Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pay Pack & Follow
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 10, 2006 14:47

We've head threads about this one before, but again what are your thoughts?
Listened to it and from the credits this should be the "Great Lost Album". Ron, Taylor, Jagger and Keith all really involved. I just don't know. There are touches and moments but something is missing.
They supposeldy recorded this over a very long period of time. Lost the tiapes, found them.
When I hear the album all I can ever think of is one thing: drugs.
Maybe that is what is wrong with it. The pics fromn the cover look terrible. Keith and Papa John look wasted and emaciated. I think of the big artyicle John wrote for RS ages ago. One of the first sentences was him describing the rush of a morning shot of Desoxyn and Dilaudid. Breakfast of Champions. And the production of the music is somehow not good enough. Not good enough to be called finished IMO.
Those songs could have been bettre. they are great ideas though.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Pay Pack & Follow
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 10, 2006 14:53

I listen to it very often so I like it in a strange way...my fav is Mr Blue.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 10, 2006 16:19

You are right, this was discussed before!

And since it always receives so many praises, every time I give it one more try.

No way, it does not work for me! To put it simply, it does not have balls. Plus, I cannot stand the vocals.

Gimme DW or SW any day!

C

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 10, 2006 16:48

Pay Pack & Follow .................... is worth getting. Get yours now !

Date: April 10, 2006 16:54

Down in the gutter damm good music!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 10, 2006 17:58

Dig it

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 10, 2006 19:02

If you're a Stones fan it's definately worth it. IMO She's Just 14 justifies it.

Date: April 10, 2006 19:34

Woulnt it be great to have a mamas &Papas album with the Stones!!!

Date: April 10, 2006 19:41

now yer just dreamin', rooster, california-style!

Date: April 10, 2006 19:42

I need to dream my friend!!

Date: April 10, 2006 19:45

i'll be in your dreams, if you'll be in mine - Bob Dylan said that....

Date: April 10, 2006 19:47

I love Dylan he is my hero so is Lenny Bruce!!!and Leonard Peltier!!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 10, 2006 19:58

Yea....moments of greatness (She's 14,Oh Virginia,) and moments of crap (Zulu Warrioir

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 10, 2006 20:57

It is an album made when the main participants were f**ing wasted, and the mood is often hazy, out of focus, bleary, frail. Phillips never had a "ballsy" persona (check his 1970 Dunhill solo debut, low key & likeable), so there's nothing overwhelming as might be hoped for given the talent involved, yet, yet it has real haunting moments and certainly a distinct (torn & frayed) and frequently compelling identity. Makes Big Star's "Third" (made under, I assume, similar circumstances) sound infectious by comparison.

Date: April 10, 2006 21:10

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is an album made when the main participants
> were f**ing wasted,

Excellent piont, John - and I might add that it's best listened to in the same condition as the participants involved

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 10, 2006 21:13

Unfinished album IMO. Could have been much better if they put some more time in it. Still nice bits & pieces in those songs. Lyrics are pretty weak tho.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: April 11, 2006 05:05

The cool thing about it is that every song has a different style to it, and keioth plays some great guitar. Even though he is not credited on it, (drummer"unknown"), isn't that really Charlie on drums?

Does any one else recall that shortly before it was released, it was said to contain 11 songs? What ever happended to the missing two, and what were they?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 11, 2006 06:05

Has some very cool moments. Some great guitar, and Mick's harmonies are cool

I read an article in Vanity Fair about rock stars kids, and Macenzie Phillips, the daughter of John, said in an interview she lost her virginity to Mick Jagger at 14. They were doing coke together and he shut the door, dad yelled in from the other room "be gentle with her Mick, she's my daughter!" Well this is indeed a disturbing story! And from how Macenzie tells it, it sounds real...and would fit with the Song She's 14 Years Old!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 11, 2006 06:28

really ? the story I heard was that she was 18. they were making sandwiches and Mick asked john to go out and get mayonase and locked the door and then they got it on.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 11, 2006 06:33

ryanpow,
Your right man! Sorry!!
Here it is:
Mackenzie Phillips & Mick Jagger: Hold the Mayo

One day, 18-year-old Mackenzie Phillips found herself at Mick Jagger's home making tuna sandwiches with Mick and her father (John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas). When Phillips left to get some mayonnaise, Jagger pounced:
"Mick turned around and locked the door and looked at me," she recalled, "and he said, 'I've been waiting to do this since you were ten years old.' My dad is banging on the door, 'Mick, be nice to her! Don't hurt her!' And I'm going, 'Dad, leave us alone. It's fine.' And we slept together..."

[The next morning, Mick gave her a lovely robe and fed her tea, toast, and fresh strawberries.]

Jagger, Mick (1943- ) British musician [noted for such works (with The Rolling Stones) as Beggar's Banquet (1968), Sticky Fingers (1971), Exile on Main Street (1972), Goats Head Soup (1973), It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (1974)Black and Blue (1976), Some Girls (1978), Emotional Rescue (1980), Still Life (1982), Undercover (1983), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Rock & Roll Circus (1996), and No Security (1998)]

[Sources: Vanity Fair, Nov. 2001, p. 191]

Date: April 11, 2006 06:38

Clearly, the man has NO shame. "ive been waiting to do this since you were ten" holy FREAKING god.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-11 07:21 by ryanpow.

Date: April 11, 2006 07:16

LOL! wheres MicksBrain? this would be a great trivia question. "bonus: what kind of sandwiches was Mick making with the Phillips before mick sent john out for maynase and banged MacKenzie? "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-11 07:17 by ryanpow.

Date: April 13, 2006 09:34

THE ALBUM IS RUBISH...THE ONLY REDEEMING FACTOR IS THE SALVATION OF KNOW THE KIILERS( A RETRO RIP OFF BAND) STOLE MR BLUE FROM THIS ALBUM AND TURNED IT INTO A HIT...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 13, 2006 11:38

I don't think the album is rubbish at all. But I don't think it is finished as could be. Jagger was the producer who wanted it good, and saw the potential from Day 1 but got totally turned off to the whole rpoject by the incredible drug use by Papa John and Keith. And Ron and Mick Taylor were right in there too. JP's autobio tells in great detail the story of the recordings for the album. IMO this coud have been a great album but fell short.
I don't know about "Mr Blue" (elegant jew) the song about Lenny Holzer being covered by a band called Know the Killers.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home