Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Change of Amps on 1971 Tour of UK?
Posted by: DelcoProud ()
Date: April 21, 2024 22:15

Did Keith and Mick Taylor use the same amps on all the 1971 gigs?

I remember reading somewhere -- of course I can't find the reference now! -- that either or both of them swapped the Ampegs for Fenders on at least one of the gigs, perhaps the last night, at the Roundhouse.

That ringing any bells?

Re: Change of Amps on 1971 Tour of UK?
Date: April 21, 2024 22:50

DelcoProud

That ringing any bells?

Yes, their ears.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 22, 2024 10:17

Not sure about the exact history but there was certainly some experimentation going on. Silver face Twins with big Dual Showman cabs were in the backline, with both Keith & MT employing them.

I like the sound. Doesn't have that throaty roar of the Ampegs but allowed for more subtlety and variance in tone to my ears..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 22, 2024 12:54

DelcoProud
Did Keith and Mick Taylor use the same amps on all the 1971 gigs?

I remember reading somewhere -- of course I can't find the reference now! -- that either or both of them swapped the Ampegs for Fenders on at least one of the gigs, perhaps the last night, at the Roundhouse.

That ringing any bells?

They used Ampeg for the big venues and silver face Fender Twin amps for the smaller ones. I never liked the sound of the Twins as they don't overdrive that nicely.

Mathijs

Posted by: DelcoProud ()
Date: April 22, 2024 13:40

Thanks, Mathijs. That makes sense. I'm also a big fan of the Ampeg sound; it's a growl thing. Keith's tone hasn't been the same since he left Ampeg/Mesa in the rearview mirror, his migration to Fender Twins a pledge of allegiance to R&B.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 22, 2024 17:12

"Horses for courses" I think grinning smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home