Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- David Lee Roth Gets Canned
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 05:57

david lee roth was fired from hsi gig today to replace howard stern on free radio after less then 4 months on the air-did anyone hear his pathetic radio show- it was horrible and the worst thing ive ever heard the guy didnt even know how to finish a sentence- he still thinks its 1984 and van halen is at the top of the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-22 05:59 by brewcrew87.

Re: OT- David Lee Roth Gets Canned
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 22, 2006 06:24

the mofo didn't jump the white cliffs of dover?

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 22, 2006 09:47

shocking

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 22, 2006 09:52

I saw him in 79..he was a great show-man.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 22, 2006 12:04

The guy's a good show-man, but for everything else he's a huge dickhead.

Date: April 22, 2006 12:05

He was.

Date: April 22, 2006 12:07

Haven't seen him recently. Is he that bad, nowadays?

Date: April 22, 2006 12:17

Very bad.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 22, 2006 16:43

This whole HS thing sucks. His big move to pay radio is looking like a really bad move since I missed him for a few days and now it's Howard who? When I heard how much he was making PLUS his stock options (quarter of a billion) obviously it's all about money....Talk radio is now dead...Stern blew it, Roth is a joke...I know the Government got on his back big time but the rest of it is just bad moves...Bye HS, by DLR, bye bye Talk Radio....

Date: April 22, 2006 16:48

Stern, what a cheap ass..

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 22, 2006 16:53

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't seen him recently. Is he that bad,
> nowadays?

Before he took Sterns slot. He had been working in NYC as a Paramedic for about 2 years. He dressed down and was rarely recognized from all accounts he did a really good job. He did say with all the Money he made during his rock career it gave him the freedom to things he always wanted to and Paramedic was one of them.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 22, 2006 16:57

now he is a bald has been

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 22, 2006 17:11

melillo Wrote:
> now he is a bald has been

HOw true

He has been a (has been)in the celebrity world since 84.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 22, 2006 17:11

MicksBrain Wrote:
Bye HS, by DLR, bye bye Talk Radio....

A big AMEN to that. I liked Stern, but I much prefer driving to work listening to good music. WBCN had great music for years during my drive to work, the HS came along, and then most of the other big stations followed. Now as I hit search in the morning, I'm lucky if I can find one good song.

So BYE BYE TALK RADIO, BRING BACK THE MUSIC!

Date: April 22, 2006 19:27

stern lost alot of listeners when he moved to sirius, alot of people dont want to pay and i am one of them

Date: April 22, 2006 19:48

Yeah, pretty soon we'll be paying to take a piss. I mean it's 12 bucks a month plus the reciever for the show at, what $100? Unless they start playing TONS of live concerts (bootleg, not released) and unreleased songs I ain't getting into it - too much bull sh*t....Stern effed up...he was bitchin' about it 2 weeks ago on some show....

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: April 22, 2006 20:36

Totally inaccurate. Stern is thrilled about the four million listeners that he brought with him (so far). His comments about that not being enough were that HE is so driven and insecure that he feels that he always has to accomplish more, sign up more, etc., etc.

Even if you don't like Howard, satellite is so worth the piddling amount that it costs, in that the programming is more varied than commercial radio has ever been or will ever be. If you really prefer listening to good music, there is no comparision - terrestrial radio is left in the dust.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 22, 2006 20:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:10 by cirrhosis.

Date: April 22, 2006 21:34

thats still 8 million short of what he had before

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 21:40

Now hopefully we'll get a real VH reunion tour. I saw DLR in concert in Vancouver a couple years ago and he still has a good voice. He actually sings the lyrics more with less screaming. Can still do kicks above his head and did the jumping splits from the drum risers.
The VH reunion tour with Sammy a couple years ago was fairly successful but the vast majority of VH fans want to see the original band one last time.

Date: April 23, 2006 06:02

melillo Wrote:
> thats still 8 million short of what he had before

Right, but it's far more than even Sirius expected him to bring with him so early in the game.

Date: April 23, 2006 08:27

Spikey, I have news for you. He's ONLY brought over 20 to 25% of his free radio audience. If he has 4 million (and that's IT, not SO FAR. What's gonna make anybody else get hooked up now? I NEVER hear ANYTHING about the show, as far as I'm concerned Howards on a perm vacation) So if he has 4 million that means that he lost from 16 to 20 MILLION listeners - That's a Sh*tload !!! Let's face it, the show is a big RIP - OFF !! First of all they still have commercials, it's on a time delay so he can't "Just Say Anything". I heard they wrote up a "S and P" booklet for him - more rules...oh, oh, starting to sound like free radio MORE AND MORE. He's probably taking his SUPER LONG vacations like usual - he's doing pretty good, almost up there with the US CONGRESS and their TONS of days off. And last but not least he'll be taking home about 1/4th of a BILLION dollars in 5 years !!! for that stupid show. So now he can eat at f*ckin NOBOO every night with Beth at $300.00 a meal and then go to his Central Park Penthouse. But guess what, I ain't paying a penny for all that sh*t, you are. Why is his show so good now? What bands has he had do his show? I pay $100.00 for satalite TV but I get like 30 to 40 movie stations - some in HIGH DEFINITION. A ton of stations ONLY on the Satalite plus they give us FREE XM pay radio stations - all kinds of music, about 50 or so stations. There's a new concert station in Digital,CD Quality...STERN can stick that little Sirus pay radio up his A$$. Unless he co hosts a week long string of shows with Mick and Keith I ain't throwing my cash into his hat. SCREW HOWARD !! He was good in the 90's but that was THEN - his time has PASSED - RIP HOWARD !!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 23, 2006 10:30

Speaking of free radio, on the news the other night, they had a feature on how free radio was trying to step it up so as to compete with pay radio. A lot of the big stations are adding on, similar to MTV. For instance, in Boston, we have WBCN. WBCN will also now have WBCN2, which will play only music, no DJs, some I believe will have even more than one extra station.

The only thing is your regular radio wont be able to pick it up, there's a special radio (which will probably start being the new standard radio within a year or two). They said currently the radio sells for about $80-100.

Date: April 24, 2006 00:23

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Spikey, I have news for you.

Evidently you don't have Micks brain, as he was/is quite skilled in economics. First off, you've ceased making valid points and have gone off into the land of diatribe. For you, the show is a big rip off. How, I'm not exactly sure. There are commercials, yes. Maybe five minutes worth per hour compared to the 22 minutes that he was doing on commercial radio. Big rip off there. Second, yes, Sirius has rules and guidelines, just like any other corporate that has stockholders to answer to. Do the rules and gudelines apply specifically to Stern, to keep him muzzled? Nope. Boy am I starting to feel screwed. Third, he has vacation time coming to him. Man, I begrudge him that. I'd rather that he take no time off so that he can get burnt out and do a lousy show rather than have an opportunity to recharge. And boy, am I pissed off about the amount of money he's made off this deal. So pissed as to think that it's completely irrelevant to whether or not I enjoy his show or am willing to pay for it. Sorry that Howard has disappointed you, but myself and the other three million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand idiots will keep paying our thirteen bucks a month, which, the last time I checked, was significantly less than the hundred dollars that you have no problem coughing up for satellite, HD, XM, etc., etc., etc. To each his own, my friend. . .

Date: April 24, 2006 00:28

CindyC Wrote:
> Speaking of free radio, on the news the other
> night, they had a feature on how free radio was
> trying to step it up so as to compete with pay
> radio.

The crucial thing here, is will it just be FM radio as usual, ie, radio that takes no chances with their programming. The early days of FM were brilliant, because their programming, in certain instances, was wide open. You might hear the same DJ play Peter Allen, the Ramones, and the Grateful Dead. If this new idea doesn't bring some of that freedom back, or segment even further, so that there are tons of stations, each one catering to a specific, noncommercial type of music (like satellite is now), it'll suck just like regular FM does now.

Date: April 24, 2006 04:41

Spikey, So tell me what bands I've missed lately. I would think he'd get more than before since they'd be able to sit there and shoot the shit without any censorship. Remember, in the past he's had McCartney, Ronnie Wood, Roger Daltrey, Black Crowes, Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, Perry Ferell, Sammy Hagar, RHCP, Bowie (Birthday party - very short interview), Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Jacob Dylan (Wallflowers), Leslie West, Jack Bruce, Joe Walsh, Velvet Revolver, Clapton (called him at his NYC hotel, short interview), Belinda -Go-go's singer, Alanis Morrisette (sp?), Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad) , Ozzie (a million times), on and on. So what bands so far?......PS Hello, this is NOBOO, your take out order comes to $10,000.00, it will be there in 20 minutes, thanks.....

Date: April 24, 2006 06:08

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Spikey, So tell me what bands I've missed lately.

Why are you so hung up on what bands he's had on recently? I listen to him to laugh. There are a hundred and some odd other music stations for when I want that.

On another note, when was Jack Bruce on? Mark Farner? Somehow I missed those, but I would have loved to have heard them.

I'm pretty sure that when Mick or Keith are hungry, they don't order in from Burger King.

Date: April 24, 2006 12:10

Spikey, first of all I'm not trying to start a fight with you, Stern pisses me off, not you.Second,I like your user name, and Third, I am consistant because I haven't gone to a Stones show since 1999 (2 "No Security" Shows at the Pond in Anaheim, California) Why, 2 reasons, the set list on the No Security Tour Was SO EXCELLENT (Moonlight Mile, Some Girls, A very raw Paint it Black, You Got the Silver, Shine a Light, Memory Motel, Respectable, Whip Comes Down, Imagination, Route 66, Midnight Rambler (on the small stage), Saint of Me, Out of Control,etc)I knew they were never gonna be that bold again. I'm a WARHORSE hater and if they dropped Dice, Miss You, Start Me Up, Beast, and IORR tomorrow and never played them again I could care less (I suppose that BS, HTW, JJF, and Satisfaction must be played so I can handle those 4) and second the Ticket prices have been going sky high and I'm just not gonna pay it. I have a fantastic massive Yamaha/Kliptch surround sound /HD big screen (73" widescreen format) set up and much prefer to watch/listen to the Live Licks DVD box set on that whenever I feel like it then hassle to go to the shows and pay all that cash for 2 hours of hits. I must add that I've seen every US tour since I was a pre teen in 1969 (LA Forum show, 11/8/69) that I'm really starting to notice - even on the Live Licks DVD's - that Jagger is more and more just going through the motions. You're right, Jagger and Richards (and McCartney/U2) make a ton of money but I think they have worked hard enough and are talented enough to get whatever the market will pay. If you could somehow get the original Beatles back together again for a 2.5 hour show I'd pay $1,000.00 to be in the back row of MSG (which is probably low cause those seats would go for $10,000.00 most likely) I think Stern is a very talented guy and I came VERY close to getting into Sirius but then when I heard about Sterns stock options I said forget it. I just don't think he's worth THAT much so I ain't gonna contribute. There's making good money and then there's sodomizing the listener and Stern moved into the sodomizing area as far as I was concerned. Glad I heard about those Stock options because I was VERY close to getting hooked up. I just think everything has a certain value and if it goes way beyond what I think I don't pay it. As far as Mark Farner it was a very long time ago (before the GFR reunions and Cd's of that) and he did a great I'm Your Captain/Closer To Home thing on acoustic guitar.There was a small audience there. I have it on tape SOMEWHERE. Jack Bruce did this weird thing with Leslie West on a Trans Atlantic phone call where they played "Theme From an Imaginary Western" (A Mountain Song) and Jack was in London and Leslie was in NYC. Remember Felix is dead and Jack was somehow involved with Mountain (or Felix with Cream), producer or co - writer? Have that on Tape SOMEWHERE to. It was years before the Cream reunion. Doubt if he would do it now....No hard fellings, I just feel Stern is screwing the fans somewhat. IMO,he deserves what Serius was gonna give him for 5 years but when they added the stock options that was it for me. And I agree with you, Mick spends money like there's no tomorrow (just watch the DVD "Being Mick") but the part of that that I contributed to is just the DVD's and CD's I've bought and I'm fine with that cause I think they were worth it to me. That's me, I pay what I think is worth it.Once it goes too high I'm out of it. I like the attitude of Dylan, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, and Robert Plant. Not goin for the rip off prices.....

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: April 24, 2006 14:37

Roth is cool

Date: April 25, 2006 04:57

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Spikey, first of all I'm not trying to start a
> fight with you,

No hard feelings here either. Like I said, to each his own. Peace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home