Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: UNDERCOVER 40 years !!
Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: November 25, 2023 14:18

Doxa
Let the music speak for itself. Namely, the statistics of any kind do not look very good for UNDERCOVER. It sold okay, like any Stones album, at the time (although weakly compared to the previous albums). But, for example, it is the least streamed Stones album to date, losing even to DIRTY WORK (and of singular tracks, the discussed "Pretty Beat Up" has a tough battle with "Back to Zero" for being the least streamed major album studio cut ever).

- Doxa

I couldn't believe that Undercover would be losing out to Dirty Work, and after checking Rolling Stones youtube channel, where both songs were uploaded 5 years ago, BTZ got 14K views compared to PBU 60K views. Although that's not a proof of greatness, it's the opposite of your claim.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 25, 2023 15:38

skytrench
Doxa
Let the music speak for itself. Namely, the statistics of any kind do not look very good for UNDERCOVER. It sold okay, like any Stones album, at the time (although weakly compared to the previous albums). But, for example, it is the least streamed Stones album to date, losing even to DIRTY WORK (and of singular tracks, the discussed "Pretty Beat Up" has a tough battle with "Back to Zero" for being the least streamed major album studio cut ever).

- Doxa

I couldn't believe that Undercover would be losing out to Dirty Work, and after checking Rolling Stones youtube channel, where both songs were uploaded 5 years ago, BTZ got 14K views compared to PBU 60K views. Although that's not a proof of greatness, it's the opposite of your claim.

I forgot to say it, but my reference was Spotify. I don't have any longer access to see how those two tracks are doing there nowadays, but here is an account of their album streaming success by Chartmasters. It is a couple of years old, but I think it still gives a pretty accurate over-all picture of the relative populary of their albums in streaming market - I don't think any dramatic change have happened since then (only that the numbers are way, way bigger):
[chartmasters.org]

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-25 15:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: November 27, 2023 06:39

I love this album. But it took almost 20 years for me to love it. The first time I heard it, I did not like it at all so I never played it again. Fast forward to 2013, I played it again for the first time since 1987 and I bloody well loved it and listened to it repeatedly start to finish. I still love it. It's a great underrated album. Same thing happened to me with Their Satanic Majesties Request...I hated it at first, then revisited it many years later and I loved it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 27, 2023 12:28

Doxa
This made me thinking why UNDERCOVER is such a forgotten album? I don't quite buy the explanation that 'well, it is not very good", since I think it is! Besides, do people even know it being good or bad, since they don' t, for god's sake, even listen it!

- Doxa

If you look at the albums released in 1983 I think it is only the top 5 or top 10 best albums that is still listened to. 1983 wasn't exactly 1966 or 1972...

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2023 16:02

Mathijs
Doxa
This made me thinking why UNDERCOVER is such a forgotten album? I don't quite buy the explanation that 'well, it is not very good", since I think it is! Besides, do people even know it being good or bad, since they don' t, for god's sake, even listen it!

- Doxa

If you look at the albums released in 1983 I think it is only the top 5 or top 10 best albums that is still listened to. 1983 wasn't exactly 1966 or 1972...

Mathijs

Startlingly, (or maybe not), Rolling Stone's list of top albums of 1983 has Undercover at #5.

[www.albumoftheyear.org]

Glancing through the list, Synchronicity is list just below it and REM's Murmur and Let's Dance by Bowie far below. Those rankings actually have me questioning the veracity of the list, but Undercover at #5 a pleasant surprise.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2023 18:51

frenki09
Oh, boy. This is getting messy and pointless. All these arguments about nothing.

Who went to which concert? Do you know your Rolling Stones? It was played. It was not played. Two chords. Three chords. I hate NME. ...

GasLightStreet has no mercy when it comes to educating and bashing others...

That was all tongue in cheek, the two chords bits.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 27, 2023 18:51

treaclefingers
Mathijs
Doxa

- Doxa

Mathijs

Startlingly, (or maybe not), Rolling Stone's list of top albums of 1983 has Undercover at #5.

[www.albumoftheyear.org]

Glancing through the list, Synchronicity is list just below it and REM's Murmur and Let's Dance by Bowie far below. Those rankings actually have me questioning the veracity of the list, but Undercover at #5 a pleasant surprise.

Synchronicity, along with Thriller and Can't Slow Down are the three albums that kept Undercover stuck at #4 on Billboard 200.

Date: November 27, 2023 21:01

big4
treaclefingers
Mathijs
Doxa

- Doxa

Mathijs

[www.albumoftheyear.org]

Synchronicity, along with Thriller and Can't Slow Down are the three albums that kept Undercover stuck at #4 on Billboard 200.

That's ironic that Lionel Ricki would name his album 'Cant Slow Down' since all he did was slow down.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2023 21:04

Thats so the blue-rinse ladies fulla of bubbly can keep up ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home