Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The "Wicked" Pickett R.I.P.
Posted by: Charles ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:19

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My favourite soul singer of all time has died. Wilson Pickett was 64 and died of a heart attack. Ok so he's tied with James Brown for my favourite soul singer.... It's a freaking tragedy. I just *loved* his last release "It's harder now". I am listening to his "In the midnight hour" lp right now in glorious mono. Man, what a great record. Heck, all his early records were terrific and the poor guy was underrated as time went on. I never get sick of his music and just wish that he enjoyed more success in his home country. I remember driving in France one night coming home from a day at school and hearing that he was scheduled to play there somewhere in the greater Geneva area. I guess if you have talent, you have to cross the Pond to get any respect it seems.....

Wilson Pickett, the sound of soul in the sixties, the life of slow, dirty funky soul in the seventies, eighties, and nineties. Now his is an icon remembered. Thank God he was at least honoured in 1991 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

So, guys, slip that black circular wax from out its sleeve and spin it on the platter one time for the man....the one...the only...Wicked Pickett.

May you rest in peace!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Re: The "Wicked" Pickett R.I.P.
Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:23

Can't believe it - this is the first I heard.
Recommended:
"A Man and a Half" 2-cd comp covering 1960 - 72 (Rhino)
"I'm In Love" (1968) Rhino CD w/ bonus tracks, a great collaboration w/ Bobby Womack.
"In Philadelphia" (1970) Rhino CD w/ bonus tracks. Includes the long version of his funk classic 'Engine #9'

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:24

Wow! The Wicked Pickett! RIP.

So many great songs! Where to start?
Mustang Sally s often overlooked.

Date: January 20, 2006 04:29

I have not picked up "Live in Philadelphia" yet nor have I heard the 1968 "I'm in love". How pathetic of me....and to think I was a big fan. I do absolutely adore those first couple of records he cut and "It's getting harder" from 1999.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 20, 2006 05:17

Yes, I got the '99 cd and was very impressed with how vital Pickett sounded. The 2 cds I mentioned are both still in print...

Date: January 20, 2006 07:08

Thanks John R. I may have to get the cd's but I am such a vinyl junkie after all....they may have to wait until I find the black wax of heavenly analogue ondulations.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: January 20, 2006 09:02

THANKS to Wilson for bringing the SOUL Music to me (from the 1960`s up to 2006)

I `m sure that he`s now "in the land oft 1000 dances" and more !

Gerhard from Germny

* It would be nice If the STONES will perform a Pickett Song on the tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home