Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:14

StonedRambler
Amazing how the always manage to let the re-release sound worse than the Original. You would think they would learn from it one day but every time a new release comes up it's the same.

At least the guitars are louder to name something positive...
The guitars are not only louder but also panned strongly left/right. The overall stereo scene is wider but simultaneously there is no depth due to extra compression. Although, they were trying to compensate this with echo winking smiley.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 22, 2022 01:04

Ok.

I dont like to bitch so lets start from the positives.

The editing (camera angles) are better on this new release.

The audio might be the worst yet. The drum mix is truly horrible. Super loud cymbals with the bass drum super low and too much reverb on the snare which is also too low on the mix.

the mix is overall noisy with too much room reverb.

Guitars are too loud compared to the rest.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 22, 2022 06:44

I can't recall anyone figuring it out but I've always noticed on this show a very strange, twinkly, chimes that pops up randomly throughout the show. It's definitely still here in this new mix.

At the start of the "Don't Stop", left channel and before anyone says its' Chuck--it's present before the band starts playing. Plus, Chuck is on the B3 on this tune and the sound is much more brittle and thinner. Like chimes. I've no idea who or what that is and why it only appeared on this show.

Anyone cared to notice?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 22, 2022 07:06

Justin
I can't recall anyone figuring it out but I've always noticed on this show a very strange, twinkly, chimes that pops up randomly throughout the show. It's definitely still here in this new mix.

At the start of the "Don't Stop", left channel and before anyone says its' Chuck--it's present before the band starts playing. Plus, Chuck is on the B3 on this tune and the sound is much more brittle and thinner. Like chimes. I've no idea who or what that is and why it only appeared on this show.

Anyone cared to notice?

I always thought it was Mick's phone going off.

Date: April 22, 2022 07:09

TheGreek
I bet they make money off these releases , or else why bother going thru the effort ? I just seen the Licked Live in NYC on the EMAIL from RS.com . I checked my usual big box (Walmart ) and it is not on there site yet , which EL Mo is . That's who I use for all my media releases , as they are fast and reliable .

UMG is probably the ones making the money, what little there is to be made. There's no way enough copies are sold for the production costs to pay out and the Stones to make money aside from mechanical royalties.

Date: April 22, 2022 07:17

exilestones

Rolling Stones Four Flicks Best Buy Promo DVD

I haven't been to Best Buy in a few years. I can't remember.

Amazon? HA HA. Quite often.

The last time I went the CD section was barely there. In fact, not much was there in general regarding media hard copy.

I'm gonna guess the hype of FOUR FLICKS did not become reality in regard to "the future" of the music industry.

Date: April 22, 2022 07:20

RaiseTheKnife
spunky
Don't Stop from Licked Live in NYC:
[youtu.be]

How convenient the Four Flicks version is still up on their youtube channel for easy comparsion:

Four Flicks:

Licked Live:

Holy crap what a difference in sound yet alone camera shots. The original is supreme.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 22, 2022 08:08

GasLightStreet
RaiseTheKnife
spunky
Don't Stop from Licked Live in NYC:
[youtu.be]

How convenient the Four Flicks version is still up on their youtube channel for easy comparsion:

Four Flicks:

Licked Live:

Holy crap what a difference in sound yet alone camera shots. The original is supreme.

But it is cool to see Ron's and Keith's intro-riffing there for a minute....

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 22, 2022 08:18

GasLightStreet
Justin

Anyone cared to notice?

Now that you told me I will never be able to unhear it. Never noticed it on the original DVD but in the new video it's quite clear to hear

Date: April 22, 2022 08:30

I have to say though that I am suprised after not hearing it for a long time what a good song Don't Stop actually is. Surely if they had released it in the 70s it would be much higher valued among fans. The lyrics is nonsense of course but a lot of the 70s songs' lyrics are nonsense too. But this is a really catchy tune. Imagine this on Black and Blue or Tattoo You. Would fit amazingly good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 08:31 by StonedRambler.

Date: April 22, 2022 08:39

If saving costs on these releases is a factor I would prefer they would skip the new video editing and put that money into a good mix, paying Bob Clearmountain. But maybe costs aren't even an issue and someone really thinks these Sam Wheat mixes are good.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 20:14

DUD soundwise. What a bummer.

Date: April 22, 2022 20:56

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
Justin

Anyone cared to notice?

Now that you told me I will never be able to unhear it. Never noticed it on the original DVD but in the new video it's quite clear to hear

Right? It pops up in different spots on the show. Back in 2003, I thought it was some weird audio "watermark" that HBO put on the soundtrack but it was still present even on Four Flicks and still present now in the new mix. Bizarre. Is it a form of feedback from mics? Amps? It's truly strange.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 21:28

StonedRambler
I have to say though that I am suprised after not hearing it for a long time what a good song Don't Stop actually is. Surely if they had released it in the 70s it would be much higher valued among fans. The lyrics is nonsense of course but a lot of the 70s songs' lyrics are nonsense too. But this is a really catchy tune. Imagine this on Black and Blue or Tattoo You. Would fit amazingly good

It is a great example of a modern-day Stones classic. One of my all-time faves of theirs, and never understood the hate it gets.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2022 22:13

Don't Stop = lightweight, artificial, saccharine, sappy, lacking, inferior, poor...
But it was nice to have a new tune live, and Ronnie's guitar camera gimmick was the most interesting thing about it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 22, 2022 22:34

Hairball
Don't Stop = lightweight, artificial, saccharine, sappy, lacking, inferior, poor...
But it was nice to have a new tune live, and Ronnie's guitar camera gimmick was the most interesting thing about it.

Good description……of your post.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 22, 2022 22:48

Yes, Don´t Stop is sooo goood...that they never played it live again after 2003, and never will...Thank God! cool smiley

Date: April 23, 2022 00:17

Bjorn
Yes, Don´t Stop is sooo goood...that they never played it live again after 2003, and never will...Thank God! cool smiley
Because people are not open to newer songs at all and only want to hear the hits. Same with Living in a ghost town these days. Has nothing to do with the quality of the songs. Same with the 1-2 rare songs they play per show. People start talking, move around, all phones go down. They are aware that mostly the hits are wanted, so they can only play one newer song per show and then they chose the newest (this tour LIAGT). And maybe YGMR since for this one they get the crowd reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 00:19 by StonedRambler.

Date: April 23, 2022 00:35

VoodooLounge13
StonedRambler

It is a great example of a modern-day Stones classic. One of my all-time faves of theirs, and never understood the hate it gets.

I thought it was usually a miss on stage but the studio track is tasty and for me still works great. The riffage, the classic Ronnie solos and that outro--great stuff. Never gets less than 3 repeats when it comes up; great for the car.

Same with "One More Shot"..on stage it felt disjointed and just didn't gel as well as that studio track.

That said, I like the camera work better on the new cut. You can see more of what each Stone is doing. To bad the sound has been hollowed out. Lost it's groove.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 00:37 by Justin.

Posted by: caoutchouc ()
Date: April 23, 2022 10:42

The new mix is horrible like Copacabana, where are the bass? The sound is skeletal and confused, what a massacre. Sam the sound butcher!

Date: April 23, 2022 13:00

caoutchouc
The new mix is horrible like Copacabana, where are the bass? The sound is skeletal and confused, what a massacre. Sam the sound butcher!
Yeah, bass and bass drum are quite hard to hear. And the snare has also no punch at all. Compare the sound of the snare drum between the two videos above.

But I think it's better than Copacabana, at least the treble is not completely cut off like on Copacabana.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 13:02 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 23, 2022 13:15

At least the reverb on Jaggers voice is better than on Copacabana...but really a horrible mix

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 23, 2022 13:34

StonedRambler
caoutchouc
Yeah, bass and bass drum are quite hard to hear. And the snare has also no punch at all. Compare the sound of the snare drum between the two videos above.

But I think it's better than Copacabana, at least the treble is not completely cut off like on Copacabana.
Try to listen to it on laptop speakers or in cheap headphones. In that case the new mix will sound as you expect from laptop speakers (i.e. crappy from audiophile point of view). On the contrary the old mix will be distorted on bass. Surely, for any sound system that is better than laptop speakers the new master will sound really thin.

In any case we should not judge harshly from youtube video. Let us wait until the release and then we can moan winking smiley.

Date: April 23, 2022 14:14

ironbelly
StonedRambler
caoutchouc

Try to listen to it on laptop speakers or in cheap headphones. In that case the new mix will sound as you expect from laptop speakers (i.e. crappy from audiophile point of view). On the contrary the old mix will be distorted on bass. Surely, for any sound system that is better than laptop speakers the new master will sound really thin.

In any case we should not judge harshly from youtube video. Let us wait until the release and then we can moan winking smiley.
I get your point but it's not like the target group of this release is gonna listen to it on laptop speakers. And even on cheap earbuds young people might use to listen to it on Spotify the old mix sounds better.

And usually it's more the opposite in my experience - that modern mixes have much more bass to compensate for the bass that is lost on mobile devives

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 14:18 by StonedRambler.

Date: April 23, 2022 14:23

VoodooLounge13
StonedRambler

Yeah I agree, it's a nice Dice-esque thing in A with a beautiful bridge and that groove only the Stones can come up with. They should've done it more country though as Jagger was so afraid of when he points it out to Chuck in the FF docu. People who slag off their new stuff are hilarious! Waddya want?!?! 1968 all over again and again?!?!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 15:23

the cd edition is jewel or digipack

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2022 15:35

mick64

the cd edition is jewel or digipack

2CD looks like Jewel Case:

[TheRollingStonesShop.com] , [Store.HMV.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:31

Justin
VoodooLounge13
StonedRambler

I thought it was usually a miss on stage but the studio track is tasty and for me still works great. The riffage, the classic Ronnie solos and that outro--great stuff. Never gets less than 3 repeats when it comes up; great for the car.

Same with "One More Shot"..on stage it felt disjointed and just didn't gel as well as that studio track.

That said, I like the camera work better on the new cut. You can see more of what each Stone is doing. To bad the sound has been hollowed out. Lost it's groove.

I feel like we have similar tastes in their songs - Love Don't Stop, and always preferred OMS to D&G.

Date: April 29, 2022 08:11

VoodooLounge13
Justin
VoodooLounge13
StonedRambler

I feel like we have similar tastes in their songs - Love Don't Stop, and always preferred OMS to D&G.

Perhaps! Tho, I'm a big fan of D&G too. That radio edit is great.

Date: April 29, 2022 09:46

VoodooLounge13
Justin
VoodooLounge13
StonedRambler

Same 'ere Voodoo!! smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home