Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Sticky Fingers Restaurant Closed
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 26, 2021 14:25

Lien

[www.flickr.com]

Pictures taken 25-Jun-2021:

Large picture

Large picture

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 26, 2021 15:32

Bill could sell some souvenirs like the logo outside

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 26, 2021 16:19

Surprised no IORRian has stolen the logos yet!

Date: June 26, 2021 18:25

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 26, 2021 19:02

The "cafe" part of the name always struck me as a bit odd.
Guess they were just copying the "Hard Rock Cafe" theme with the name as well as rock memorabilia etc. which was also started in London.

Might just be a language difference, but Bill's place, (as well as the Hard Rocks) featuring "American style cuisine" struck me more as a "Sticky Fingers Diner" or a "Sticky Fingers Bar & Grill" etc than "cafe".

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 27, 2021 02:45

MisterDDDD
The "cafe" part of the name always struck me as a bit odd.
Guess they were just copying the "Hard Rock Cafe" theme with the name as well as rock memorabilia etc. which was also started in London.

Might just be a language difference, but Bill's place, (as well as the Hard Rocks) featuring "American style cuisine" struck me more as a "Sticky Fingers Diner" or a "Sticky Fingers Bar & Grill" etc than "cafe".

100% through ignorance I ask if "Hard Rock" really started in London?

And, to the folk suggesting vandalising the site can I urge them not to, just in case something nice and positive comes along..... we'd all want it to be intact for that.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 27, 2021 12:27

Yes, the first Hard Rock Café was opened in London. 1971, so it's a 50th anniversary this year.

[www.hardrock.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-27 12:28 by Topi.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 27, 2021 15:20

Topi
Yes, the first Hard Rock Café was opened in London. 1971, so it's a 50th anniversary this year.

[www.hardrock.com]

Ta. Gor blimey mate! I never knew that.

(Didn't Maureen Starkey -RIP - marry one of them?)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 27, 2021 16:30

Topi

The first Hard Rock Cafe opened on 14-Jun-1971 (150 Old Park Lane, London) -- and Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers Restaurant has closed for the last time on 24-Jun-2021.

[en.Wikipedia.org]

Date: June 27, 2021 16:52

Topi

[www.hardrock.com]

Thanks for the link Topi, was unaware that it was a couple Americans that started it in London.
The description "they opened up an American style diner and called it Hard Rock Cafe" matched my description of them. Funny, but even the header on this thread uses "restaurant".. cafe just doesn't fit imo.

Wonder if there was any business issues with the band in Bill's use of the name.
Not likely I suppose, but I'd be curious if the Glimmers were consulted or had to sign off on it.

Bill could have gone all-in on the Hard Rock "inspiration" and went with Hot Rocks Cafe I suppose, but that might have been a bit too blatant a copy winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 27, 2021 17:38

I read an article (forget the English publication) that had a portion of an interview with Bill when the restaurant opened. Bill said that the menu was the food that he liked to eat. It's a minor miracle that he's lasted as long as he has! Godspeed to him.

Date: June 27, 2021 19:50

crholmstrom

Bill said that the menu was the food that he liked to eat.

As it can easily be seen by his figure .... winking smiley

Bill in early 2017 - [www.DailyMail.co.uk]

[www.StickyFingers.co.uk] - Gallery

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 27, 2021 23:45

Like they say: you're ugly and he can go on a diet!

And actually he don't look bad for his age.

jb

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: June 28, 2021 00:54

I visited it in the early 2000's.

It was still owned by Bill then, and burgers were good (albeit expensive but this is London!).

My main problem was music being a bit too loud to my ears so avoided it after a couple of time

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 28, 2021 03:27

MisterDDDD
Topi

[www.hardrock.com]

Thanks for the link Topi, was unaware that it was a couple Americans that started it in London.
The description "they opened up an American style diner and called it Hard Rock Cafe" matched my description of them. Funny, but even the header on this thread uses "restaurant".. cafe just doesn't fit imo.

Wonder if there was any business issues with the band in Bill's use of the name.
Not likely I suppose, but I'd be curious if the Glimmers were consulted or had to sign off on it.

Bill could have gone all-in on the Hard Rock "inspiration" and went with Hot Rocks Cafe I suppose, but that might have been a bit too blatant a copy winking smiley

I'm going to guess that the name, regardless of it being the same name as a Rolling Stones album, was not trademarked and copyrighted in regard to anything else, just as an album by The Rolling Stones. To my knowledge that does not prevent anyone post-1971 from naming an album STICKY FINGERS.

Why anyone would do that... there is the band with that same name and an eponymous LP.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: June 28, 2021 06:08

I took myself there for lunch when I was in London for the 50th anniversary gigs at the O2. I can't recall what I ordered now but was happy with it that I do remember. I was a little disappointed with the memorabilia that adorned the walls, obviously a lot was cool but I was expecting more rarities for eg there were lots of those lithos of album covers and past tours that came out in '94-'95 of which I have all of. They were I recall a commercial flop, I was just surprised they were so heavily featured.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 28, 2021 21:25

Irix

Bill in early 2017 - [www.DailyMail.co.uk]

Looking prosperous!!!

Posted by: JAF4JJF ()
Date: June 28, 2021 21:38

I need to find the pics I have of lunches at "Stickies" ! Still hoping for a miracle that next time I am in London I can go again.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: June 30, 2021 21:41

I went to the one in Chattanooga, but it seemed it had nothing to do with the Stones. There wasn't even a Tongue Logo in there.
Food was ok, nothing special.

Date: June 30, 2021 22:02

ManuelStones
I went to the one in Chattanooga, but it seemed it had nothing to do with the Stones. There wasn't even a Tongue Logo in there.
Food was ok, nothing special.

Seemed that way because it didn't. Or Wyman.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 1, 2021 06:36

I had the luck to visit it in June 2018!
The food didn't impress me much but it was a special moment for me anyway!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home