Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: sway
Date: March 14, 2006 20:30

stickydion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reptile wrote: "People just like to complain. WE
> WANT SWAY!! WE WANT SWAY!! They get Sway. What
> they do? They start whining about the Stones
> needing to play more songs of A Bigger Bang.
> What's next...?"
>
> Well said, Reptile.

Did you read my first post on this thread by any chance?There is no reason that they can't do both.They've done it before & sold quite a few tickets while they were at it - more than they are selling now.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 14, 2006 20:31

I never liked this song.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 14, 2006 20:58

Damn, Miss U, I thought I was the only one. It really seems dull following "Brown Sugar". Bet there's more like us out there. Probably fixing to catch hell from some on here.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 14, 2006 21:41

Greil Marcus, excerpted from a review of Sticky Fingers in '71, included in David Dalton's 1972 book "The Rolling Stones":
"When the music is good on this album, as when the Stones are creating 'Sway,' unbearably loud and with an accelerating intensity that really begs for the release that the strings finally bring, when they take the music away (this song seems to fade UP instead of out), then there is little that can interfere with the impact of The Rolling Stones. 'Sway' is one of their finest performances, with a great title that made me think it was going to be a name-of-the-dance tune;...it may get lost like 'Singer Not The Song' or 'She Said Yeah,' but only because it's stuck between 'Brown Sugar' and 'Wild Horses,' which are so much easier to hear...If only 'Sway' and 'Dead Flowers' escape the basic conflict of the album, it's because they walk the line so well, Mick skirting 'black magic' to create an overwhelming sense of being trapped in the first and joking his way through the graveyard of an underground - where flower power has turned into funeral wreathes and acid utopias into grimy needles in the second....Their music is still much stronger than their confusion about what it is or what it is for, and that confusion, like the themes of the album itself, reflects events that both we and they share: Altamont, a plague of drugs, an isolation that has followed the weakening of a basically passive counter-culture, and a fragmenting audience for rock and roll."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 14, 2006 21:44

That's Greil's way of saying what can be summed up this way:

It's Good.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 14, 2006 21:46

Very good.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 15, 2006 02:44

I dare say, it is a GREAT song.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: March 15, 2006 03:00

i have the columbus version on boot. I went to Sunrise FL and that version kicked. I need a FLL boot cd. THE WHOLE CONCERT WAS UNBELEVABLE.

Posted by: Star ()
Date: March 15, 2006 03:02

yeah, it was great in Inglewood - I don't expect woody to sound like Taylor - they have their own styles of course, and I agree that it would be no use sounding just like the album, but it was a great live version in LA...
in fact it surprised me they did it so well...

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 15, 2006 03:09

It sounds like LA was the best version of the song up to this point. Look forward to hearing it.

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: March 15, 2006 17:23

Sounded great to me in Florida - can't wait for the boot!

One of my all time favorites with a different sound 35 years after the official release. I'll say that I got more of Charlie's bashing and banging intro at the Florida concert than listening to the C-bus boot. That equates to sounding a little more like the original. Don't know if they've worked on that or if I just got it more clear through the PA than through my speakers...

Anyway, ABB's SWAY is perfect...
1971 the song is sloppy and rough and ends with a guitar solo that drifts off into infinity. I think the song is about maturing, getting growed up.

2006 the song is more polished and gentler. Mick is singing it very tenderly. This year's take doesn't drift off into infinity, but the very grown up and a lot wiser Mick is able to conclude 'Love is the way to find out"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home