Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Elvin Suite
Posted by: shawnriffhard ()
Date: February 12, 2006 19:57

Just wondering if anyone digs this toon as much as I do.? First on the Charlie watts/ Jim Keltner album then on Charlie live @ Ronnie Scott's. Blondie is WAY underrated. I saw him @ The Joint in between Hollywood Bowl shows with Waddy and his band (who play every Mon.) plus Bernard who stopped in for a few toons.There was a gorgeous blonde ,by the side of the stage on her knees who, as Rockin' in the Free World started pulled down her top to reveal a pair of spectacular boobs which she massaged and caressed until the toon wass done. Sort of a rock and roll cheerleader!

The point at the Joint was music though and Waddy was Amazing. When Blondie came on he did a few backup things, then sang Sail on Sailor while playing guitar in a VERY familiar sounding way (how much guitar does he actually contribute to the sound you hear coming out of the speakers at the Stones show?).

The most amazing thing to me was how well he played tambourine. I never recall thinking, WOW, that guy is really playing the hell out of that thing. NEVER. But he made me realise there's more to it than you think.

In the case of Elvin's Suite, I can see coming up with a movie just to carry the piece to a larger audience. It should have been pushed as a single. Great, powerful number that builds, and ebbs and flows in a heroic fashion, without ever seeming bloated or overwrought.

Peace, Shawnriffhard

Re: Elvin Suite
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 12, 2006 20:09

I guess its for Elvin Jones.I would say Charlie is the Elvin Jones of rock n roll drummers.

Can you post the track would be intetersting to hear it?

Re: Elvin Suite
Posted by: Charles ()
Date: February 12, 2006 21:49

Charlie Watts as the Elvin Jones of drummers? Styles are so different you know. It's funny because I am just now listening to the 7 disc boxset of the "Live Trane" which is their live stuff from Europe in 1961. The Eric Dolphy spots are beautiful. Gracias à la biblioteca por esto!

Elvin was too experimental to be compared to any rock and roll drummer. In terms of just performance ability I would agree that the two are on par with each other in their respective field. The analogy holding, I would put Keith Moon in the rock world joined together in a tenuous link to the pounding thunder of Art Blakey in his hard bop corner of the world.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home