Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What Songs Did Charlie & Bill Play On On Dirty Work?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 15, 2006 01:13

There's a funk bass on several tracks that is not Wyman, and there is a very steady drummer that is not Watts on tracks like Winning Ugly and Back To Zero. The piano on Sleep Tonight is Tom Waits by the way.

Mathijs

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 15, 2006 01:22

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a funk bass on several tracks that is not
> Wyman, and there is a very steady drummer that is
> not Watts on tracks like Winning Ugly and Back To
> Zero. The piano on Sleep Tonight is Tom Waits by
> the way.
>
> Mathijs

Interesting stuff. Do you think it's Steve Jordan on Winning Ugly and Back To Zero?

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 15, 2006 01:58

It's not another drummer - it's a just a looped drum track with Charlie. They often did this in the studio, then overdubbed drum fills etc.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 15, 2006 04:22

Rockman! I read the same interview with Charlie. Hope you can find it, would love to re-read it. I think he also mention showing up at his Father's funeral drunk. Is this the same interview?

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: March 15, 2006 04:39

The Biff @#$%& Trio recorded about half of the Dirty Work rythm tracks.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 15, 2006 05:13

Drum machines -- the single biggest reason why 80's rock sucked.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 15, 2006 06:42

turd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not another drummer - it's a just a looped
> drum track with Charlie. They often did this in
> the studio, then overdubbed drum fills etc.

I've never heard of them doing that, whether in the 80s, before, or later. They don't really build songs in that way. Usually it's a long jam that they go edit down and dub over.

Date: March 15, 2006 12:23

Perhaps I should have said it could be a drum loop. I remember reading an article with Steve Lavine sometime after DW was released. It was a recording engineers magazine, he was discussing how he recorded the Stones, how he'd miked them up etc. He said something about using loops for various tracks, but didn't say on what tracks. He also said something about Charlie not being able to work with a click track. It would make sense then, if the producer was obsessed with perfect timing to grab a sample of Charlies drum track and loop it to form a basic rhythmn track, maybe to overdub live drums after - but I am only guessing.
If you listen to 'Might as well get juiced', the drums there are also looped - the cymbal crashes are the same on each couple of bars.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 15, 2006 18:52

Stein''s list is pretty much what I hear. I don't believe Wood's drumming on Too Rude (bass, guitar, backing vocs yes), but always thought he was on guitar on Winning Ugly. All trax 'cept maybe Back to Zero, but I'll have to give this album a listen soon as my curiosity is piqued. I like Wood's bass, too (from the Beck Group days and his Rod/Faces/Stones trax), certainly a contrast to Bill's style. Jordon & Drayton are thanked, but who knows if they may have been around for one or two of the many, many outtakes. So where is Charlie absent (besides 'Sleep'?) That's certainly him on the title cut, so without playing it before posting this - perhaps Too Rude, busier & more muscular sounding than is typical, tho it may be the production, or conceivably Back To Zero, although there the bassist may be coloring my perceptions, and I can't recall the high-hat on that track. It's worth recalling that Bill - as perfect and masterful a bassist for the RS as McCartney was for the Beatles - was absent for much of Goats Head and Exile as well. I think he might have been wiped from the final "Had it With You." (Ron on sax there?). Finally, Charlie stated on the famous 60 Minutes interview that he was addicted to both Heroin AND amphetemines (yikes!) during that period, and I always believed it was this, as much as the much ballyhooed Mick/Keith rupture, that kept the Stones from touring during that period. The cover, which everybody seems to hate (but me) is pretty revealing in itself - somebody made a futile attempt to tidy up Charlie's hair (he is uncharacteristically scruffy, unshaven, he averts his eyes from the camara in both photos); and Keith's knee appears to be directed at Mick's groin.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 15, 2006 20:01

turd, maybe the producer tried to use loops in the sessions, but I don't hear any on the album. Though I haven't listened to "Back to Zero" in a while... I guess if there was an album--besides Bridges, sure, the Dust Brothers used loops--where they were used, it would be this one. Though there might be some programmed percussion on "Rock and a Hard Place," too.

john r, I had long thought it was ron on "Winning Ugly," too, until I read the credit and then heard the song again. It's definitely keith... on a really good day. I like that song.

Date: March 15, 2006 21:57

I think this little fellow did nearly all the drumming on Dirty Work.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: March 16, 2006 16:25

Here is who`s playing what.
One hit: MJ, KR, BW, CW, RW acustic and electrik guitar, Also Jimmy Page
Fight: MJ; KR, CW, RW base, not Bill
Harlem Shuffel: MJ, KR, RW, BW, CW,
Hold Back: MJ, KR, RW, CW, Ivan Neville base, Not Bill
Too Rude: KR, CW, RW base, not Bill, not Mick
Winning ugly: MJ, KR, RW, CW,
Back to zero: MJ, KR, CW, RW base, BW Synth
Dirty Work: MJ, KR, RW, BW, CW,
Had it with you MJ, KR, CW, RW sax and guitar, not Bill no base at all
Sleep Tonight: KR, RW, BW, Ron on drums, not Charlie, Not Mick,
0,32: Ian Stewart piano

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1590
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home