Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LIve Aid
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 28, 2006 13:52

I also rememebr watching the whole thing. I just couldn't stop. The funniest things were the early morning acts: Status Quo and Ozzy! coming out, insisting to take his shirt off and yelling "We love you all" over and over.
Phil Collins was so annoying because all the coverage he was getting with Concorde flight. But the worst thing was he constantly waving into the camera with thaT STUPID grin. It is still hard for me to outright hate him because I am a huge fan of Gabriel-era Genesis; and Collins is a BITCH drummer.
Queen stole the show that day. But I also rememebr Thoimpson Twins were good; Madonna too. And Prince sent in a video.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 28, 2006 13:55

And no matter how much one hates Hall and Oates, they put out a serious string of hits but more than that they had assembled a very good band: GE Smith (who should have joined the Stones at somepoint), TBone Wolk and that drummer.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:57

I watched the whole thing too myself and taped it. I think I have 2 VHS tapes on it with all the commercials.

It was a beautiful hot day here to. The thing that I always remember the most is Queens performance at Wembley. Just a sea of people swaying back and forth with their arms in the air.

I was thinking to myself this is one of the best audience shots I've ever seen. England was rocking.

A bunch of us gathered to watch Jagger at night do his set. Longest concert I ever saw.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2006 18:21

tomk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No matter what you think of the performance,
> Dylan's song selection was quite inspired and went
> way over the heads
> of those there and those watching on TV.
> Ballad of Hollis Brown about the desparation one
> goes through,
> When The Ship Comes In (a brilliant choice) about
> end times
> (sorry all you secularists, but that's what it's
> about),
> and Blowing In The Wind to keep the punters
> happy.
> Too bad Ken Kragen and his kind shut off the
> monitors
> as Dylan had the most to say.
>

yup

and it also inspired Farm Aid, so not a bad thing at all.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:45

of course some of us were there (at Wembley).

Many people were thinking before the event, this thing can't work, could be a hugely embarassing fiasco, a whopping £25 for a ticket etc.

As it turned out....the most amazing day in my life !!

The highlight of the day...
...the video accompanying The Cars 'Drive'...watch it and weep.

U2 the best artist on the day.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:56

Hello barking paul, my dog-like disciple friend, I remember that video so well. It brings back fond memories. I discovered just recently that Benjamin Orr (of the cars and writer of that song) died. Bummer. Now who's gonna drive you home...tonight.

Date: February 28, 2006 22:42

Were we watching the same video? Fond memories from that footage???

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:50

Lukester Wrote:
I discovered just recently that Benjamin Orr (of the cars and writer of that song) died.> Bummer. Now who's gonna drive you home...tonight.

Speaking of the "Drive" video, during my NYC days, I found myself at a dinner seated directly across from Paulina. She was great, we really hit it off, in fact, she asked me if I would consider working for her, but I said no.

We spent most of the dinner talking about music, mostly Beatles and Stones. And to tie in with the other big thread of today, she was majorly in love with George Harrison ever since she was a little girl. She also was in love with Keith, but not as much. She likes that skinny, dark-haired guy look apparently.

Seated next to Paulina was Victor Bockris who wrote the Keith biography a few years back. It was sort of loud so I didn't really get to speak with him too much tho.

That was such a cool night!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:04

easy now Chelsea, I happened to love that song...and video.

CindyC, it's always a pleasure to hear your stories. Wow, that does sound like a fun night. What kind of work would you have been doing for her (just to be nosy)?

Date: February 28, 2006 23:21

Lukester Wrote:

CindyC, it's always a pleasure to hear your stories. Wow, that does sound like a fun night. What kind of work would you have been doing for her (just to be nosy)?

She asked if I would be her personal assistant. She was my favorite model when I was a teenager (before that Patti Hansen was, and this was before I ever even knew who KR was) so I was tempted, but that wouldn't have been a great career choice. I'm sure the novelty of that wears off pretty quickly.

I have to tell you though, I'm not gay, but she was DROP DEAD gorgeous! I totally would have done her.

I hope I'm not coming off like a total name-dropper. That's really tacky. Let me know.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:36

CindyC, I'm still trying to wipe the steam off my monitor. Whew...thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cindy, if you've got the names to drop, drop them. This is a fan web-site. I can't think of a more appropriate place for such story telling. Personally, I enjoy your stories. I've never been so fortunate as to have rubbed elbows (or whatever you and Lenny Kravits were rubbing) with the stars. I can live vicariously through your stories. Your stories are, in my opinion, presented in a humble manner. I think a "name dropper" would present his or her stories in a more arrogant manner. Keep them coming (the stories that is).

Date: March 1, 2006 00:05

Hey Luke, if you're shooting steam on your monitor, you might want to go see a doctor about that.

Anyway, thanks for the rest of your post. :-)

Ok, I think we are on the verge of killing this thread, so let's get back to it.

Live Aid, Let's see... I remember watching it and thinking, I bet Mick boinks Madonna tonight. I would actually like to hear more stories from the guy that was at Wembley (it's on the other page right now and I can't see his name). Like what was the actual experience like, because you're there in an assigned seat all day, right? Unlike Woodstock where you kind of tent out and can walk around.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:03

so barking paul, how was it? assigned seats? blazing hot sun? porta johns on the field? long concession lines? sharing of dirty needles behind the sound truck?

Don't bark your reply, howl it.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:10

That is a good story Cindy. I bet many people would have jumped into that job regardless if it made sense or not. I have never talked to anyone who was at either of the two shows from LiveAid.
BTW Lukester I was asking for real if maybe there had been two different videos. That was a great tune that Orr sang. Always thought that it was miles above the rest of the Cars stuff. I just recently found out that Orr actually sang a lot more of their hits.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:27

Hey Chelsea. I saw the Cars twice and, I gotta tell you, it was that Orr kid that had the good voice. Rick Ocasik had the more extreme, quirky, signature Cars sound, but I prefered Orr's songs.

Chelsea, you're from Georgia, right? The first time I saw the Cars was in 1979 at this big outdoor concert in Georgia Tech's stadium called the Champagne Jam. I was mostly there to see Aerosmith and the Atlanta Rythym Section, but let me tell you, the Cars stole the show for me. They had just come out with their second album, Candy-O, and they cooked!!! I've been a fan ever since.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:32

Lukester Wrote:
They had just come out with their second album, Candy-O, and they cooked!!! I've been a fan ever since.

I still listen to Candy-O a lot. It's actually good to play to work, the songs all sort of flow into each other. But you guys are right-on about Orr having the better voice.

Oh yeah, one more Orr/Paulina thing at that dinner. Someone gave me a cigarette and I don't smoke, but I was drinking, so I took it anyway. I can't smoke cigs cool to save my life and Ric and Paulina & Liv Tyler were all trying to teach me. It was funny. I'm a dork, I just can't smoke cool.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:38

What do you do these days Cindy?
Hi Luke. Yes, we are now based in Atlanta. That is, we keep all the stuff here and practice here too. But I can't say that I am from here.
Never liked the Cars very much; they came off too calculated. Ocasek always struck me as wanting so hard to be the US Bryan Ferry. His lyrix were gobblydeegook, using Frry-ish frenchified expressions. Elliott easton though was good. And one tune I LOVEd is called "Touch and Go". Talk about a syncopated bassline...

Date: March 1, 2006 01:46

CindyC, someone gave you a cigarette? Like in a Humphrey Bogart movie? I've gotta party with you girl. Now you spring the Liv Tyler story on me? What other stories have you got up your sleeve? You dork!!

(just kidding about the dork thing)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:48

Hey, Lukester, I was at Champagne Jam II with the Cars, ARS, Aerosmith, etc.. Did Mothers Finest kick some ass that day or what? I think it was Baby Jean's birthday. Have a great story to share, but not on here. E-mail me for a great laugh!

Also at CJI with Eddie Money, the Doobies, Santana, ARS, and Mothers Finest.
Also, the 1st year it was called Dog Day Rock Fest - Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Heart, ARS, and (drum roll please) Bob Seger!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 1, 2006 04:39

CindyC Wrote:
> Lukester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I discovered just recently that Benjamin Orr (of
> the cars and writer of that song) died.>
> Bummer. Now who's gonna drive you
> home...tonight.
>
>
> Speaking of the "Drive" video, during my NYC days,
> I found myself at a dinner seated directly across
> from Paulina. She was great, we really hit it
> off, in fact, she asked me if I would consider
> working for her, but I said no.
>
> We spent most of the dinner talking about music,
> mostly Beatles and Stones. And to tie in with
> the other big thread of today, she was majorly in
> love with George Harrison ever since she was a
> little girl. She also was in love with Keith, but
> not as much. She likes that skinny, dark-haired
> guy look apparently.
>
> Seated next to Paulina was Victor Bockris who
> wrote the Keith biography a few years back. It
> was sort of loud so I didn't really get to speak
> with him too much tho.
>
> That was such a cool night!
>
> Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real
> well.

Wow--that's cool--really enjoyed reading your post(s)--quite the life experience!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home