Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: U2 plays She's a Rainbow
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 13, 2006 11:34

Yestarday in Monterrey U2 played "She's a Rainbow"....just to warm-up the fans cause the real thing's playing there in 2 weeks...

Re: OT: U2 plays She's a Rainbow
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:19

Jesus. I've always called U2 "rainbow-huggers" but that's ridiculous.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: WNY Stones ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:23

AHHHH! U2 following in The Stones footprnts again. I rest my case.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:26

Well, it's a great, great song. Many bands would like to sing it I guess.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:36

I checked the set list of the U2 concerts but no Rainbow song in there. Would have loved to hear there version of the song!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:45

They didn't play the whole song, just a snippet at the end of "Beautiful Day".

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: February 13, 2006 20:16

Looks like they did play it.....

[www.u2tours.com]

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: February 13, 2006 20:28

The band themselves did not play it. As per what Bono normally does, he sang a short lyrical excerpt from it over the ending of Beautiful Day. He's been doing this for decades and being the big Stones fan that he is, he has frequently sang excerpts from Stones songs including Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy For The Devil and Fool To Cry among others.

There are still rumors that Bono will join the Stones on stage in Rio. U2 arrive from Mexico City into Sao Paulo on the morning of the 18th and rumors abound that they will continue on to Rio to attend the show that night, before playing in Sao Paulo on 20-21.

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: February 13, 2006 20:31

Bono just sand a verse from the song. U2 fans call it a "snippet". They do about a dozen during their shows, usually at the end of songs. They don't perform the music, and Bono usually just rattles off a random lyric. Nothing special. You probably wouldn't even have noticed it if you were there.

Posted by: Half Nanker ()
Date: February 13, 2006 20:37

Halup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> There are still rumors that Bono will join the
> Stones on stage in Rio. U2 arrive from Mexico City
> into Sao Paulo on the morning of the 18th and
> rumors abound that they will continue on to Rio to
> attend the show that night, before playing in Sao
> Paulo on 20-21.

That is too big of a photo and media opportunity for Bono not to stick his nauseating mug into the middle of it all. Just wait, here we go...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:16

Um, yeah - like he's going to walk onto the Stones' stage and perform without THEM asking him first

If he does join them and it pisses some folks off so much, it's the Stones' doing...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:24

danielb Wrote:
> Bono just sand a verse from the song. U2 fans call
> it a "snippet". They do about a dozen during their
> shows, usually at the end of songs.

That sounds like a really stupid idea. I would hate it
if I was a U2 fan.

Date: February 13, 2006 21:27

Well, good thing you can choose not to be a U2 fan. Because if you were a U2 fan, you probably would not "hate it".

It's actually a nice way to pay homage to a song, an artist or a quote that resonates with the band.

TooTough Wrote:
>
> That sounds like a really stupid idea. I would
> hate it
> if I was a U2 fan.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> --------
>
>

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:28

I´m gonna be Stoned for this; but I´m sure they do it better than the Stones would now.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:34

Don't hope Bono will join Stones Rio ..... that will certainly ruin the consert....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:34

No for X:s sake, for sure, no no! NO!!

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:41

As a very big U2 fan and a Stones fan I would really enjoy if Bono and the Edge came on stage. Although, Its Only Rock N Roll in Chicago didnt sound to hot when I listened to it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:47

danielb Wrote:
> Well, good thing you can choose not to be a U2
> fan. Because if you were a U2 fan, you probably
> would not "hate it".
>
> It's actually a nice way to pay homage to a song,
> an artist or a quote that resonates with the
> band.

I always have the feeling that Bono isn´t paying tribute
to anyone when doing 4 or 5 snippets of songs he likes.
Paying tribute means another thing to me.

Well, I´ve chosen the right band.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 13, 2006 21:52

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> I´m gonna be Stoned for this; but I´m sure they do
> it better than the Stones would now.

Baboon, if you're talkin' about playing rock music live, be sure you won't make such a statement again after seeing the Stones live in Gothenburg. just wait and see. Bono & C. aren't and will never be in the same league of the Stones. This just to set the record straight, here.

Date: February 13, 2006 22:13

Gazza Wrote:
> Um, yeah - like he's going to walk onto the
> Stones' stage and perform without THEM asking him
> first
>
> If he does join them and it pisses some folks off
> so much, it's the Stones' doing...

That's completely right.

People on here don't seem to realize that the Stones, at least Mick, Keith and Ronnie are great friends, as well as fans of U2 for over 20 years. These 2 bands have had a lot of interaction between them since 1985. It's not a case of the Stones or U2 trying to jump on the band wagon of each other. These bands have had a long mutual admiration.

A lot of people on here go seek out blues artsists that the Stones were fans of, but completely write off one of the only comtemporary acts that they advocate. Who really cares if U2's music is not based that much in the blues?

Pete Townshend is a huge U2 fan. Bruce Springsteen has been a huge fan of theirs since 1981. The Stones obviously love them. Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Robbie Robertson and Peter Gabriel all like them. Many of the greatest names in rock and roll seem to see a lot in this band that many Stones fans just choose to hate.

Musicians seem to have the ability to enjoy music regardless of the genre or who its by, yet their fans frequently turn out to be pretty 1 dimensional in their likes. I met Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols a few years ago and he talked to me about how much he likes James Brown and Macy Gray. Many hard core Pistols fans would probably think he's crazy because he does not only like punk like them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-13 22:16 by Halup.

Posted by: Half Nanker ()
Date: February 13, 2006 22:16

stonestom Wrote:
> As a very big U2 fan and a Stones fan I would
> really enjoy if Bono and the Edge came on stage.
> Although, Its Only Rock N Roll in Chicago didnt
> sound to hot when I listened to it.

2 things to insert here and I was at The Aragon:

1. Bono "surprised" the boys in Chicago at The Aragon show, but I'm sure those behind the scenes gave the nod.

2. His surprise, while kind of "fun" to have something spontaneous happen, ruined the song further than it has already been ruined over the past 16 years.

This guy is an opportunist extraordinaire. Why does everyone just melt at the idea of Bono being anywhere? He is unbelievable.

Posted by: ICTJL ()
Date: February 13, 2006 22:22

U2 is a great (live) band!

Date: February 13, 2006 22:23

ICTJL Wrote:
> U2 is a great (live) band!

Many of the greatest names in rock and roll history, including the Stones, feel this way, but a lot of Stones fans don't seem to understand why their heroes like U2.

Date: February 13, 2006 22:32

I never really understood or cared much for U2. (Although Achtung Baby is a classic). I always much prefered R.E.M. for better albums, more organic music, less pomp and circumstance.

I married a U2 girl and have seen them twice. I must say, that they put on one hell of a show. The Edge is one of the most unique and underrated guitarists of the last 25 years. And what band has done more with less (as far as a rhythm section goes).

Although Bono can be a bit much, and they certainly are no Stones, they are a great band.

It really doesn't make any sense to compare the two (why would you want to), but you must recognize that there was very little memorable real music that orginated in the 80's, and U2 should at the very least be commended for that.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: February 13, 2006 22:37

U2 is a great band, I've seen some of the audience clips shot on the Vertigo tour and they kicked ass. Same goes for REM, has anybody seen them perform at Live 8? - They ruled Hyde Park.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 13, 2006 22:48

Halup, I think you interpret too much into it, all the bands you named are people who are very respectful of U2's popularity and financial clout, but I have to laugh imagining Keith or Elvis Costello relaxing at the end of the day with one of U2's sad case albums, I dont think so, hahahahahahahhaaaaa

Your Glen Matlock story is also nice only problem James Brown is a genius and Macy Gray is interesting,while U2 bite the mega weenie.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 13, 2006 22:57

To add a bit more negativity, I saw U2 recently it was embarrasing, Bono is a fat clown, his voice sucks, its like karaoke. The drummer was pissed off the whole gig, he sounded like his hands were made of cement. Great,charge a 100 bucks and dont even try (thank god i didnt pay for the ticket). The other 2 also seemed pretty bored, I wouldnt call the Edge's Joy Division lifts inspiring. Singalonga feel good puke, on the same level as Bon Jovi, no doubt about it.

Date: February 13, 2006 23:00

humanriff77 Wrote:
> Halup, I think you interpret too much into it, all
> the bands you named are people who are very
> respectful of U2's popularity and financial clout,
> but I have to laugh imagining Keith or Elvis
> Costello relaxing at the end of the day with one
> of U2's sad case albums, I dont think so,
> hahahahahahahhaaaaa
>
> Your Glen Matlock story is also nice only problem
> James Brown is a genius and Macy Gray is
> interesting,while U2 bite the mega weenie.

Elvis Costello went to around 8 U2 concerts in 2001 and raved about them in interviews, so I imagine he plays their albums as well.

Perhaps Keith does not play U2 albums at the end fo the day, but he repects them enough for he and Ronnie to actually record with Bono and for him to play live onstage with U2.

These guys were into U2 prior to their having anywhere near the success they have today, so they are into them for liking their music, not because of the popularity or financial clout.

As far as U2, you give no reasons for why they "bite the mega weenie". Care to elaborate?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 14, 2006 01:04

I would love to see Edge play with the stones. He is a awesome guitarist IMO. If they are in town i could see this happening. Edge played on at least one of Ronnie's solo albums and Keith played with U2 on stage so it has a good change of happening. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: February 14, 2006 01:16

It could happen in Rio.

The Stones like to have guests in the shows they use for dvd release and the guys from U2 are the biggest and most appropriate guests they would have access to, plus they are great friends of each other.

U2 is not playing in Rio, for whatever reason. Bono in particular has publicly stated he would have liked to have U2 play in Rio, in part as a way up making up to fans in Rio who missed their show there in 1998, due to horendous traffic. Appearing onstage with the Stones at a free public concert is at least a chance to play in front of a Rio audience, even if only for 1 song.

Supposedly Bono was to have sang on Paint It Black at the Hollywood Bowl on November 6th, at the show that The Edge attended, but it did not happen. If this really was true, then it seems mor likely it could happen in Rio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-14 01:18 by Halup.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home