Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: RADIO CITY
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:16

Theif in the Night Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> micwer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> You Got Me Rocking has been beaten into the
> ground.
>

Got an extra club? I'd like to help finish the job....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:21

T&A Wrote:

>
> We're carers, not complainers.

I agree, there's a fine line between complaining and criticizing. I think constructive critiscm may help the band in the long run.

If their fans who go see them more then 1 time a tour, which I suspect is a large number, are not thrilled with repetitive setlists, maybe The Stones will think twice on what the fans want?

Who knows? Nothing wrong with giving an opinion on your favourite band.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:23

micwer Wrote:
> I don't get the hate here. As Tears Go by;
> Worried about You; Shattered; Get Off Of My Cloud;
> You Got Me Rocking + 2 titles from the last album.
>
> Not too shabby I think.

Whats with this 'hate' nonsense? Why do some of you guys feel it necessary to exaggarate any minor criticism as 'hate'? Thats nonsensical. Not to mention a bit disturbing.

Apart from the '2 off the last album" lark, not 'complaining' about the songs that were played per se (although the usual suspects will be blind enough to dismiss it as such). Pretty much what I expected, to be honest although a couple of songs shorter than usual for no logical reason

montrealsuperfan
>In fact have any of the set list complainers actually gone to a show.

I've gone to two on this tour to date (and a lot further away than you have no doubt), with 5 to come. 41 in all, none of which were in my own country, and which has included 4 transatlantic trips to 8 shows on the last 3 tours. Apart from 3 gigs, every show I've ever been to has involved at least one plane ride (sometimes two) and/or a boat journey. And you, mr "super fan"?

>Also-who cares if they made $5 million or $10 million or whatever. Who on this board has ever refused a pay raise ? Everyone earns what the market will bear for their services. These are just the facts of life.

which would be a valid point, had it been a normal show. Its not. Its a charity show. And your point, caller?? F*ck me, how difficult is this to grasp?

Have you ever done anything for charity in your life? Seriously? If you stand on a street corner rattling a tin asking people to donate to help the disadvantaged, do you pocket a large percentage of what you collected for yourself? Who the @#$%& else does something for the poor and gets paid millions for 2 hours work in doing so? If you cant see the anomaly in that, you need locked up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-16 01:29 by Gazza.

Posted by: adamdean ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:26

nikkibong Wrote:
> weak setlist

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE HERE (COULDN'T HAVE WRITTEN A BETTER REVIEW MYSELF!!):

Review by Cardiff Giant
To see the Rolling Stones on the marquee of Radio City Music Hall.....an amazing sight. I walked the outside of the hall late in the afternoon and came upon the band entrance. Heavy security and just a handful of fans hoping for a glimpse of the Stones arrival. One by one, everyone pulled up to the side doors. Quick waves from each bandmember and then inside for soundcheck. I snapped a few photos and got out of the brisk winds to head down to Walter's near MSG for the pre-party.
Arriving back for the show with my buddy, we went inside..I was the only person pulled aside for a metal detector wanding....But I still got my camera in !!! My first event at Radio City....what a beautiful venue. The lobbies were packed, the open bar was a hit. We made our way up to the 3rd mezzanine for our seats dead center in the 5th row....great view....and very unique...being up above in the center...but still very close (relatively) to the stage. It allowed you to watch the band work...especially Charlie. A very roomy front stage extension out into the crowd....Would we have a b-stage set???...hmmmm.

B-52's did a very solid job. I was happy to see them perform....Roam was great. And of course, Love Shack and Rock Lobster. Before the Stones hit the stage, Robin Hood's chairman took the stage along with board member Harvey Weinstein to thank everyone for coming to the show.

Finally, the lights dimmed and, as I expected, the Stones massive video screen appeared on the back of the stage....the cosmic opening video and we blast into Jumping Jack Flash. Keith immediately strides right up to the front edge of the stage extension...A poweful opening. You could feel how special this night was. Sound was great...loud, clear with lots of guitars... It's Only Rock 'n Roll was again...loud, solid and high energy. The band was on point right from the get-go.

Mick introduced a song about New York....Shattered !!!! ...and they nailed it musically. Mick shortened up the verses...but Ronnie, Keith and especially Charlie and Darryl were ripping up the song....but it wasn't sloppy. A great tight rocker. Ronnie was on tonight. Oh No Not You Again--- tight and hot...similar to Fort Lauderdale the other night, but not as perfect....but still....a great version. Keith just lives inside this song and creates new riffs. Tumblin Dice...A heavy dose of high energy... the horns were soaring, Keith used the room...literally...He went stage left and just leaned on the wall as he played. An intimate venue for sure....It's officially a theatre show when you have a wall to lean against!!!!

And then...I got something I hoped for, but figured might be a longshot. Keyboard brought to the front of the stage.... Could it be????.... My first time....Worried About You !!! Oh how sweet! Mick takes a seat... and proceeds to hit us with the falsetto magic. And to have this song at this show....WOW!!!! Bay-beeeee! They hit a home run. And Mick went super low for "why you do that baby?" Ronnie's solo was slow, and measured and that made it work. Patience and feel. Way to go Ronnie. And the song just built and built...and built.... Just awesome. Mick was on fine form. What a performance.

And to go into Gimme Shelter, outta that?.....oh my. powerful playing all around. Lisa at the center with Keith...that playful flirting always something to see, just before Lisa belts the solo that makes the crowd erupt. And once again, Mick just gives it his all. He runs past a line...no big deal, he turns it into a little scat ad-lib and he and Lisa just go from there.

Now, with Shelter barely finished...I hear the low blues notes...and we're ready for Midnght Rambler?....are you joking? This show is now officially perfect in my book. I check my watch....this goes 11 minutes. I have now developed on this tour, an involuntary reaction....when those little notes start and Mick hits his first harp drag....I start yelling....I go crazy. Rambler kicks ass, any time, every time...period. Keith hit some fast licks in the middle that were totally on feel... Mick played harp and threw in plenty of "don't do thats" as he barely took his mouth off the harmonica. The long jam brought Mick's duck walk out...all across the front of the stage.... The crowd participation was great. 'Radio City say oww"... oww..... "Say oww.oww.oww...owww.owww...owww....oww-wwwwww"...and Charlie proceeds to blast the snare in Mick's vocal rhythm. snap-snap-snap-snap -snap-snap-snappppp...And when the "hit and run" lines came...Charlie broke his usual character of smooth, swinging stickman, and looked like a robot as he crashed his array of cymbals. Stiff armed swings and turns of his head and shoulders...One of the coolest things I've ever watched from C. Watts !!!! Rambler is always a huge highlight with me, like you can't already tell. !!!!

Band intros....and we get Keith front and center. "Hey New York City....back again. Nice room ya got here!!! " ...This Place is Empty was full of soul. The visual of Keith alone, up front...always gets me. Happy was ripping. Keith jumped around early on some lyrics...but who cares. The house was jamming on this one. He was the human riff. An arm flick to the right and a kick with the left leg..Go on Keith!! He ended the song all the way at the front extension...on his knees. And then headed to the back with that spinning, skipping bounce that just makes you smile.

Sure enough, we're getting a b-stage....Radio City-style. Charlie's drum kit slides forward and the band is playing the middle of the orchestra level. The screen is turned off...and the big curtains are lowered in the background. Here we go. You Got Me Rocking was nasty, Keith just didn't want to stop. No Chuck Leavell up front...he played keys from the main area. A bar band is rocking this joint.

Then the stool comes out for Keith....oh yeah, this is special. What song would it be??? ..Several possibilities. And we get... As Tears Go By. Amazing song to play on the b-stage. Smart too. The older crowd in the expensive seats can get into it. Mick's vocal....so much feeling. Charlie swings..and that has made this song so great on the tour. Keith and Ronnie on acoustic. This show continues to cement itself as an all-time classic. ...Another oldie....yeah, why not....Get Off of My Cloud !!!! Sure, we've been hearing it for many shows....but it's in this environment, in this setlist, that makes it so special. A perfect capper on the b-stage. The crowd went nuts for it. Those "seniors" down front couldn't help but dance and shout with the Stones.

Sympathy on the main stage...and the video screen fills with red and black. Crowd is fired up. Keith with big, blaring notes. And as the jam builds, Mick and Keith start "the Climb".... two stairwells on either wing of the theatre, leading up towards the mezzanines. Mick goes up one...Keith up the other....and Keith keeps going....and going...and going... and stays there for a good while !!!! This is just too much. I was soaking in this kinda stuff all night. A stuffy boring show for charity??....yeah, right! How 'bout a night for the ages. It ain't just setlists and solos...It's the whole package. And this proves it. Once Mick and Keith were back at "sea level"...the song exploded. Mick rushed the front edge so fast and with so much aggression He was pouring himself to the crowd...and I can't believe how so many in the front were not going crazy...I think many of the VIPs in the big money seats were in plain shock and amazement at the performances they were getting. The Stones had kicked it into ultra-overdrive. Get out of our way....we're here to kick some ass.

Honky Tonk continued the bash. Keith getting into it. The crowd loving it. "divorcee in New York City" get big cheers. Tennis great John McEnroe shown on the screen jamming out.

Start Me Up featured plenty of energy..It's so much better as a stretch run selection in the setlist. Ronnie was, again, solid on the solo. Brown Sugar capped off the main set with Bobby Keys' signature sax blast and plenty of rock and groove.

The encore brought the house up even higher...You Can't Always Get What You Want was connection for everyone..band, crowd...the whole place. Ronnie nailed his solo...again. Mick's singalong was full of soul and rhythm "You Can't always get what you want!! ....yeah, yeah....yeaaahhh! ... you can't always get"....etc.. Mick did a lot of hand slapping in the front row. No barricade. Two fans held on to Mick for a long time...I'm sure he was freaked a bit, while trying to keep the song going.

Satisfaction had Keith enticing the crowd before cranking out that famous open. Mick worked the whole stage. Ronnie went to these three kids in the front, and was motioning them to strum his guitar as he crouched near them....They didn't understand and just slapped his hand. Oh well. Keith was all smiles. The song was so exuberant.... ending a great US tour. The confetti blast covered the whole front stage extenstion and even rained down on Mick and Ronnie. What a visual spectacle. Mick just stood there in control, his final pose, as the confetti hung over him. Charlie handed one stick to Ronnie who hand delivered it to one of the kids up front. Ronnie then flicked numerous picks into the crowd and blew kisses. The final bow, and Mick and Keith were the last to leave, on either side of the stage. Keith went to the front and hand delivered picks to two lucky fans, before walking out the back.

An amazing night....you'd be hard pressed to see a better 19 song set. Some gems...Some great combos...(Worried, Shelter and Rambler...all in a row.) A b-stage that was so perfect. Not to mention Shattered and all the rest. And that climb by Mick and Keith. So many great memories at Radio City. Sound was fantastic, musicianship was top notch...Energy of the crowd was much higher than I expected. I think only the Stones could do that in a benefit show of this type. And our little gifts are great...event t-shirt, poster and Robin Hood program. Just a perfect night and a perfect conclusion to this part of the tour.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:29

Nice writeup by Cardiff.

Nikki's review was better.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:33

adamdean Wrote:
> nikkibong Wrote:
> -----
> > weak setlist
>
>
> WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> SEE HERE (COULDN'T HAVE WRITTEN A BETTER REVIEW
> MYSELF!!):
>
>(snip)

Thats a review of the show, Adam - not the 'setlist', so it proves nothing. Its all opinions, isnt it?

No ones doubting that the show would have been great for anyone who was there. The only quibble was that they could have played a bit longer.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:35

yeah, Cardiff's review can appear in the NY times. Mine will be in the USA Today.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:36

Gazza Wrote:
> adamdean Wrote:
> -----
> > nikkibong Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > weak setlist
> >
> >
> > WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > SEE HERE (COULDN'T HAVE WRITTEN A BETTER
> REVIEW
> > MYSELF!!):
> >
> >(snip)
>
> Thats a review of the show, Adam - not the
> 'setlist', so it proves nothing. Its all opinions,
> isnt it?
>
> No ones doubting that the show would have been
> great for anyone who was there. The only quibble
> was that they could have played a bit longer.

somtimes gazza i just cant read all your quibble.............................its only rock-n-roll..........

Date: March 16, 2006 01:37

I'm honoured..I think

Date: March 16, 2006 01:39

some people here want this board to resemble a North Korean party congress or something. the reason we are here is to TALK about our favourite band; sometimes they do things we don't like, and we have a right to say that!

Date: March 16, 2006 01:43

tat2you Wrote:
>>
> somtimes gazza i just cant read all your
> quibble

you should see him when he dribbles!

Date: March 16, 2006 01:48

you're watching me too closely, too often!

Date: March 16, 2006 02:05

nikkibong Wrote:
> some people here want this board to resemble a
> North Korean party congress or something. the
> reason we are here is to TALK about our favourite
> band; sometimes they do things we don't like, and
> we have a right to say that!

Correct. And for the most part, what they do we happen to like very much. We wouldnt be here otherwise

Date: March 16, 2006 02:12

doubly correct.

damn, this is turning into a love-fest.

Date: March 16, 2006 02:31

..true, but I love them more than you. So there!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 16, 2006 05:07

JedDuffy1NYC, I so agree, very hot...Actually I think they've been super-animated, very intense and inspired from Rio through Buenos Aires, and then back in the
States with Little Rock and Las Vegas (I was there), and LA Forum, and Ft, Lauderdale, and now Radio City. The sound was the best I've heard yet. Audience mixture of real fans and newbies. Jed, I was in first mezz too.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 16, 2006 05:16

Well, Gazza, I decided to go at the last minute and I have to say that if I just read these reviews I would have said, " Gee, glad I stayed home and saved my money BUT this truly was one of the most inspiring performances I've seen from this band EVER! The intensity was palpable, they were really on fire probably because the crowd response surprised them! Most of the crowd stood, shouted the lyrics, danced all night long( ME TOO!) " Worried About You" was great beyond belief, my first time hearing it LIVE! BABY!!!!!!!!! We ended up in the pricey seats and got the crowd really going! Keith sounded like the Keith of ole, Ronnie was excellent, the sound was unreal!!! I WAS AMAZED! We even talked to the soundboard guys and told them what a great job they did and it DID feel like a big party! Finally got my theatre show Gazza, as you said, the closest I'll come this tour; that Kohl IS a big liar! I usually detest SHATERED but last night I loved it!! Gimme Shelter was a welcome addition to the set for me! Just count me thrilled that I went. And Gazza, I can tell you, you will not be disappointed by the shows you'll see soon if they play like they played last night, LIKE THE BAND I ALWAYS KNEW THEY WERE!

Date: March 16, 2006 12:02

Debra - I think most of the reviews were positive when it comes to the performance, so I didnt doubt it would be a good show.

Glad you decided to go and that the show ended up being worth it for you. I've just downloaded it so I look forward to hearing it tonight!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 16, 2006 12:04

It's already out Gaz??? How's the sound? And do you have a link????

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 16, 2006 12:07

Its on dimeadozen. Like I said, I;m downloading it so I cant comment on the sound yet

Date: March 16, 2006 12:08

Oh goodie goodie.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 16, 2006 12:08

Date: March 16, 2006 12:09

Thank you. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 16, 2006 13:36

Damn, I wish I could log in on Dad. Could someone seed it on the Rocks Off Bittorrent Tracker for those of us who can't get in?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 16, 2006 13:39

seed it on RO tracker, pretty-please

Date: March 16, 2006 14:43

I'd imagine it'll be up on our tracker pretty soon.

Whenw as the last time you tried to register for dime, however? their membership is at 92,900 at present - well below their 100,000 maximum. Cant see why you cant in?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 16, 2006 14:45

Gazza Wrote:

> Whenw as the last time you tried to register for
> dime, however? their membership is at 92,900 at
> present - well below their 100,000 maximum. Cant
> see why you cant in?

Well, I just retried: [www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 16, 2006 14:46

it's easier to get into an NHS dentist, than it is to get into Dime

Date: March 16, 2006 15:02

hmm..theyve obviously lowered their maximum capacity. It used to be 100,000

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 16, 2006 15:08

Gazza, my man, I'll email you tonight! I want to see what you think of the sound. We were so impressed, as I said, that we thanked the sound board guys on our way out. I DO agree that they could have played 2 more songs, just for the HELL of it! I wanted to stay all night the vibe was so right! NO SWAY! BOO HOO! Oh well, YCAGWYW. More later.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home