Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Darryl's Era Double Album
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2022 20:54

maumau
24FPS
I'm beginning to get it through my old, thick head that there's a whole new generation who grew up with the post-Wyman era. I can understand. I barely knew who Brian Jones was, and didn't know what he did, when I got to know the group better in the late 60s.

Obviously they don't know Bill, Brian, Mick Taylor, Nicky, Billy. They might know Bobby from fairly recent tours. But they have an entirely different perspective on the group. Although I consider their Post Wyman studio material to be inferior to their earlier work, some fans know it as their Stones era. They don't hear echoes to earlier work. They don't have Bill's bass playing to compare Darryl/Keith/Mick/Ron, or whoever is hanging around that night in the studio.

I saw a YouTube reaction video of these two college age guys going to their first Stones concert last year in Tampa. They were in awe that I thought the awe factor dimmed more than twenty years ago. But that's their Stones. That's who pays stupid money to see them. God bless 'em. And they still have the classic Stones to discover.

you don't lack presumption, wonder what you might discover

Of course there are going to be exceptions. Younger fans who are aware of Brian Jones' contribution, etc. But for the most part I wouldn't expect younger fans to be that aware. I was at a Stones concert in Los Angeles in 2013. Midnight Ramble started and I heard one girl say to the other, "That's Mick Taylor playing with them." The other girl's response was, "Who?"

My personal experience was they were just another British Invasion band. And we didn't buy albums at that point. In fact it was almost all AM radio. It was around the time of Jumpin' Jack Flash, the summer of '68, that I recognized a new sound, and that they'd been around long after Freddie and the Dreamers were gone. From there it was a slowly boiling fandom.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2022 21:04

bitusa2012
treaclefingers
mailexile67
In the last 29 years only 3 albums of originals...Not bad at all

OK, and I know this doesn't make it much better, but each of those albums were double albums, longer than Exile.

So you can say 7 albums, (one a covers album) and a few scattered songs across some compilations - the 4 off Licks, 2 off Grrr and Living in a Ghost Town, in 29 years.

AND keep in mind we've also had a KR solo album, Mick Solo album, Mick soundtrack, and Mick's T.H.E. and Mick's GGG&England Lost, Ronnie Solo, & Superheavy.

You may not like all or any of it, but there's a bit there.

It’s been 17 years since the last Rolling Stones album of originals. SEVENTEEN years despite a near on continuous drip feed of working on it, should be out next year, this year, I’m on the bass on a lot of tracks we’re working on, I’ve got several killer riffs, we’re in the studio now, mick and I are listening to stuff now that we laid down…etc etc etc, Honestly, I t’s pathetic and sad that the worlds greatest ever band can’t get a dozen new tracks done in SEVENTEEN years. They can disagree on musical direction, but to NOT be able to agree on twelve tracks?? Good god. The well has run dry and the worlds most expensive cruise ship band (to see) sails on…

Yes it's sad.

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: July 31, 2022 21:32

The “Darryl” era (or “Chuck Era” or even the “Steel Wheels and Beyond Era”) is all about the stage show and spectacle built around an obligatory dirty dozen hits. Several of same principal members, but a different mission for the last 3-4 decades. It seems even Mick Jagger and Keith Richards regard songs from those few albums since 1981 to be essentially disposable after a tour or two, with a few exceptions-—“You Got Me Rockin’”, “Slipping Away”, “Out of Control”-—which surface occasionally (often to the dismay of audiences who would gladly trade the "new" songs for "Beast of Burden", "Wild Horses" or other underplayed favorites). Let's enjoy what's left of the ride, and when that's over, I think we'll still be listening to the four greats and a few others more than the long-awaited "new" album that comes in 202_. The surviving Stones are well aware of this, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 21:55 by JivinSisterFanny.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home