Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Thoughts about Honky Tonk Woman.
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 5, 2006 15:47

A fter hearing it five millions times...I still have a soft spot for this one!! What I like about the studio version ...is the way it starts and the sound of that drum....I really love the 69 live version...and to me the78 live version is the best!!! The 75 version with the percusion is fun ,fun, fun!I dont wanna say it ..but I have to be honest...I dont like the way ..they play it since 1990....The 81&82 I like to...wish they return to the stripped down country honk...cause I think it remains one of the greatest party songs!

Re: Thoughts about Honky Tonk Woman.
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 5, 2006 15:56

Gotta agree rooster, the studio version you just never get sick of and the '69 live version is fantastic. One of the highlights of the "Gimme Shelter" film/DVD also...

Date: March 5, 2006 15:58

If played slowly..with the long intro and than...I met a....in Menphis its a killer to me!!!I love the end part to...everybody going whoaaaaaa!!Thats pure heaven!!!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 5, 2006 16:47

Roos you just getting on the band wagon???

Date: March 5, 2006 17:18

There s a whole lott of wagons I ve been on....but I love the slow wagon...tjhe most...so I can enyoy a little longer!!!Cheers with a Snicker(today)RS sponsered''right''?

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 5, 2006 17:29

It's one of my favs. Sounds just the same as when I heard it 30 years ago.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: March 5, 2006 17:39

Sirius Stones station just played the YaYa's version and Country Honk back to back...just as I was reading this thread. How weird is that?????

Date: March 5, 2006 17:51

dj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sirius Stones station just played the YaYa's
> version and Country Honk back to back...just as I
> was reading this thread. How weird is that?????

Pure macig!!DJ..wich happens often!magical sounds brought to us by a magic band!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 5, 2006 18:33

an absolute all-time classic....the guitar playing/tone is hypnotizing....they were on top of their game with this track.....imo they never could top the studio version.....but the '69 versions are an amazing treat to listen to......the jaggedy guitar interplay is incredible.....and it's great to hear Mick and Keith singing the chorus together live

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 5, 2006 18:51

Love every version except maybe the one of Love You Live (which I still "like" very much)...

Date: March 5, 2006 18:51

And a number one smash hit in the USA!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 5, 2006 19:20

agreed.
I love the studio version and never get tired of it.

just listend to the MSG jan.18th version which is a bit shallow - but Rio really rocked again. especially with Ron's b-bender licks.
He really added something to it since the licks tour (I guess)

Date: March 5, 2006 19:33

By the By I love the love you live version!!!!

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: March 5, 2006 19:37

Listen to the 73 version - Brussels Affair.....

The song is faster and sounds very good - would love if they could play HTW this way.....

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 5, 2006 20:37

I was 16 when this song was released and still remember the shivers down my back when I first heard it while in a car. I was floored. What a sound, a fantastic mix by Miller! Still fresh today to these ears.

Posted by: Keefacaster ()
Date: March 5, 2006 22:48

my faviorateis the get your yaya's out virsion. so raw and bad ass!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 5, 2006 22:52

The title is Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 6, 2006 00:02

I can remember being sixteen and sitting on the floor of an abandoned cabin in Maine, smoking cigarettes and hanging out with some friends when the original single version came over the crappy little radio we were listening to...

I don't think it was the first time I had ever heard the song, but it was the first time that it ever dawned on me that it is a work of PURE AND ABSOLUTE GENIUS.

I can remember staring at the radio and trying to process the whole thing...it launched a love affair that was still going strong the other night when I listened to the "At The Max" version on headphones while pounding away on a treadmill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home