Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Recent Records Released Vs ABB
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 26, 2006 22:42

The last two studio records I have bought are ABB and Prairie Wind by Neil Young.
After a few months I still lsiten to ABB but for me if the lyrcis are not real strong then I get bored with the record since the music has no real substance for
me,the same simple jagger/richards arranegements lose my interest.With Neil Young
he has put a a great record the haunting lyrics that put you in that space Only
Neil Young can manufacture with his vocals and delivery.Neil Young just cant write a love song even when he trys the pain comes through and your along for the
ride.Neil Young's acoustic guitar playing is great and for me he plays a riff on
the song prairie wind that is classic neil you know those riffs neil writes or
hammers off the c chord that you want to learn and play.Neils new record is a breath of fresh air and i would recommend it.it comes with a dvd and you can watch along in the studio as he records each song.He actually gave you the dvd the same time when you buy the record and not like the stones who made you buy ABB twice to get the DVD.

Re: Recent Records Released Vs ABB
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 26, 2006 23:02

open G--

i agree, neil's new disc is simply beautiful, lyrically and musically. (and by the way, so is the new film "neil young: heart of gold").

but it's apples and oranges to compare his record to ABB. they are entirely different types of music. and why do we have to compare, anyway? let's just be glad there are geniuses like the stones and mr young who continue to make great music spanning 35 years or more!!

drew

Posted by: drake ()
Date: February 26, 2006 23:03

IMHO, Neil Young is incredibly lame and uncompelling. I'm sure that dvd/cd combo is a nice addition to any Neil Young collection but it simply cant compare to some of the newer bands out there. A few bands you might want to look into to 'freshen up' your music collection...

Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops (This disc will be released next month. I recieved a pre-release copy of it and I have to say its fantastic.)

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (Fantastic danceable rocknroll. Dueling guitars, dead on drumming, etc... etc... GET THIS.)

Stars - Set Yourself on Fire (Melodic pop music. Very catchy. Some incredibly good song composition on this.)

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (Not really a 'recent' release although it seems to have gone unheard by an incredible amount of people.)

The Arcade Fire - Funeral (One of the coolest albums I have ever purchased. If you dig ambient/melodic rock music you will dig this. I have yet to find anyone who doesnt dig this band.)

None of these artists packed DVDs with their discs, its just straightup music. To be honest I really could care less about the DVD aspect of cd releases. I watched the ABBSE DVD once and that was enough for me. It wasnt indepth and the only reason I bought the special edition was for the two bonus tracks. Once I extracted the audio from those two tracks I was done with it.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 27, 2006 08:52

I couldn't agree with you more Open G.

Ray Davies's Other People's Lives is also significantly better.

A Bigger Bang really does lack substance after initial listens. The album promises so much at first but ultimately delivers so very little.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: February 27, 2006 09:50

For me BiggerBang is still for a very long time the album of teh Stones. It's compact it's dancaeble it's dirty enough it's garage and clean enough. Imagine they would release today Exile you would not even think about this band for one minute, because the spirit of then is the history of today.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 27, 2006 14:53

Yes ABB started off so strong and then for me just 'poof'. I don't get it. It's the lyrics IMO that are just not there. They don't leave anything. There is really nothing I caRRY WITH ME.
Like drake I also have heard the new Secret Machines and am blown away. And the Arcade Fire album is one of th best ones in a long time.
Lucinda Willimas, the Music, Robert Plant, Supergrass, and the three Ryan Adams albums are the best Rockalbums I have gotten lately.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:15

Neil is fabulous. But, Prairie Wind is a major letdown for me after the enornous buildup and hype. Not in the class of Harvest Moon...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:17

This is a Rolling Stones Fan board?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:28

I would like to recommend the recent Bonnie Prince Billy (Will Oldham) live record "Summer in the Southest", I think many Stones fans of the classic 1969-1974 period would really love this album. It has a loose rootsy feel with great songs, many of the quality of say Wild Horses or Dead Flowers, no kidding, give it a listen it will knock you out.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:29

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a Rolling Stones Fan board?

It is a day of joy when one meets a persin as observant and intelligent as you. grinning smiley

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Friends?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:36

I'll bite ur ankles next time..........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home