Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Throwing shoes on stage
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 4, 2022 19:58

Greek

You have nothing to apologize for. I wasn't trying to shame you, I was just pointing out that there was another angle to that scene that your description overlooked.

You didn't write or produce that Curb episode, so don't worry. I took no offense at your comment. None.

I've been to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and seen the display of shoes, suitcases, etc. seized by the Nazis at the death camps. Powerful stuff, a real punch to the gut.

That said, I'm a huge Larry David fan. That bit was jaw-dropping for me. I was literally shouting "Oh NO!! Oh NO!!" at the screen when my wife and I were watching it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 4, 2022 20:43

loog droog
Greek

You have nothing to apologize for. I wasn't trying to shame you, I was just pointing out that there was another angle to that scene that your description overlooked.

You didn't write or produce that Curb episode, so don't worry. I took no offense at your comment. None.

I've been to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and seen the display of shoes, suitcases, etc. seized by the Nazis at the death camps. Powerful stuff, a real punch to the gut.

That said, I'm a huge Larry David fan. That bit was jaw-dropping for me. I was literally shouting "Oh NO!! Oh NO!!" at the screen when my wife and I were watching it.
It's all good and I knew that you weren't try to shame me . It's just that right after I said what did I just do ? I am a big fan of everything that L.D. does as I think he is a comedic genius . One of these days I will visit the Holocaust Museum . As you said "Powerful stuff " When I watched the episode my mind kept telling me no Larry is not going there and boy was I wrong !

Date: January 4, 2022 23:43

One thing I like about Larry is, if there is a place not to go, he will go there.

Since you're a fan, in case you haven't seen it I recommend the new HBO documentary The Super Bob Einstein Movie, featuring Larry and a host of others talk about the late actor, who was best known as the deadpan stunt comedian Super Dave Osborne and also as Curb supporting cast regular Marty Funkhouser. Lots of hilarious clips and funny/affectionate remembrances from the likes of Steve Martin, Rob Reiner, Patton Oswalt, etc., plus a window into the relationship he had with his brother, Albert Brooks.

But getting back on topic...I was at the Stones show in Anaheim the day before it rained shoes on the stage, but from all the accounts I heard at the time it should be stressed that it was a good-natured thing, with no insult intended towards the Stones.

A few months earlier, while watching Elvis Costello's Hollywood High show from the balcony, I saw a shoe fly on stage at the beginning of "The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes." Standing outside after the concert, my friend introduced me to her friend who had been in the crowd close to the stage. I looked down and discovered the source...she was happily wearing one red tennis shoe!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2022 00:24

Curb --- Vehicular Fellatio ..... classic hhhhaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 5, 2022 07:55

Funny how this keeps popping up as a thread after over 43 years. I was about 25 in front of Keith and he got hit twice (that I saw) with shoes; he was irked but kept playing. Indeed Mick had goaded the crowd asking for everyone’s shoes. They were flying over my head !

Not Edison Field back then just Aneheim Stadium

Date: January 5, 2022 09:37

Pity Imelda Marcos wasnt in the audience .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 5, 2022 09:43

Rockman

smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2022 14:01

loog droog
One thing I like about Larry is, if there is a place not to go, he will go there.

Since you're a fan, in case you haven't seen it I recommend the new HBO documentary The Super Bob Einstein Movie, featuring Larry and a host of others talk about the late actor, who was best known as the deadpan stunt comedian Super Dave Osborne and also as Curb supporting cast regular Marty Funkhouser. Lots of hilarious clips and funny/affectionate remembrances from the likes of Steve Martin, Rob Reiner, Patton Oswalt, etc., plus a window into the relationship he had with his brother, Albert Brooks.

But getting back on topic...I was at the Stones show in Anaheim the day before it rained shoes on the stage, but from all the accounts I heard at the time it should be stressed that it was a good-natured thing, with no insult intended towards the Stones.

A few months earlier, while watching Elvis Costello's Hollywood High show from the balcony, I saw a shoe fly on stage at the beginning of "The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes." Standing outside after the concert, my friend introduced me to her friend who had been in the crowd close to the stage. I looked down and discovered the source...she was happily wearing one red tennis shoe!
So true about L.D. I did not know about the Super Bob Einstein Movie and I will certainly watch this as I just loved him on Letterman and on Curb , he was a riot and such a dead pan funny guy on both shows . I remember when I was a kid watching him on Letterman and thinking is he serious ? and it took me a while to figure out that was his schtick and Letterman enjoyed playing around with him and all of those goofy stunts and in some way I think the joke was they were both making fun of Evil Kenievel (remember him on ABC Wide World of Sports ? I am not aging myself to much by going there now am I ? ) Then with L.D. he played such a stuffy stick up his bum guy and he was great comedic foil for L.D. Now my mind is blown that Bob Einstein and Larry Brooks are brothers and I never ever would have thought that for a second ! We need more L.D. in our lives . I love the dynamic between L.D. and Suzy Essman , I think she is a super talented and super funny Lady and works so well with L.D. ( get the F%^k out of my house ! ) Then moving on to Mr. Jeff Garlin - Did you know he was fired/quit from "The Goldbergs" [variety.com] ? Pretty Wild as it involved his use of the word "Vagina" which I thought was a clever way of substituting for the bad C word . I was wrong as it wasn't that nefarious as it was Jeff Garlin off color humor , but I read about his termination in the NY Post which[nypost.com] Now this is something to lose a good paycheck like that ,but we all have to play by the "rules' when it comes to our paychecks myself included . You would not believe how many yearly training classes we have to take to be in compliances with our workplace rules . I love the anecdote from the Elvis Costello show and seeing the lady with one red tennis shoe as that simply is priceless ! I was bummed that Richard Lewis only was on one episode this season and that there was no Wanda Sykes this season at all . I don't know if that was due to the Pandemic or something else . This season on Curb I thought that the seasons first few episodes were pedestrian at best and then it just caught a massive tailwind and roared with great laughs and was one of the better seasons in the shows history and just goes to show how much talent and genius that L.D. has and there is no end or the barrel is still full as his mind is so fertile and flat out smart and super intelligent in the topics that L.D pokes fun at in his unique style . I could go on forever !!!!!!

smileys with beerRe: Throwing shoes on stage
Date: January 5, 2022 14:19

Rockman
Someone has a very good and long memory

Date: January 5, 2022 14:19

Rockman
Curb --- Vehicular Fellatio ..... classic hhhhaaaaaaaaaa
Loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: January 5, 2022 19:52

I did not know about Garlin being fired from The Goldbergs (a show I have no use for--nice to read that Jeff shares my disdain!) but the Vanity Fair interview with him that was linked in that Variety article you posted makes my head hurt.

Jeff seems like a real stand-up guy with his heart in the right place. To read how he's being thrown under the bus by those who can't understand his humor is infuriating.

I myself have been described as being PC, but when I read stuff like this I just feel like there is something very wrong with that position. When it's taken to the extreme and there is no appreciation for context, or the intent of someone's words this is what you get: a mindless, zero-tolerance attitude that pretends to be enlightened. I hate it.

Thank God for Larry, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:21

I was at this show, front, Keith side, Charlie was visibly angry as the shoes kept hitting his beloved drums, the left side Symbals were knocked off the drum riser and he was holding the right hand Symbals to prevent a fall off from the drum riser while at the same time getting hit by flying shoes. Provably he was the one who gave Mick a tongue lashing after the show.

Flashback to 1968 NME Show, Stones performance pictures of Mick throwing his shoes at the audience

Date: January 6, 2022 01:36

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2022 13:30

loog droog
I did not know about Garlin being fired from The Goldbergs (a show I have no use for--nice to read that Jeff shares my disdain!) but the Vanity Fair interview with him that was linked in that Variety article you posted makes my head hurt.

Jeff seems like a real stand-up guy with his heart in the right place. To read how he's being thrown under the bus by those who can't understand his humor is infuriating.

I myself have been described as being PC, but when I read stuff like this I just feel like there is something very wrong with that position. When it's taken to the extreme and there is no appreciation for context, or the intent of someone's words this is what you get: a mindless, zero-tolerance attitude that pretends to be enlightened. I hate it.

Thank God for Larry, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
One day in December last month I am reading the NY Post (rag) and I see the article about Jeff Garlin and was taken aback as he is a really funny comedian and thought that wow ABC Disney had enough and then in the Variety article it said that they had one week of taping to do and that "The Goldbergs" might be done as it's in it's 9th season I believe and it gets very costly for networks once the pass the threshold of the 7th season as networks control salaries thru 7 seasons and after that if the networks keep a show that's when the cast gets better salaries . PC Correctness is one of the tools that employers can use to "get" there employees and a lot of times it's not based on actual performance it's the proverbial personality contest and it all goes back to the powers that be want all the kids playing nice in the sandbox (workplace ) or else heavens forbid bosses have to do work when they have there own agendas .

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 6, 2022 16:54

Tonight,
We have a
REALLY
BIG
SHOE !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 18:54 by schillid.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2022 19:03

Isn't this something they tried with George W. Bush?

Date: January 6, 2022 20:55

treaclefingers

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2022 09:43

Cleveland happened a month and a half before Anaheim, and they threw shoes then.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 7, 2022 12:15

treaclefingers

In 1960 there was another famous politician who "threw" a shoe onto the international stage (United Nations General Assembly). There's only one real picture of it (the others are fake).

Date: January 7, 2022 13:13

Irix
treaclefingers

In 1960 there was another famous politician who "threw" a shoe onto the international stage (United Nations General Assembly). There's only one real picture of it (the others are fake).
Good old Nikita Khrushchev former Soviet Union Premier

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home