Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 30 years ago today jfk 1978 show
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 23, 2008 18:46

Was Philly the only outdoor show
with the yellow screens on the side that cover the P.A.?
Anaheim and Oakland were black screens, if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 23, 2008 20:51

I also recall reading this just before their New Orleans's show in 78. What a joke - they were damn sure the finest band in the land on July 13, 1978.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 20, 2010 01:42

dariog
i just played my dog and cat version 3 times over really load not a bad show .sound good really turned up. i need to see more pictures from this wild show. seen most of them out there .

I need to see 'em, too!

jfk 1978 dog and cat upgrade boot
Posted by: dariog ()
Date: April 12, 2008 14:44

what to people think of this upgraded version .i just got it and i think its a little better than the other ones that are out there.

Re: jfk 1978 dog and cat upgrade boot
Date: April 12, 2008 18:02

dariog
what to people think of this upgraded version .i just got it and i think its a little better than the other ones that are out there.

I think you are oddly fixated on this one particular not very good concert. I enjoyed the photos you posted, though. They made me think of my first car, my 1970 Chevy Nova that was parked outside the stadium when they were taken.

Date: April 12, 2008 18:46

so what if i am it was a wild concert jagger with the flu and never canceled the show the rain the heat that day i heard it got to 102 with the crowd. they said it was the worst concert the stones ever did but you know dont sound like it to me 30 years june 17 1978 rock on.............. oddly fixeddrinking smiley

Date: April 12, 2008 19:35

So how will you be celebrating the 30th anniversary? I'd be happy to meet you at the site of this legendarily awful concert (I don't even know what's there now .... the ruins of the stadium? another stadium? a parking lot?) and throw some beer bottles and M-80s around in the Stones honour, but unfortunately, I'll be at the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss concert that night. Life moves on. You should, too.

Date: April 12, 2008 23:53

well i will jam the concert on my stereo and drink it up and enjoy it thats how i will move on and you see that guy that cant sing anymore rather see coverdale anyday.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 13, 2008 00:44

I also have a strange fascination with that concert. I was there - front row - got there the day before - thousands of fans already partying more than 24 hours before the concert - and waited all night outside of one of the steel gates. Early in the a.m. they began opening the gates and I was lucky mine was one of the first to be thrown wide. I ran like a fool to the front - I was in great shape in those days from playing football - and I think I ran the length of the field in 7 seconds! (it was an old football stadium) I looked back and I couldn't believe I was one of the first people in the stadium...standing in front of this stage with nothing but empty space around me.

The wait...the heat...the humidity...the 90,000+ teenage-wasteland-crowd...the opening acts...the interminable wait. The concert was an utterly glorious disaster...Jagger ill...voice kinda shot...I think he packed half a fruit salad down his crotch...shaking that meat + fruit mix like a ball and chain at the front rows...the Stones in complete ragged glory...the vibe of the crowd ecstatic and wasted and nasty...almost dangerously aggressive. The worst Stones concert ever? Musically, perhaps...but they still kicked ass and it was one of the most amazing scenes I've ever experienced...unforgettable.

I've been to over 40 Stones shows all over the world...but that is one of the ones that sticks with me to this day...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2008 00:46

I don't get what's so strange about having an interest in one particular Rolling Stones show... I have specific insterest in a couple of shows which I didn't even attend. Both Rolling Stones and other artists

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 13, 2008 02:31

its allright!! its the best tour....and the Philly gig is fascinatingsmileys with beer yes cheers!

Date: April 13, 2008 03:55

yes it is i would love to see a picture when the stage got trashed really bad after the stones left in a hurry are when foreinger had shit thrownsmoking smiley at them tosh to.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: April 13, 2008 04:00

dariog
yes it is i would love to see a picture when the stage got trashed really bad after the stones left in a hurry are when foreinger had shit thrownsmoking smiley at them tosh to.

Didn't the stones lose almost a million dollars in equipment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 04:00 by keef_nerd.

Date: April 13, 2008 04:18

that might be very true would love to see the pics of it

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:12

I was at that one too. I was 18. Totally wasted, wet, very far away and not happy. I was with these two JERKS also - people I didn't really know and it's always weird being wasted with people you don't know. We came in from NYC; I ASSUME we took a train, but.... It's just a total blurry fog and if it wasn't for people bringing it up and describing it in good detail, I would've always just assumed it was just my opinion and the result of the circumstances. Nice that there is corroborating evidence that it sucked!! Let's fixate on it some more!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 13, 2008 08:23

largelingerie
Totally wasted, wet, very far away and not happy.

Way to describe my current attitude and proximity to the bar. 4 am and that afterparty can't come soon enough!

Date: June 20, 2010 01:40

dariog

The jet airplane flying overhead during Love In Vain sounds great! You don't hear anything like THAT on an official release!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 20, 2010 07:26

dariog

what is the quality of this upgrade?

Re: june 17 1978 jfk show
Date: April 7, 2011 12:09

I am always amazed at how many people here had the same experience I had: first Stonesshow as a kid (I was 13) coming down from NYC in a hallucinogenic fog. All night outside the stadium, run like a fool upfront on the grass, battle other fools, elements and time all day long; suffer through Foreigner, and then the Stonez! yes, the 78 Philly show is somehow regarded as a weak show, but to me it will always remain the alltime greatest Stones concert.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:25

I was there, and drove down right after my sister's church wedding (missed the reception)...My PR GF was a no show, and i ended up going with a HS friend...I don't recall much about the show, certainly not that it was as bad as the above posts mention...That may be because i was still feeling the bliss from the totally amazing show at the Capitol Theater a few nights earlier...Remember the double LP entitled; "Garden State 78"??

What i DO remember, however, is at the end of Satisfaction Jagger declared; "I'm sick of Devo!!"

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:34

I was there and as i said before i had a blast...

I was very excited about the show and it did seem to go by very fast...hahah...As i was making my way to the stage after the
show i saw a group of fans, say 30-50 kids (my age) throwing everything they could get their hands on at the stage..

I asked 1 of them what they were doing and was told that he was pissed that they got "ripped off '' with such a short show..

I was mad at the kid as i throught it was a GREAT concert and why in the hell would he be so mad....THE STONES ARE GOD!! haha...
Thats what i believed anyway...Then all you heard from the news was that the show ended early...I never did know why it ended early..
Some reports was that Jagger had a cold or something...

But the Stones made up for it when they opened their 81 tour in philly...

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:55

Long long long wait in an ugly crowd for a very short show, not a good experience

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2011 21:19

It sounds very similar and looks very similar to the Cleveland show I went to in early July. Both were in football stadiums with the dreaded festival seating in the bowl. Kansas, instead of Foreigner, but is that really much different? Both groups seem dreary now. There were bad vibes, bikers, too many a-holes with firecrackers/M-80s. Still,there was a fading magic around the band; the feeeling that these rock gods were suddenly on stage and people rushing to the stage and danger and no encore. I never went to a festival seating concert again.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 7, 2011 22:31

"...he was pissed that they got "ripped off '' with such a short show..."

Thank God he didn't go to any shows in 1972...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home