Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones fans should also own...........
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 7, 2006 18:44

The first 2 New York Dolls records
plus LAMF and So Alone from Johnny Thunders, these records are the perfect companion pieces to LIB,Exile and Some Girls

Re: Stones fans should also own...........
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 7, 2006 18:49

Agree.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 7, 2006 19:11

They're that good humanriff? Then maybe I'll go out and locate them.

Date: January 7, 2006 19:18

Saw Thunders in 82-83 or whenever...
But he had not much light to shine at that point;
some sparkles though.

Date: January 7, 2006 19:22

Yes those records are amazing, Johhny Thunders had unfortunately a lot of the same problems as Keith, but seemingly not the capability to recover from them, fantastic musician. I saw him even later than you Baboon, a couple of times around 85-86, the gigs were amazingly solid, but he was also past his best.

Posted by: Goyasparanoias ()
Date: January 7, 2006 19:54

J Geils Band - first 3 albums: #1, The Morning After, and Full House (live!)

WHAMMER JAMMER, BABY !!!

Date: January 7, 2006 20:40

Cheers Goyas,I only know thealbum that "Centrefold" was on,I think the Geils supported the Stones on the tour around that time?,as a teenage punk at the time, I always thought they were too "grown up" somehow, but now all these years later I'm going to check out your recommendations.

Date: January 7, 2006 20:42

All original albums by Gasolin´(DK)
Ditto Hobo Blues Band (H)
Ditto Thin Lizzy till Renegade 1981.
Phil Lynotts solo albums.
Elvis box sets 50´s, 60´s, and 70s.

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: January 7, 2006 20:44

Heart defibulators
And music from people who are still living

Date: January 7, 2006 20:50

Mean but true smiling smiley

Date: January 7, 2006 20:52

Alive or dead doesnt matter imho;
Chuckster, Taylor, Wyman.
Winos, Pistols.

And a great load of Hurriganes, which sadly not
most of the folks here bever have heard.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 7, 2006 20:52

I would add Johnny Thunders' haunting '83 "acoustic" (mostly) solo album, a true very personal gem, plus the CD has the Very electric bonus trax from the 1983 EP In Cold Blood (produced by our very own Jimmy Miller)

Date: January 7, 2006 20:58

Oh, sorry, if you love the 2 Dolls classix & want a little more check out "Rock & Roll" a 90s comp w/ a truly killer instumental called "Crazy Cat Theme" from '73 & a couple other outtakes.
And re JT's "So Alone" - pretty weird to hear the 3 lead vocalists on "Daddy Rolling Stone" - Johnny, Steve Marriott, Phil Lynott - knowing they're all gone now. The CD also has great bonus cuts, including T.Rex's "The Wizard"

Date: January 7, 2006 21:04

I think the beginners should stick to the 4 records I mentioned, both the Dolls and Thunders discographies are otherwise pretty messy, though of course there are lot of other diamonds.

I like the Dolls "Red Patent Leather" a lot, though the recording quality is dodgy, and from Thunders, the Maxs Kansas City and Speakeasy lives are classics, also the acoustic record mentioned above "Hurt Me", although its been released under different names. For real nuts a 1986 bootleg from The Continental in Ausin is also great.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:13

MC5 Back in the USA,Mich Ryder Naked but not dead.Angel city''Í dont wanna face the day'''.The red devils,oh man many more this is a start.

Date: January 7, 2006 23:21

Ah Mitch Ryder....Sundazed reissued the original Detroit Wheels ('65 - 67)albums on CD (in stereo), & in mono on 180 Gram vinyl...anyone digs 60s music (75% of their catalog, plus some 50s, Buck Owens, Kenny Burrell & other select jazz, a bit of post-punk) should check out the website or order a catalog...Their transfers of the Elektra Stooges lps are definitive...re Mitch, I'd like to get the '71 "Detroit" album, never see it on CD....???

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:31

if ya like the early Stones R & B covers, Chuck Berry covers, etc.....check out the COUNT BISHOPS "Speedball" cd on the Chiswick label....they were a pub-rock type of band in the mid '70's....they do rippin', adrenalin fueled and raw covers of ROUTE 66...I AINT GOT YOU...BEAUTIFUL DELILAH...CRY TO ME...SWEET LITTLE 16...CAROL...MERCY MERCY...REELIN' & ROCKIN...DOWN THE ROAD APIECE...I'M A MAN.........also, the FLAMIN' GROOVIES (San Francisco) "TEENAGE HEAD" lp from 1971 is very Stonesy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-08 00:29 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 8, 2006 00:32

dr feelgood,pretty things,bintangs(dutch band),Q65 dutch the Hague band,Ramones ,its alive,Golden earring(back home,radar love).J geils band,muddy waters,Jimmmy reed.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 8, 2006 00:39

"Raw Power" by Iggy & the Stooges.....like an abrasive, punked-out Stones

Date: January 8, 2006 00:51

Bo Diddley Chess Box (revelatory liner notes Robert Palmer), Howlin Wolf Chess Box, Muddy Waters Chess Box, John Lee Hooker yikes! love the '48 - 54 stuff, the Chess stuff including "Real/More Real Folk Blues", the '66 "Serve You Right To Suffer" but not those late albums w/ all the superstar guests.
Howlin Wolf London Sessions (2-cd set, w/ Charlie, Bill, Stu, Clapton, Hubert Sumlin)
proto-Stooges: Chocolate Watchband "Melts In Your Brain, Not In Your Hand"
primo-Wolf-ian Hooch: Captain Beefheart: Safe As Milk, 'Lick My Decals Off, Baby', 'Spotlight Kid', 'Clear Spot', 'Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), 'Doc At The Radar Station' and the ltd edition (Rhinohandmade) "Live at My Father's Place December 11, 1978"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 8, 2006 01:20

a straight jacket.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: January 8, 2006 01:26

Pistols, DAMNED first 3 records, Only ones -all of them including Perrets 'the one'.
Completely agree about the dolls, and LAMF being great records...also got to make a pitch here for Cheap Trick, and the Dictators. Trick have a solid back catalogue- first 3 especially good, but really apart from the doctor in 1986, its been pretty damn good every time. The new Dics live lp 'VIVA' is a good place to pick up on them if you are not familiar.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 8, 2006 05:15

I am huge fan of JT and am baffled that you guys consider LAMF good Thunders. I made such a point to get it and was really disappointed. So Alone and the many live boots are the best.
Stoners hould listen to
Clash
Pistols
Kings of Leon
Primal Scream
Faces
Jayhawks
Socila Distortion
My Morning Jacket
Damned
Terence Trent D'arby
MC5
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Joe Cocker
Cult
Guns and Roses
Ryan Adams
Humble Pie
Band
Tom Waits
Music
James Brown
Neville Bros
Robert Randolph
Lucinda Williams
Lucero
Tom Jones
Steve Earle
Garland Jeffries
Supergrass
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Scissor Sisters
Patti Smith

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: January 8, 2006 05:17

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds, some great tunes, Train tracks is great.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: January 8, 2006 05:20

Everything by...The Beatles, The Who, Kinks (best of Brit Invasion)

Aerosmith, Black Crowes - best American imitators

Date: January 8, 2006 05:31

Damn I forgot Izzy!
How's about Charlie Sexton.
Mott the Hoople
What was that band that put out two albums at thwe end of the 90's with Keith and Ronnie on guitars on both of them? We all had them on boots...??

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 8, 2006 05:35

Count Bishops?....tell me more!

Date: January 8, 2006 06:12

No that is not it. I can not recall more. They are not well known. But for some reason Ron and keith dug them and they are all over the records. They don't just sit in on one song. I know we all talked about them on the Net. In boot trading circles those two records were always present and now they have sort of dissappeared. I own them but I am not at home right now.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 8, 2006 07:15

I was very disappointed in LAMF when I first heard it. It's very dully produced, and except for "Born to Lose" and "Chinese Rocks" (which richard hell wrote?) the writing is shite. But I got a CD edition, probably out of print now, that has a live gig (at the Speakeasy) appended, and the live set is much much better.

So Alone is great stuff. I have a couple other of his records, but that's the only one I listen to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-08 07:38 by cc.

Date: January 8, 2006 13:09

There are 3 versions of LAMF, the original release is unbeleivably muddy, possibly the worst mixing job in the history of rock, but like the Stooges "Raw Power" it has a certain charm. Then there is the remix done by Johnny Thunders called LAMF revisited in 1984, I like this one the best,its a little shiny but its the best that could be done with the original tapes. Then there is the Speedy Keene remixes, these are like the Iggy remix of Raw Power, i.e all guitars and treble on full, I dont like it too much.

The best bet is the 180 gram vinyl of LAMF revisited, you won't regret buying that one.

What great taste all you IORR boarders have by the way!! Rockin'dudes!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home