Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Super Bowl Set List
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 1, 2005 07:03

i bet they don't play at all. mick will just plead to the iorr website fans to stop complaining about the setlist.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 1, 2005 07:35

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i bet they don't play at all. mick will just plead
> to the iorr website fans to stop complaining about
> the setlist.

Hey man,

Betya that Jagger is way more tired of being chained to those ten songs than any of us are of hearing him sing them.

I count myself as the Stones' biggest friend and supporter. I'd love to see them taking pride in and enjoying their new work onstage. And venturing all over one of rock'n'roll's greatest catalogues. And doing the blues and r&b and country and reggae and yes, the funk and dance material that they love so much.

I'd love to see a Rolling Stones show that was one tenth--one fiftieth--as varied and interesting as the overall work that they themselves have recorded. The work that draws us to this board.

I worry that they see themselves as not having truly succeeded with anything other than a batch of radio hits from the 60's and 70's. It makes me sad that they have been (and have let themselves be) cornered this way. And do I appreciate the fact that they can still take "Jumpin' Jack Flash" into the stratosphere? Most certainly.

But I do have a question for the all the folks who complain about the setlist complaints:

I'm troubled by the stale lists and the shorter shows, but I'm still listening, sharing the Stones with others and going to the concerts...

If the "whining" and "bitching" that I do isn't shaking my love for the Stones, perhaps it's shaking yours? What if it's the "hardcore" and "loyal" fans of the Stones who are wavering these days?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 1, 2005 07:45

Hey, this isn't rocket surgery.

It's easier than it appears, it's a mini concert version of what they've been doing since Bawston:

Start Me Up
Rough Justice
It's Only Rock and Roll

If there's a fourth song it'll be JJF between RJ and IORR.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 1, 2005 08:05

hmm, possible dilution of an all rocker set if they steer into 'family entertainment' per the NFL and tv. macca, u2, aerosmith all did a ballad-esque slow number. we also know there's a big country-rock viewing contingent and always the possibility of a dancy production song. i'ld wager songs like BS and HTW actually won't make the cut, and i would say RJ also, except as you guys note, it's already been played on some nfl programming.

another factor is their lineup: B Stage band or full band? probably the whole 14 person version, no? you start and then it's over in a flash.

SMU seems guaranteed. the pool for the rest would seem very small:

JJF
RJ or RFD if a new tune
YGMR (but not if they play RJ)
WH (tv guest vox? DM, EV, etc) if a ballad
IORR/Satisfaction/MY if a cheesy production number.

if the tv stations weren't so caught up in their 'values' (unlike their news programs), we could get a lot of the wonderfully subversive suggestions some of you offered upthread.

we love you
DF or SV for the country crowd
sweet neocon
SFTD and then refuse to stop playing as they go 10 miutes over

Date: December 1, 2005 08:22

I can't see Rough Justice because of the lyrics,not to mention it is no longer the current single.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 1, 2005 11:15

I'm really looking forward to this thing. I bet they'll be on top form that night.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 1, 2005 13:37

Pecman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stonestom,
>
> If I remember correctly, didn't Paul McCartney do
> a medley of about 5 songs?
>
> I know I wasn't paying too much attention to him
> last year because he bores me top tears...but if
> he did a full Hey Jude or Let It Be..that would
> take up the whole alotted time.
>

McCartney didnt do any medleys last year. He did:

Drive my car (original is just over 2 mins long)
Get Back - about 3 mins
Live and Let die - about 3 mins
Hey Jude - shorter version, but only missing one verse and making the 'na na na na-na-na na- section shorter. - just under 5 mins.

The way he kept to the 13 minute time limit was by having a pre-recorded count-in (Maccas own voice) which i assume was triggered by the drummer, so this avoided long gaps between songs. I know you dont like him but it worked very well. Literally as drive my car ended, 1 second later the count-in for get back starts.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: dlyon ()
Date: December 1, 2005 19:15

Would Mick dare reprise his football costume from 1981 or will he stick with the black pants and gold lame jacket?

"I wear my sports clothes way too loud"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home