit off topic, but where is the "Rocks Off" footage from L&G? It was performed at all four shows. I've never seen film footage of RO performed live from '72.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: June 7, 2006 23:49

The vaults ??

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2006 00:10

jomo297 Wrote:
> I actually returned my CD to store for an exchange
> because I was sure mine was scratched.

That's quite funny!

Posted by: Keith70 ()
Date: June 8, 2006 00:12

Rocks Off is my favourite song and I've always asked my self why a bad version on Live Licks; without the the line "the Sunshine bores the daylights out of me..." that song is not so good... The best version I remember is on Voodoo Lounge at the Giant Stadium...

Bye form Italy... see you in Milan...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 8, 2006 00:17

lamemodem2 Wrote:
> That's an edit that was made after the fact in the
> studio. When the CD was released there was a huge
> fuss about it here on the boards. I remember
> someone even e-mailed Bob Clearmountain about it.
> As you might expect, the band never commented on
> it. Very mysterious to me, I can't think of any
> reason they'd cut that part of the song out.

the probable reason that they never commented on it was because none of them ever listened to it before it was in the shops. There's no way all four of them would have missed that abortion of an edit.

..and thats one of the things thats so annoying - that any band with any degree of professionalism or self respect for their own product - let alone one of the Stones' pedigree - would sanction the release of anything under their name without even having listened to it first

Date: June 8, 2006 06:28

RO really sounds wrong without that line. Its just a shame they edited that part out.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 8, 2006 23:52

I have not listened to this in a couple of years. Very shoddy job, as I recall.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 10, 2006 03:58

One must remember that 'Bob Clearmountain' was responsible for the mixing/editing of Live Licks and he alone cocked up 'Rocks -Off'
When you have a mixing expert like 'Bob Clearmountain' the last thing you would expect is the edit on 'Rocks-Off'
He obviously did not understand the importance in the song of the'Sunshine bores the Daylight out of Me' which also confirms that his knowledge of 'Stones' fans
was no where as high as what he thought it was.
If as expected the 'Twickenham' portion was out of sorts surely he could have found another session where TSBTDOME could have been cut & pasted in appropiately.
Again this is Virgins/Clearmountins responsibility especially as the 'Stones'
financial outcome since 1989 has been from live concerts and not record sales.

Date: June 10, 2006 04:21

If you go by what Clearmountain has said and check the album credits,he(Clearmountain)was only responsible for the sound mix and Stewart Whitmore for Marcussen Mastering of Hollywood,California was responsible for the editing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2006 04:33

stones40 Wrote:
> One must remember that 'Bob Clearmountain' was
> responsible for the mixing/editing of Live Licks
> and he alone cocked up 'Rocks -Off'

no he wasnt. Two entirely different jobs done by different people.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 10, 2006 08:26

well,I just really like Micks performance (singing and moves) during Rocks off on the FF dvd. I didnt notice the lag during the sunshine bores the daylights out of me part, not saying it didtn happen, just didnt notice it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home