Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Whats the big deal with "getting on the field" ??
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: February 28, 2006 08:07

For the life of me I cant understand the consensus that "You have to be on the field" to MAKE the stones concert experience.

I was on the field for Voodoo Lounge show in Perth. Bought tickets that WERE about 20 rows from front, but the day before show and additional 30 or so rows were sold, right in front of stage, so I ended up about 50 rows back. Seats. Couldnt stand on seats and once everyone stood up, could only see the top half of the backdrop of the stage. VERY disappointed. Others I know got in the back area of the 'day before drop' (so about 20 rows back which is where I THOUGHT I'd be) and likewise, once those first 20 or so rows stood up, they could not see the stage properly either. People in the stands a similar distance from stage to me had uninterupted views and sound......

I KNOW a concert has to have punters standing...but from my experience UNLESS you're GUARANTEED seats in the first couple of rows, why bother??? You can hear, but not see...

Rgds
Rod
Perth

(toying with the idea of Sydney - in the front of the stands)....

Re: Whats the big deal with "getting on the field" ??
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 28, 2006 13:14

RoddyD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People in the stands a similar distance from stage to me had uninterupted
> views and sound......
>
> I KNOW a concert has to have punters standing...but from my experience UNLESS
> you're GUARANTEED seats in the first couple of rows, why bother??? You can
> hear, but not see...
>
> Rgds
> Rod
> Perth
>
> (toying with the idea of Sydney - in the front of
> the stands)....

Quite agree with you RoddyD. Personally, I've never ever entertained the idea of going for floor/pitch seats UNLESS we're talking first couple of rows. I'm 5 foot 5 inches tall, which unless you're in those crucial first couple of rows, is guaranteed to give you an EXCELLENT view of the back of someone's head - but little else. The lower stands tucked in close to the stage is the place to be otherwise, that's what I reckon. And as for "general admission" ........... I've done it once at Wembley in something like 1990 before they starting putting seats on the pitch. NEVER again. In addition to the visibility problems, you get crushed to near death. Bollocks !

Now if I were 6 foot 5 inches tall ............ ??? Well, that might be another story ??

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: February 28, 2006 14:02

Been in the stands and on the pitch.

Prefer the pitch FOS without seating.

Having said that the sound quality FOS is not as good as 20 or so rows back in the center.

The perfect place IMHO for good sound is between rows 15 & 30 as near to the centre as poss.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 28, 2006 14:35

To be honest, it's a real bitch if there isn't general admission. I've never attended a show were there were seat on the floor and that's mainly becuase i want to be in front. In Holland, and i think the rest of Europe, were there is general admission the FOS area is really the place to be. Perfect view very close to the stage, you are surrounded by only real stones fans so everybody is enthausiastic. The only time i wasn't on the floor was on the third Amsterdam arena show in '98. I was sitting somewhere in the stands and it was killing me. All i did was looking at the fos section where everybody was jumping and singing a long and if i was standing i got angry people behind me because they couldn't see. That's why I couldn't stand being on the floor with a seat 50 rows back. I wouldn't enjoy myself because i want to be in front!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:18

Yes Wuudy, I totally agree with you ! FOS is the only place to be .All seated stadiums - the end of rock'n roll!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 1, 2006 05:32

I agree. If you are over 20 rows back in a general admission pitch, you might as well buy the DVD. I know everyone hates a seated pitch, but the seats actually help quite a bit because they put space between the rows.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: March 1, 2006 05:50

Buggered if seats help the VIEW if your 30 or more rows back though........I can only speak of my Perry Lakes Perth Voodoo experience where IF you tried to improve your view (from 50 rows back where I ended up being) by STANDING ON your seats (my wife is 4' 11" tall and she HAD to do this) security came along and told you to get back onto ground coz people BEHIND you can't see. Well THAT'S WHY I am standing on my seats...I CANT see anything because everyone in front of me is standing...............sucks big time.

Lower stands for me towards the sides closing in on stage this time.

Rod
Perth

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 1, 2006 12:12

RoddyD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Lower stands for me towards the sides closing in on stage this time.
>
> Rod
> Perth

Good decision RoddyD, good decision !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home