Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

june 17 1978 jfk show
Posted by: dariog ()
Date: November 13, 2005 20:41

3 weeks i a row and still nobody with pics to post and no stories to tell somebody has to have something i really want to no if it was a little cloudy that day i know it was really hot that day 102 outside anybody. thanks

Re: june 17 1978 jfk show
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 13, 2005 20:58

i got some nice pics from this show that i took,4 the buffalo gig i got closeups & ive tryed 2 post them & other great pics numerous times ,but it dont work 4 me ,it was cloudy that day but it wasn't that hot id say 80 or 85 tops,when i get this pic thing 2 work ill post all my pics

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 13, 2005 23:13

Hi dariog,

I went to this show, in fact it was my first Stones concert. I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was so hot that day, my recollection is very different. It was definitely cloudy, and sprinkled rain on and off all day. I remember that clearly because I had a cold, was not wearing a jacket, and got wet and dry, and wet again, all day long.

Foreigner was the opening act and they were quite boring. I've never been a fan, so maybe others think differently. I can't recall if Peter Tosh also played. I saw another 78 show in Cleveland, and I know for sure Peter was there, but not sure about Philly.

The Stones were not particularly good that day either. When they first came on, the sound was real bad, just sounding like a wall of noise. After about 3-4 songs it improved. But it seemed like the Stones never quite got it together. Everything seemed to lack energy, and they were just a little bit out of rhythm. I have a boot of the show if you'd like to hear for yourself. Email me.

Funny story about the trip to the show. I went with two other buddies, and we were driving from Cumberland, Maryland - about a 4-hour drive. We left very early in the morning, about 3am, as I recall. It started raining on the way, coming down really hard. We were partying pretty heavy, and had Some Girls in the tape deck. It was my friend's car-a Volkswagen Beetle, about 10-12 years old at that time. I was sitting in the passenger seat, banging my foot on the floor. All of a sudden my foot went through the floorboard, and rainwater started gushing into the car. My friend in the back seat and I started laughing, while the driver/owner was not nearly as amused. The broked floorboard was dragging the ground, and sparks were coming in too!

We got out, in the pouring rain, and broke the metal off. Then we emptied our cooler, flipped it upside down, and covered the hole for the rest of the trip. I moved to the back seat, and continued laughing my ass off, while the car's owner got more and more pissed at me. I later helped him pay for the repair, and we're still close friends today. Only at a Stones show!

Karl

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: November 14, 2005 00:12

I agree - that was the worst Stones show in my long career. JFK Stadium was a dump and the band phoned it in that day. Those of you who bitch about how the band sounds now should've been there.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 14, 2005 01:12

Juiced In NJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree - that was the worst Stones show in my
> long career. JFK Stadium was a dump and the band
> phoned it in that day. Those of you who bitch
> about how the band sounds now should've been
> there.

Yeah, the only thing worse than my Philly experience was going through it (another crappy show) again two weeks later in Cleveland. Fortunately the damage back in those days was only $13 a ticket. I know most of the European fans really like General Admission seating, but it was a real bummer to me in 78. You stood out there in the weather all day, and then in my case got a crappy performance.

In fact, I saw the Stones six times before I ever got a decent show. But, it's all been pretty good since then. You pay a whole lot more today, but the quality is a lot more consistent.

Karl

Posted by: dariog ()
Date: November 14, 2005 02:20

chippy looking forward to seeing those pics of the show thank so much ps i did see the 2 pics on corbis but that was about it.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 14, 2005 04:40

I do remember that was the show Rolling Stone (Dave Marsh) magizine reviewed
and blasted the gig, Some Girls, and the band in particular.
Despite the cooperation between the band and the mag, I always though it strange
that they went ahead with the review as Jagger had the flu that gig.
If I was a writer/reviewer and found out the lead singer had the flu while
reviewing a band's gig, I'd certainly wait and catch them at a later show.
Marsh and rolling Stone would certainly wait and do that for Springsteen.
I remember Marsh called either Whip or Respectable "a re-write of Rocks Off,"
"why do Love In Vain when it hasn't had a proper solo since Mick Taylor left,"
{well, they hadn't done it since Mick T. left, so why compare?) and they
did "a snippet" of Satisfaction (they did the whole song). I belive a snippet is a small section according to Websters. Anyroad, I think they had a bee in their bonnet
for the Stones at the time. Despite all of that, I always loved the boot of the show.
As Mick said before Sweet Little 16 (all stuffed up) "dis one's for you."

Posted by: rocknrollal ()
Date: November 14, 2005 05:03

yes - Jagger had the flu that day and yes...that was also by far the Worst Stones show I have ever seen. In fact - that was one of the eorst shows I've ever seen in any venue, and I've been to several hundred over the last 35 years. But NOW - the Anaheim show on Nov 4 was also pretty boring. But the San Diego show on NOv 11 was everything a Stones show should be. It was awesome. Great show, great crowd, the energy was amazing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1418
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home