Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ruby Tuesday in S.F....and my life: a review
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 20, 2005 18:52

salar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> T&A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > retired dog:
> >
> > my theory is not so much that Woody isn't
> inspired
> > anymore - it's simply that he physically
> cannot
> > play anymore. Sad. The chops have eroded
> steadily
> > over the past coupla decades. I watched his
> hands
> > closely a few times during his feeble
> attempts on
> > songs like YCAGWYW and Slipping Away - it
> seemed
> > pretty evident to me that he couldn't get
> his
> > hands to do what he wanted them to do.
>
> Do not agree.....if you were right than why people
> say that Ronnie plays awesome when not playing
> with the Stones.
> ( playing on his own, or as guest with other
> bands,)
> I still have the positive reviews in my ears when
> he playd "Ronny & his fiends" early this
> year.
>
>
>
Ok., granted Ronnie Wood doesn't enjoy touring with his band (The Rolling Stones!), then he should say: "Let's quit", I've got my own projects to do. But if he continues to be a Stone he has to give the best he can.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 21, 2005 00:23

I paid a "nice price" for the Tuesday SF show -- I watched from a bridge for free! Great view of the video screens and perfect sound. I've seen them 5 times, so I could form a mental picture of the parts I missed. I don't think the show would have been worth paying $450 for, unless maybe you were seeing them for the first time. However, it wasn't bad, as far as it goes. Yes, Ronnie did some terrible solos, especiallly on "Tumbling Dice." And Keith screwed up the intro to BS, which he does every recent tour. But the two guys somehow manage to mesh together perfectly when they're not out front. Being forced to listen more than watch, the Stones sounded great, and the two guitarists still manage to produce the patented sound.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 21, 2005 00:31

Having seen the MSG show on DVD I cannot agree with the observation that Ronnie is angry or bored. He seemed to enjoy himself very much, lots of interaction with Keith, trading smiles...

I have no idea why he plays as bad as he does very often these days - but we can't deny it. I would love to know the reason too. It cannot be that he lost his chops - I mean, he is still quite good on slide guitar, he sounded well on ABB (he claimed that he recorded everything in 1 or 2 takes) and I really think he played well on his solo gig earlier this year.

Still - I would like to know the reason for his horrible solos!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 21, 2005 02:41

How would you feel if you were sidelined from the main creative sessions of their first studio album in 8 years. He wasn't much involved in Bridges either.

He can only be doing it as a well paid job. As ChrisM says, it would do himself, the Stones and us a favour, if he took a break. No shame involved. He doesn't owe them.

On the practical side, he's probably too legally involved in RS plc. to make a quick exit. Mick must be more than a little fed up - he puts so much work into these tours and their whole reputation is on the line. How can they listen to tapes of shows if it's as bad you all say? They'll want to sort something out before the new year - let alone Europe 2006.

Nor do I suggest Mick Taylor - he's simply too good and would make Keith look worse than average. (That's not a cheap shot - it' serious).

Waddy or Blondie fine. Or even just Keith and Mick. Keith did most of the work anyway on the last two tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-21 18:45 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 21, 2005 21:19

I don't agree that Mick Taylor would make Keith look bad. Keith was never considered a lead guitarist--he's the riff creator, the songwriter.

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: November 21, 2005 21:37

Wow! Just returned from the Stones gig in Fresno - great seats - looking right down onto the state - right side. Ronnie was very on last night - along with the entire band. Richards had such a good time - and played awesome - looking forward to hearing some of the recordings of this show - redemption for Ronnie might be a good working title?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 22, 2005 06:48

swsfo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! Just returned from the Stones gig in Fresno -
> great seats - looking right down onto the state -
> right side. Ronnie was very on last night - along
> with the entire band. Richards had such a good
> time - and played awesome - looking forward to
> hearing some of the recordings of this show -
> redemption for Ronnie might be a good working
> title?

Good to hear that! Speaking for myself, I never had a "Plan B" (replacing him with whoever) in mind when it comes to discussing Ronnie's guitar work. I just want Ronnie to do what he is supposed to do (and what he proved numerous times in the past that he can do): PLAY GUITAR.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home