Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why did everyone hate the superbowl show???
Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 12, 2006 18:46

I guess people who bashed that performance are not used to witnessing such rocking shows. They did not understand it and that's why they did not like it

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 12, 2006 20:46

You have been talking to the wrong people!Most loved it.And the ones who didn't,well it provoked a reaction.And thats what Art does.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 12, 2006 21:46

I thought it was excellent--it was true RnR, which means
there will be missed notes and other imperfections. It's funny
everything I read in the press and AOL (what a joke they are)
trashes the performance but then when I speak to people on an individual
basis the feedback is invariably positive.

I totally agree with those who say the "knocks" are in large part
because it is "cool" thing to do.

Take that performance warts and all over some bogus taped performance. Anyone remember Shania Twian from a couple of yrs ago?

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 12, 2006 21:57

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyone remember Shania
> Twian from a couple of yrs ago?

no, thank god

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 12, 2006 22:03

i dare any band to write tunes that great......and perform them decades later at that age in front of the whole world, that raw & real & exiting......i dare ya

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 12, 2006 22:17

Critics have always knocked the Stones
so there's nothing new here. If you
liked the show, that should be enough.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 12, 2006 22:28

30 years ago they said the stones have to go and ''ís to old;;;in the way''éct.....I saw Jagger smile at that bowl it made me feel good!It gave me a change to drift away!

Date: February 12, 2006 23:33

Haters....Nobody seems to be able to get past the fact that they're old.Old or not they're still among the best,if not the best band going.Some people just don't like rock 'n' roll.It's too bad they didn't have enough time for one more song to show people that they have more types of songs than just rock 'n' roll.At least they can play live although,the sound system problems probably didn't help their cause.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 14, 2006 13:09

Mathijs Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What type of music does these boardmembers
> you
> > mention listen to???
> >
> >
> > Horsens June 8th. I told you so.
>
>
> Most of the members are vintage guitar freaks,
> some having litteraly a million dollars worth of
> collections. Most are around 50 years old, and all
> drenched in late '60s, early 70's guitar music:
> Duane Allman, Clapton, Paul Bloomfield, ZZ Top,
> Peter Green, Stones (mostly Mick Taylor), Led
> Zeppelin etc.
>
> Mathijs
>

The thing is: I've been searching for a good guitar forum (To learn licks and to get tabs and all that). Do you know one that would fit those needs. And BTW it isn't just me that's searching. I also know a few guys who looks for it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: February 14, 2006 13:42

I stayed late at night (in France) in order to see them performing "Live" at the SB.I have had to endure the game (like most europeans I don't understand well the rules of american football) before seing the tongueshape stage being set up.
I was worried about Ron playing weird solos ,embarassing everyone,or Keith doing too much posing and not enough playing....
Needless to say I was wrong to worry about all these things.The performance was very good ,Ron nailed very good solos and Keith was so focused on his guitar.Maybe Mick appeared time to time out of breathe but truly if I can get this kind of performance in Paris or London I would be more than happy.It was pure Rock and it should have satisfied anyone.Who cares about their wrinkles?wouldn't you like to be fit as Mick when you are 63?
Is America still interested in Rock n Roll?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 14, 2006 14:46

My only complaint was that they might have opened with Just My Imagination for Detroit. Otherwise, I thought they gave it 100%. Rough Justice and Satisfaction were very well done. The nay sayers just don't get it, and that's all right with me. The longer the Stones put it on the line when they go out on stage the more shit they will get from people. It is a shame, but this is how it has evolved. The big money tickets had alot to do with this IMHO, but they are still packing venues and generally deliver a great 2 hour concert. I am not sure what people really want from them, except some more imaginative setlists which is justified criticism given their massive catalogue.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 14, 2006 15:23

The Stones were not going to win in a Detroit Superbowl situation. All of the talk that week was blasting the NFL for not choosing Motown (code for black) acts for the entire show. (The pre-game wasn't enough.) The Stones could have come out and put on a 3 song set that was as great as 72 or as polished as 89 and it would not have mattered. All of the talking heads are simply pandering to those who believe the Stones should have been replaced by a Motown (black) act. If they would have played Ain't Too Proud to Beg or Just My Imagination, oh my God....they truly would have been crucified in the media. The Stones did great...they were just in a no-win situation.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 14, 2006 15:40

Agree with olympia, melillo, debra and others.

I thought it was really loud, really fast, really sloppy, and really, really good.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: February 14, 2006 15:44

"The sound was bad which hurt the Stones. I think Mick exerted way to much energy on Start me Up and was left empty for the rest of the show. Listen to Jagger on Satisfaction he can barely sing the 2nd verse. On Satisfaction the shirt he was wearing showed all that flab on his arms. ewwwwwwwwwww. There to old."

This is what I was told by all the teenie boppers and all my college buddies. I still got chills however but the sound really hurt them. It was horrible for those with crappy tv's I guess. I couldnt hear Ronnie and barely Richards. I think that was why they got bad reviews by everyone, and I mean everyone, I talked to who watched it.

Date: February 14, 2006 16:48

The Rolling Stones at 62 years old put on a damn fine show! Most people say the Stones peak was 1969-1972. How do you think Joe Namath, Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Willis Reed, and Bobby Orr would do if they had to participate in their respective sports in today's world. My favorite actor of all time, Clark Gable, was dead at age 61....the Stones hold their own on any level....when you consider their age....it is even more incredible. To all of the young nay-sayers out ther....may you look, sound and move as good as the Rolling Stones when you are 60 something. Enough of all this!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 14, 2006 16:52

WNY Stones Wrote:
> The Stones kicked ass. i wish everybody would quit
> listening to mathijs. This guy spends more time on
> dicusion boards thaank anybody. Another trait of a
> wannabe.

Ha, there you are, my favourite idiot!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 14, 2006 18:22

What's this crap about flab on Mick's arms?? He doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 14, 2006 18:30

stonestom Wrote:
> "The sound was bad which hurt the Stones. I think
> Mick exerted way to much energy on Start me Up and
> was left empty for the rest of the show. Listen to
> Jagger on Satisfaction he can barely sing the 2nd
> verse. On Satisfaction the shirt he was wearing
> showed all that flab on his arms. ewwwwwwwwwww.
> There to old."
>
> This is what I was told by all the teenie boppers
> and all my college buddies. I still got chills
> however but the sound really hurt them. It was
> horrible for those with crappy tv's I guess. I
> couldnt hear Ronnie and barely Richards. I think
> that was why they got bad reviews by everyone, and
> I mean everyone, I talked to who watched it.

flabby arms? I wish my arms were "flabby"like that. I mean I'm not fat, but he's got some muscle to his arms.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 14, 2006 18:45

Looks like muscle to me. (from Charlotte, NC in October)

Date: February 14, 2006 18:46

I thought it was fantastic and well done.

I loved the interviews on ABC and also the pre-game interviews with Mick and then Keith. I just got it on DVD yesterday.
First watching it on my TV I didn't even notice Micks microphone was off in beginning. Also, when it was over and Mick goes to walk off the stage and Keith calls Mick back to do the bow thing.
Love the undressing of the tounge and then the crowd under it. Just very well done and Mick was moving around ALOT again. The sound was fantastic!!!

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: February 14, 2006 20:32

I didn`t hate it, but I`ve seen them better...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2006 20:38

No matter WHO played the Superbowl, most of the general public are not going to like it. thats the nature of public taste - regardless of how popular your music is, its easy to forget that MOST people dont like your work

Screw the general public. Its quite clear to anyone with a brain cell that most people wouldnt know good rock n roll if it jumped up and bit them on the arse. Dubious sound system aside, the Stones themselves were bloody good. If the rest of the world dont have the taste to appreciate that, thats their bloody problem, not ours.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 14, 2006 20:40

Amen. End of superbowl story

Date: February 14, 2006 20:46

I believe the Stones were pissed at the media reaction to their Superbowl appearance. They did not expect the bitterness and neither did we. Their first show after the Superbowl was Atlanta and they played with a passion I may have never seen before. They were on a mission. All I can say was mission accomplished....I hope they continue with the same urgency and passion for my European brethren.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: February 14, 2006 21:42

The flab is old man flab. Old people get it, when he wears those skimpy shirts and raises his arms horizontally it shows. I see it. Its not a big deal I mean shit he is 62 but people are disguisted by it. I still love the guy.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 14, 2006 21:44

I heard the first feedback from a friend last night and he said he and his wife turned it off in the middle of it! When I asked why, he said the sound was bad and that the boys were so far away from each other on stage, he didn't feel like they were playing together. Of course, this is the same friend who has told me over and over the last 20 years how Keith "stole" his chair at the Checkerboard Lounge in Chicago in the early 80s (we were in high school at the time) - and he got the chair back - like he was too cool for Keith.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home