Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Oasis Live Knebworth cinema release
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:46

Agree on all points. I thought their cover of SFM man was great. On a side note, Noel uses the same chord sequence from Wonderwall for Do You Know What I Mean. He said he will probably use them again.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 18, 2021 04:48

stonesstein
I have the DVD from the original release way back when..... Amazing band, amazing songs, amazing shows.

I saw them on the last 2 US gigs on 20 & 21 April, 1996 in Dallas & Austin, TX, respectively and will never forget when Noel dedicated Live Forever to the Stone Roses in Dallas, as that was the day the Roses' officially broke up. Noel has been known to say that it was the Stone Roses that got him inspired. I saw them again at the Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2002, and they were every bit as good as 1996. WOW! The 3 shows I saw of Oasis are among the best I have ever seen.

Many years back (I forget when), I raised the topic of Oasis, their live shows, and their music, but the die hards on this board couldn't admit that Oasis were that good. They even whined about Oasis (to me) amazing cover of Street Fighter. My favorite track is D'Ya Know What I Mean? from an LP, Be Here Now, which has taken a real beating over time. There are some good tracks on it, but all pale compared to DYKWIM.

Great band, great songs, great energy, great playing, great shows. See the movie in cinema - for those who never saw the band, you don't want to miss it.
For those who saw the band, it's a must, because you'll never see that band live again.

I was working in a factory that summer “do you know what I mean” was released. They were hyping it all morning, it was being played that afternoon. I swear half the factory stopped to listen to it. I like you loved the song, and I think it’s an underrated album. It was the last tour I saw Oasis on.

The Stone Roses, I caught in 1995 at a festival, but Reni was already gone by then. Squire left within weeks of that gig also. Blue, Elastica, the prodigy, thaw verve, all played that same festival.

It was an era unto itself that’s for sure.
89-96 was a great time for English music

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 08:50

There is a really funny interview with Noel on Youtube, it's from Absolute Radio interview loaded June 18, 2021. Noel talks about New Years with Keith and a couple really funny things he said. I don't know how to load it but I'm sure someone here can! Worth it!

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 10:12

The Blu ray of this is worth having. The film, plus both nights full gigs for just £15.99.
Mick, take note !

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 19, 2021 04:32

D’ya Know What I Mean? was a promising lead single from the then forthcoming third album, Be Here Now. I liked it when it came out. The album fell short of expectation though. In all fairness, I didn’t (and still don’t) think it was as bad as it was slammed in some quarters, including Noel himself when the initial hype died down. But there was no denying some anticlimactic air surrounding it. I vividly remember the huge backlash against it coming from both fans and the press back in the day. For me, all things Oasis were mostly downhill thereafter.

When Bonehead left the group in 1999, he commented that Oasis should have quit after the Knebworth. A word that carries some weight.

Date: August 19, 2021 04:50

Good songs (some of their best) on Be Here Now but suffers from bad production from Noel who was doing too much coke I have read.

Date: September 4, 2021 03:35

[m.youtube.com]

Live forever with a bit of commentary from Noel

Date: September 8, 2021 11:01

Paddy
[m.youtube.com]

Live forever with a bit of commentary from Noel

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. They were really at the peak then.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2021 11:56

terraplane
Good songs (some of their best) on Be Here Now but suffers from bad production from Noel who was doing too much coke I have read.

Yeah, the entire band were pretty much coke-addled at this point. There are some fine tunes on Be Here Now, yet, too much suffers from over-production, self-indulgence, and a complete lack of focus. All the tracks feel about ten minutes long, and there’s no bass; what happened there? The whole project is a bloated mess. The album was so hyped, too. Every music paper gave it a 5-star, glowing review, and the British public gobbled-up copies, ensuring it became, the then, fastest-selling album in U.K. chart history. Funnily enough, though, it also became the CD you’d find the most copies of at second-hand shops! Retrospectively, the album is looked-upon more realistically; although I feel Noel is a little cruel to it. The B-Sides from the singles were terrific.

Date: September 9, 2021 21:49

Big Al
terraplane

Yeah, the entire band were pretty much coke-addled at this point. There are some fine tunes on Be Here Now, yet, too much suffers from over-production, self-indulgence, and a complete lack of focus. All the tracks feel about ten minutes long, and there’s no bass; what happened there? The whole project is a bloated mess. The album was so hyped, too. Every music paper gave it a 5-star, glowing review, and the British public gobbled-up copies, ensuring it became, the then, fastest-selling album in U.K. chart history. Funnily enough, though, it also became the CD you’d find the most copies of at second-hand shops! Retrospectively, the album is looked-upon more realistically; although I feel Noel is a little cruel to it. The B-Sides from the singles were terrific.

Yeah I think he’s a bit harsh with Be here now. They sounded great on that tour also.

[www.google.ca]

I remember this story being reported back im the day that Liam didn’t know they were doing 2 nights and was on a tear after the first gig.

Date: September 21, 2021 09:50

Champagne Supernova with John Squire on guitar:

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 24, 2021 10:49

Saw this doc last night.
It’s practically 2 hours of fans saying how great this was. Even re-enactments of fans’ stories. Not really stories…just to prove how great it was.
They are probably right, but two hours the same observation is quite annoying.
But yes… gigs were much more enjoyable pre-internet/smartphone.

The gigs were obviously great. Looking forward for the physical release with both shows on it.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:42

BowieStone
Saw this doc last night.
It’s practically 2 hours of fans saying how great this was. Even re-enactments of fans’ stories. Not really stories…just to prove how great it was.
They are probably right, but two hours the same observation is quite annoying.
But yes… gigs were much more enjoyable pre-internet/smartphone.

The gigs were obviously great. Looking forward for the physical release with both shows on it.

Yeah I agree. Went and watched it too, I was quite disappointed, this is the worst Oasis doc I have ever seen. Those fans stories was unnecessary, only fun thing is I could relate to them as I saw the band three days before Knebworth and bought the ticktes by a landline phone as well.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home