Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Last Time
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: March 12, 2006 00:44

This might be my favorite Stones tune. Musically, I consider it to be superior to Satisfaction. It's got that great youthful drive and energy that set the Stones apart from so many other bands then and now. Anyway, I read somewhere, I believe it was the Guardian, that The Last Time was in fact the FIRST riff-driven rock song ever. Is this indeed true?

Re: The Last Time
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2006 00:52

Aw Yeah neptune...Classic Stones track...wonder what Pop Staples thought when he heard it?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 12, 2006 01:10

"You don't try very hard to pleese me........With what you know it should be easy"
Is it just me who is a pervert, or.....
Strange that this didn't get censored in 65, as the consorship hit down on everything conserning sex.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 12, 2006 01:54

i love the No Security version, and think it this would be a great song to open concerts with. Im sorry but JJF as an opener is just tired.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 12, 2006 02:07

JJF as an opener is lunatic killer.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 12, 2006 02:23

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i love the No Security version,

Me too, I also love the '73 version of It's All Over Now. I always love how they break out the early 60 tunes.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 12, 2006 02:35

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i love the No Security version, and think it this
> would be a great song to open concerts with. Im
> sorry but JJF as an opener is just tired.

I like JJF as an opener but wouldn't mind seeing it alternate with another song. The Last Time is a great choice, either as an opener or later in the set. It's an excellent example of a song even casual fans probably know, yet it hasn't been played to death like Miss You and others.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 12, 2006 03:10

I read that muscially it was based on a staples singers song. does anyone know about that?

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: March 12, 2006 05:51

Erik_Snow said, ""You don't try very hard to pleese me........With what you know it should be easy"
Is it just me who is a pervert, or.....
Strange that this didn't get censored in 65, as the consorship hit down on everything conserning sex."

Good point - I think that the lyrics to this song were not as blantant as "Let's Spend The Night Together" - so it sorta slipped Under The Radar!
(The Beatles had songs that were like this: check out the lyrics to "Day Tripper":

She’s a big teaser, she took me half the way there
She’s a big teaser, she took me half the way there now

Tried to please her, she only played one night stands
Tried to please her, she only played one night stands now

Anway - The Last Time is one of my favorite Stones songs - great tune & riff, and has certainly stood the test of time.....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 12, 2006 10:36

I never thought of Last Time as an opener. It might be mis-understood. But why not, though too "soft". On the other hand, JJF to start with is somewhat wasting the best at the very beginning, same for SMU.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: March 12, 2006 11:03

Hey NikkiBong the No Security version is amazing i agree. I never tire of listening to it. The best live version of any of their early stuff. Worth the price of No Security just for that. I think it is one of the few times Keith and Ron have swapped roles. Ron is on rythm playing the main riff and keith plays the fills and solo's. It is great!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: March 12, 2006 12:44

The Last Time, 19th Nervous Breakdown, and Get Off My Cloud would be a great trio to rotate throughout the tour on the extended stage. There are three or four great soundboards of The Last Time from the BTB tour.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home