Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is Ronnie the worst lead guitar player in Rock?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:21

ISleptWithLisaFischer (and beast),

Why is this the stupidest post ever?

The title is rather absurd. There are lead guitarists worse than Ron. But the point is valid. We are talking about the Stones here, whose status was built on strong guitars.

The point is, (by common consensus of many sincere, long-term Stones fans on this board who are not 'Taylorites'), that Ron is playing lousy guitar. I have little trouble believing this because I saw them on Licks many times and he was rarely good and mostly casual/sloppy. It was obvious that any half-decent guitarist could do his job better. He happens to look the part. (Keith, btw, inspite of cock-ups, is irreplaceable and still a joy to hear).

I would say that it is a shame - but it's also a disgrace. Years ago Mick and Keith would have dumped him. Now they can't be bothered, (to upset the gravy cart).

We are left having to hope that at a concert we see, Ron is not completely messing up their fantastic legacy of material, or that Keith or Mick or Charlie are on such fantastic form that we don't notice or don't care.

Posted by: Treesnake2000 ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:21

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yo Snake!!
>
> Good to hear from you....
>
> I knew you wouldn't be lying in that snakepiss for
> long !!
>
> Nice to see you're slithering about now !

Well, you've been doing such a great job making a fool of yourself with threads about MILFs and pizza that I haven't had anything to add.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: January 20, 2006 13:05

Listen to the 'solo's' in Shattered and She's so cold of the SF show 15/10,
it's incredible how he can mess those up, very simple lines..

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 20, 2006 13:10

Nothing against Mr Wood but it's certainly no coincidence that Mick Taylor is so often mentioned here on the board...

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:07

Slash....too much noisy for me, like gary moore...Keith lead...I think that he can't (he is not good in solos). Waddy watchel could be great (he knows how to play with keith). ALthough nothing will be like those days when wood was ok... or maybe when they enjoyed music...

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:43

We're stuck with him! I agree, it is more than annoying when he screws up, which is constantly, but unless he dies or gets so messed up he can't stand, they won't fire him. Just a fact! If they've put up with him through all of this, I see no rerason to think they'll ditch him now!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:47

Hope Ronnie doesn't read this. I'm very glad when I see him standing on the stage, that he's still alive and well. But it should have been a volume-button under him, on the stage-wall towards the audience, so we could turn him down if it was an off-night (as it often is).

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:48

Ron is terrible these days becasue he's supposed to be in the Stones and play Stones solos and whne he doesnt we get mad at him. Mick Mars does a good job with Motley Crue and Ace is always Ace. He was great in Kiss with unique style of his own even if it's simple.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:57

no- the balding,longhair bloke out of The Darkness, sucks even more.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:03

Hate the Darkness. @#$%& hate them.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:06

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> But it should have been a
> volume-button under him, on the stage-wall towards
> the audience, so we could turn him down if it was
> an off-night (as it often is).

Interesting...

Could it be possible that turning the volume-button up so he blowed people's heads out of the bodies he would focus on playing so his leads would improve???

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:18

And...how long should this be allowed? Are Mick, Keith and Charlie death? Are there ANY other MAJOR bands out there, that you have heard of, having all these blind spots; there´s a member in their band not feeling/playing well, and they just don´t give a shit???

Give the axe to Waddy Wachtel.

U2 - what if Edge @#$%& up every number? The Who - Townshend? Are YOU in a Rollingstonesbubble, where everythings OK?

I LOVE his 75-82 stuff, don´t get me wrong. But this is the ROLLING STONES - famous for great guitarplaying - weawing OR SOLO!!! PERIOD! And 2005-2006 it´s a "KINDERGARDEN"!!!(-78 Out on bail quote).

That´s MY opinion.

IF a rollingstone fan adore Ron Wood´s guitarplaying 2006 - then I´m getting worried. Maybe I´m not a fan.

Date: January 20, 2006 15:30

bruno Wrote:
> Erik_Snow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But it should have been a
> > volume-button under him, on the stage-wall
> towards
> > the audience, so we could turn him down if it
> was
> > an off-night (as it often is).
>
> Interesting...
>
> Could it be possible that turning the
> volume-button up so he blowed people's heads out
> of the bodies he would focus on playing so his
> leads would improve???
>

It's a good idea. People in the front row arguing about the knob. Give him a go from time to time, and see if it's getting better....

Date: January 20, 2006 15:36

It's his drinkingproblem, during Licks he was sober and played so much better and that's only 2 years ago..

Date: January 20, 2006 15:38

I thought he didn't drank nowadays (apart from Christmas)...?

Date: January 20, 2006 15:56

It rumours he's back on the booze track; that would explain
the major declining of his playing anyway

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:10

LA FORUM Wrote:
> Hate the Darkness. @#$%& hate them.
>

....join the queue.

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:18

From the films i have seen from this tour he looks happy in a 'dazed' sort of way...like a depressed guy trying to hide it from everyone...i don't think his heart is in it anymore and it shows in his playing... but what else can he do??? going solo isn't an option and let's face it...he aint no picasso...plus they took away his 1st love...booze...

being a mick taylor or a ron wood in the rolling stones is probably a shitty job...all you will ever be is a second banana...

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:26

It's a disgrace.
I don't belong to RW haters'community and I do appreciate his contributions on the RS albums such as some girls ,Tattoo you etc..I have always been less enthusiastic about his work on stage with the Stones right from the beginning in 75.His solos were uninspired (compared to Taylor) and he doesn't have the ability to play raw rock solos which are Keith's trademark.Nevertheless his past performances were no too much of a burden for the rest of the band members.

The Bigger Bang tour is another story.I've so far listened to about 10 boots from the 2005 american leg and ,sad to say, Ronnie has turned into a liability for the band.
I am sure that people in our community of Stones fans will ask for clemency.Ronnie is going thru difficult times (alcohol,drugs...) but what would happen to us ,normal people,if we arrive every day in our office drunk or stoned unable to carry on the tasks we are paid for?
Well ,easy answer, we 'll get fired.
Same should apply to Ronnie.
He's now unable to play the most simple guitar solo ,ruining the others' efforts to keep the set tight and powerful.
Any average guitar player is able to play a solo with f&*?&g up too much.Just follow the root with a minor or major pentatonic and you're safe.You won't be able to produce anything spectacular but al least it will be decent and respectful for the other band members as well as the audience.
What Ronnie is doing at the moment is just a disgrace for what the RS represent on the musical scene but it shows also a total lack of respect for the people who pay astronomical ticket prices to see them.
Take Waddy Watchel,Satriani (damm good with Jagger in 88) bring Taylor or any other obsure guitar player and send Ronnie to a good rehab clinic.I will feel much more better instead of being systematically criticed by the fans and ridiculised on stage.
We don't know but this could be the last Stones tour.They are making big efforts to spice up the setlists and they all seem (beside Ronnie) to be willing to deliver great performances.Can we accept that only one person ruins all these efforts?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:29

This post is made in disrespect and also it is spreading rumours about drinking habits. How low can you sink? Are there no lower limits? I say this every month and I will make another warning. All such posts will be closed and may be deleted. If you need to tell us you hate a person - or his playing - do it elsewhere. I have to remind you that Ronnie is a member of the Stones since 1975. You may think you can play the guitar better, but that is not interesting here.

By the way I was at the MSG show and Ronnie was just great. I am not deaf. If you don't like his style, then please do not bother us with your frustrations. That is the way he is playing. And he and his band have been filling up tours for 30 years entertaining millions of happy fans. If you don't like it - then don't go, or at least don't - I repeat DON'T - bother us with your frustrations here. This subject is NOT up for discussion here. Period.

Some people feel they are better by beating up others. It's called the chicken picking law. It is a real law. Most animals live that way. By working hard on validating everyone and climbing to the top, trying to pick on others. Humans tend to use the same at times. Picking on others. I will not allow it. Show some respect. And if you have comments on the IORR policy do NOT post it on IORR - send an e-mail to me at this e-mail address:

Bjornulf Vik
IORR Editor E-mail: iorr@arena.no

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home