Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
MY Anaheim Review
Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 6, 2005 02:58

Ronnie - What has happened to this man? Most telling moment was the glimpse I caught of him rolling his eyes in boredom and perhaps anger. He definitely does not like his job any longer.

Charlie - Where's the swing? It wasn't there last night. Does hitting the skins really hard now supposed to make up for last of enthusiam? A phone in performance.

Keith - Forced to play 90% of the solos, and he certainly did his best. His solo set was terrible. I usually love Slipping Away, but this was definitely a sad rendition. And Infamy - more aweful than ther recording! Who's lying to these guys that this is a good song? A new song "from our album A Bang and a Boom"? It's like, hey, you idiots bought it.

Mick - Couple of phone in performances, but otherwise the usual professional performance.

Stars: 1.5 out of 5.

Hightlight: Night Time is the Right Time.

Lowlight: Sound snafu on the last song of the encore, JJF.

Time to hang it up. They won't be able to get away with $450 tickets any longer with these kinds of performances.

Re: MY Anaheim Review
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 6, 2005 03:29

It's sad to read that...they were quite competent when I saw them a few months ago but a bit of the magic was gone. I hope the performances haven't really deterioriated that much.

People who fantasize about 50th anniversary tours are truly deluded.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 6, 2005 03:43

Unfortunatly, I have to agree with most of bigbang, with a few exceptions.
--The stage wasn't as big as I though it would be, which I think is good.
--I have no idea what was going on with Ron Wood. I was rooting for him
like one would Rocky Balboa, but he just wasn't there. The only time he came alive
was when he played bottleneck and a few b-bender licks. Not one inspired guitar solo. YCAGWYW was awful.
He was definitely was down in the mix, at least where I was sitting.
To be fair, however, there's not much for him to do on Ruby Tueday and Paint it Black. I really think he would rather do a Faces reunion.
--Keith was fantastic. Great playing, great solos. Too much posing, though.
His version of Slipping Away was quite good. But once he started that song,
that was when everyone went for the hot dogs and bathroom. He should have known
better and played a different tune to keep everyone in their seats.
Infamy should be dropped altogether. Doesn't work live and it doesn't work
on record either.
--although Infamy didn't work live, Rough Justice and ONNYA did.
--Mick was good, but it was a phoned-in performance.
--Charlie's always good.
--Get Off Of My Cloud was a great choice.
--They need a new bass player. Darryl Jones doesn't cut it anymore.
No groove. No nothing.
--The Ray Charles tune is OK, but I'd rather hear a Chuck Berry song.
--The brass section is totally useless, as is Blondie Chapman.
--Chuck still counts the songs in. Who's band is this?

Highlight for me was Keith's guitar playing. He was really on last night.
Biggest letdown was Ronnie--and i'm a huge Wood fan. He's been a big influence
on my guitar playing, but what the hell is going on here?
Maybe a boot of the show will prove me wrong. I have tickets for
the LA Forum show in March. THat better be a better show than this or I'm finished
going to see them. But believe it or not, after all this bitching...
I still had a good time...even though it took me 2 hours to get there.

Posted by: slabby ()
Date: November 6, 2005 04:52

This was a milestone show for me - my 20th show (started with Voodoo). I had a great time, as always, but would rank the show 20th of 20.

First of all it took 3 hours to get from LA to Aneheim. The Angels stadium sucked as there was like 1 entrance to the parking lot, and 20000 cars trying to get in. A poorly run stadium all around. There was WAY, WAY too much security. It's a rock concert, not an Taliban convention.

Second, football stadiums will ALWAYS be better than baseball stadiums for concerts. In baseball stadiums the sound is worse and its too spread out.

Third, the Stones were just plain off, but enjoyable regardless. At times it seemed they really didn't want to be there. But then again who WOULD want to be in Aneheim anyway !

I know they still have it because I saw Soldier Field and Giants Stadium, and those shows were red hot.

Hope the Bowl is better.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 6, 2005 05:16

I think the boys are really just doing it for the money this time,
never felt this before , but i am afraid it may be true this time around

Date: November 6, 2005 06:55

They need to stop it with You Got Me Rocking as the second song in... Everyone was rocking out to SMU, then YGMR started and everyone in my section just sat down, like on cue.

I had my son and my teenage Stones virgin daughter with me, and they both thought the concert was good. And they played Sarah's favorite stones song, PIB, and she was jazzed about that. So I am really having to keep my true opinion of the concert, as a thirty year Stones fan, to myself. Don't want to rain on their parade.

I am willing, however, to rain on yours.smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2005 07:02

keefriff99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's sad to read that...they were quite competent
> when I saw them a few months ago but a bit of the
> magic was gone. I hope the performances haven't
> really deterioriated that much.
>
> People who fantasize about 50th anniversary tours
> are truly deluded.

Saw them on the Licks tour and I thought they were great! I was very proud of the boys. The feeling this time is just wrong, can't put my finger on it. I don't know how they're going to last on the road for another year or whatever.

Cher knew when to quit. McCartney didn't. I hope the Stone do. Keith, the wheels may not have fallen off, but it still may be time to think about retiring the old girl.

Posted by: ferrante9 ()
Date: November 6, 2005 11:13

anaheim's show was no way near the show i saw back in 2003 in La , the nrdc free concert.

mick was much more active, and more inspirational.

BORING SET LIST...NO BEAST OF BURDEN, ONLY 21 SONGS........THEY WERE TRYING TO RUSH THROUGH THE SET LIST SO THEY COULD GO LAUGH THEIR ASSES ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

CROWD WAS LAME AS WELL, SECURITY PEOPLE WERE JUST @#$%&, AMERICAN FANS ARE JUST BORING COMPARED TO THE EUROPEANS.

STADIUM SHOWS WERE MADE TO GO CRAZY, SING, DANCE, CLAP, ETC...NOT TO SIT DOWN AND TO HAVE THOSE FUNKING SECUTIRY PEOPLE THREATENING YOU OF BEING KICKED OUT.

MISSED THE OPENING ACT BECAUSE IT TOOK FOREVER TO GET IN THE STADIUM, AND TO GET TO YOUR FLOOR SEATS YOU HAD TO GET IN LINE AGAIN TO GET A STUPID WRIST BAND??? UNBELIEVEABLE.

IF IT WASN'T FOR THE B STAGE, THE SHOW WOULD HAVE BEEN SO SO........THE B STAGE THINGY REALLY SAVED THE CONCERT. THEY SHOULD PLAY MORE SONGS ON THE B STAGE....

AND NIGHT TIME WAS A BAD CHOICE///... WHY NOT PLAY I WANNA BE YOUR MAN OR HELTEK SKELTER INSTEAD...IF THEY WANT TO COVER A GOOD SONG...CHOSE SOMETHING GOOD!!!!

OVERALL...IT WAS OK....... THE CROWD DIDN'T HELP THE SHOW AT ALL,

MISS YOU IS MY FAV SONG, BUT THEY JUST F ED IT UP LAST NIGHT.

AND NO BEAST OF BURDEN???

THAT'S WHY PAUL MCCARTNEY IS STILL THE KING OF THE KINGS OF LIVE SHOWS.

EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T HAVE A B STAGE, DOESN'T CHANGE HIS SET LIST......HE CAN STILL ROCK A HUGE STADIUM WITH A MIX OF BALLADS, ROCK, HEAVY METAL, SING ALONG, ACOUSTIC NUMBERS.

I D GO SEE THEM AGAIN.......JUST BECAUSE OF THE B STAGE......BUT IF YOU IT'S TOO EXPANSIVE, SAVE YOUR MONEY, AND GO SEE PAUL MCCARTNEY INSTEAD.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: November 6, 2005 11:56

I sometimes lurk on other boards, Shidoobee of course and sometimes for a good laugh on mj.com, the girlie and housewife site about Mick and the Stones.

That's funny. Reading your reviews where you discussing set-lists, musicianship, performances etc. and the one's on mj.com where they discussing Micks jackets, his hair-do and what color Charlies T-Shirt had at the Anaheim show and the show in Portland a couple of days before. The girls and houswifes on mj.com love just everything about the Stones, they're absolutely non-critical, the set-lists are just fantastic and so on. I´m glad not every board is like mj.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-06 11:58 by Aucoin.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: November 6, 2005 14:26

ferrante9 Wrote:
> anaheim's show was no way near the show i saw back
> in 2003 in La , the nrdc free concert.
>
>
> mick was much more active, and more
> inspirational.
>
> BORING SET LIST...NO BEAST OF BURDEN, ONLY 21
> SONGS........THEY WERE TRYING TO RUSH THROUGH THE
> SET LIST SO THEY COULD GO LAUGH THEIR ASSES ALL
> THE WAY TO THE BANK.
>
>
> CROWD WAS LAME AS WELL, SECURITY PEOPLE WERE JUST
> @#$%&, AMERICAN FANS ARE JUST BORING COMPARED TO
> THE EUROPEANS.
>
> STADIUM SHOWS WERE MADE TO GO CRAZY, SING, DANCE,

Even if you use capital letters or colourful letters I don't believe you
> CLAP, ETC...NOT TO SIT DOWN AND TO HAVE THOSE
> FUNKING SECUTIRY PEOPLE THREATENING YOU OF BEING
> KICKED OUT.
>
> MISSED THE OPENING ACT BECAUSE IT TOOK FOREVER TO
> GET IN THE STADIUM, AND TO GET TO YOUR FLOOR
> SEATS YOU HAD TO GET IN LINE AGAIN TO GET A STUPID
> WRIST BAND??? UNBELIEVEABLE.
>
>
> IF IT WASN'T FOR THE B STAGE, THE SHOW WOULD HAVE
> BEEN SO SO........THE B STAGE THINGY REALLY SAVED
> THE CONCERT. THEY SHOULD PLAY MORE SONGS ON
> THE B STAGE....
>
>
> AND NIGHT TIME WAS A BAD CHOICE///... WHY NOT PLAY
> I WANNA BE YOUR MAN OR HELTEK SKELTER INSTEAD...IF
> THEY WANT TO COVER A GOOD SONG...CHOSE SOMETHING
> GOOD!!!!
>
>
> OVERALL...IT WAS OK....... THE CROWD DIDN'T HELP
> THE SHOW AT ALL,
>
> MISS YOU IS MY FAV SONG, BUT THEY JUST F ED IT UP
> LAST NIGHT.
>
> AND NO BEAST OF BURDEN???
>
>
>
> THAT'S WHY PAUL MCCARTNEY IS STILL THE KING OF THE
> KINGS OF LIVE SHOWS.
>
> EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T HAVE A B STAGE, DOESN'T
> CHANGE HIS SET LIST......HE CAN STILL ROCK A HUGE
> STADIUM WITH A MIX OF BALLADS, ROCK, HEAVY METAL,
> SING ALONG, ACOUSTIC NUMBERS.
>
>
> I D GO SEE THEM AGAIN.......JUST BECAUSE OF THE B
> STAGE......BUT IF YOU IT'S TOO EXPANSIVE, SAVE
> YOUR MONEY, AND GO SEE PAUL MCCARTNEY INSTEAD.
>
>

Even if you use capital letters or colourful letters I don't believe you...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 6, 2005 18:53

It's sad to read that review which oppose to most of the other reports on this tour. I want to believe it was " a sad,sad day".

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 6, 2005 19:07

WoW. Another basically brutal review. The clock is ticking gentleman. Time to let the cat out and pull down the bedsheets.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: November 6, 2005 19:51

All I can say is, they positively smoked at MCI four weeks ago, and the recordings from Albany, Charlottesville and elsewhere suggest they're still great.

Granted Ronnie's solos haven't sounded as good this tour as they did in 2002, but then, the sound mix is different (better in my opinion - deeper and louder guitars); and Keith has been taking more solos (and sounding excellent in numerous shows!).

Based on the recording of the excellent Charlottesville, VA concert of three weeks ago, I'd have to say that, assuming the above review of Anaheim is accurate, it was just an off night.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 6, 2005 20:30

bigbang Wrote:
> They need to stop it with You Got Me Rocking as
> the second song in... Everyone was rocking out to
> SMU, then YGMR started and everyone in my section
> just sat down, like on cue.
>
> I had my son and my teenage Stones virgin daughter
> with me,

THIS is basically the problem.... it's a bunch of mid-life crises fans expecting a legendary rock band to get them off their seats and into the groove they used to have when they were in their teens and twenties...

Ain't gonna happen...

When you reach the point that you have to SIT DOWN when You Got Me Rockin' is playing... it's time for YOU to hang it up...

They could replace EVERY MEMBER of this band and you wouldn't have one bit more groove.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 6, 2005 20:36

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 6, 2005 20:42

must be a Cali thing LOL

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: November 6, 2005 20:50

Instead of going in to darkness, just remeber - they were playing extremely good just a few days ago further north....

So having a bad day in Anaheim is not the end of the world..... on a regular day, they are still on the level that most bands don't reach...... - neither Macca .....

In regards to Macca, it is also possible to go to a Robbie Williams show and see the stadium rock..... so Macca is not the only one that can make a stadium rock...

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 6, 2005 20:52

ya stones r gatherin moss in calif ,,, those laid back crowds suck ,,,next blast thru the land jan 06

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 6, 2005 21:09

Stay home next time so we can get better seats. Thanks!

BTW, aren't you SoCal (Southern California and so-called) fans the same one who arrive at the Dodgers (Angels, too, I'm guessing) games in the third inning and leave in the seventh to beat traffic? Go lay on the beach and listen to Van Halen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-06 21:13 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: November 6, 2005 21:11

I was at the show and I gotta say that I disagree with a lot of the previous posts.

Josh

Date: November 6, 2005 21:26

Well I saw 5 shows on the Licks tour and had an absolute BLAST everytime...never once did I believe those cynical people claiming they were only in it for the money.

Look at the incredible variety of songs on the Licks tour, the different sized venues played...who could really believe that they were about the $$$?

But this tour seems like a complete 180 from Licks...the vibe, the enthusiasm, everything has changed. It's a shame.

Date: November 6, 2005 21:34

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> bigbang Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They need to stop it with You Got Me Rocking
> as
> > the second song in... Everyone was rocking
> out to
> > SMU, then YGMR started and everyone in my
> section
> > just sat down, like on cue.
> >
> > I had my son and my teenage Stones virgin
> daughter
> > with me,
>
> THIS is basically the problem.... it's a bunch of
> mid-life crises fans expecting a legendary rock
> band to get them off their seats and into the
> groove they used to have when they were in their
> teens and twenties...
>
> Ain't gonna happen...
>
> When you reach the point that you have to SIT DOWN
> when You Got Me Rockin' is playing... it's time
> for YOU to hang it up...
>
> They could replace EVERY MEMBER of this band and
> you wouldn't have one bit more groove.
>
> "It's just that demon life has got me in it's
> sway..."

EVERYONE (all ages) in my immediate vicinity sat down, except for my party. Don't read anything into my post that isn't there. YGMR is a sucky song that they played with absolutely no conviction whatsoever, as they did at least half of the setlist that night.

I don't need to be lectured about age, and going to a Stones concert is not a nostalgia move for me, dick. BLIND ACCEPTANCE OF SHIT AT $450 A POP IS "BASICALLY THE PROBLEM." The day is coming when they won't be able to get away with it.

Date: November 6, 2005 21:36

chippy Wrote:
> ya stones r gatherin moss in calif ,,, those laid
> back crowds suck ,,,next blast thru the land jan
> 06

Have you actually been to a concert in California?

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: November 6, 2005 21:42

"I don't need to be lectured about age, and going to a Stones concert is not a nostalgia move for me, dick. BLIND ACCEPTANCE OF SHIT AT $450 A POP IS "BASICALLY THE PROBLEM." The day is coming when they won't be able to get away with it. "

I was at Soldier Field, payed 90 USD and had a greatd time......

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 6, 2005 23:17

I was up in the upper deck. The show was okay. some groups of people were into it, others werent. Even though hardly anything for tickets were available on Ticketmaster the last several months, there were hundreds if not thousands of empty seats. Probably held back for Ameriquest employees who never showed up.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 6, 2005 23:45

Stones should blow off California and Europe,
and come back to the East Coast where they are loved and appreciated.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 6, 2005 23:45

Good and sad report, thanks. BV, how was your report from this show?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 7, 2005 00:47

ferrante9 wrote:

>paul mccartney is lame and the stones are the best. i was wrong about mccartney! sorry iorr guys that i'm such a moron!

yes ferrante9, u r dumb, but thank god u realize that mccartney sucks.

Posted by: ferrante9 ()
Date: November 7, 2005 01:21

ROBBIE WILLIAMS CAN ROCK A STADIUM...BUT ONLY IN THE UK......AND THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MACCA AND ROBBIE WILLIAMS.

MACCA CAN GO TO THE US, LATIN AMERICA, FAR EAST, DOWNUNDER, AFRICA, AND STILL GET EVERYBODY ROCKING IN A HUGE STADIUM

DO YOU THINK ROBBIE WILLIAMS CAN FILL UP A STADIUM IN THE US ???? MAYBE A SMALL THEATHER, BUT NOT A STADIUM OR AN ARENA FOR THAT MATTER.

DON'T GE ME WRONG, I HAD A GOOD TIME LAST FRIDAY....BUT COMPARED TO THE SHOW I SAW AT STAPLES IN 2003, IT WASN'T NEARLY AS GOOD.

WHY COULDN'T THEY STICK TO THE SAME SET LIST AS THEY ONE THE PLAYIN IN BOSTON?????

RAIN FALL DOWN IS THE NEW SINGLE.....HOW COME THEY ARE NOT PLAYING IT/?????? IT'S A NO BRAINER.

IF THEY KNOW THAT THE B STAGE IS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SHOW....WHY NOT PLAY MORE SONGS ON THE B STAGE????

I DONT KNOW, BUT IT MUST BE BECAUSE THE SOUTHER CALIFORNIA PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND LAME. THERE WERE THOUSANDS OF EMPTY SEATS, AND PEOPLE LEFT EARLY WAY BEFORE THE END OF THE SHOW.

SECURITY PEOPLE WERE @#$%&..........AND INSTEAD OF SAYING ANYTHING...THE STONES LET THEM BE @#$%&. MARK KNOPFLER THIS YEAR STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG A SAID " @#$%& SECURITY LEAVE THE FANS ALONE" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT....HOW COOL IS THAT FOR MARK KNOPFLER TO DO THAT????

EVEN MACCA STOPPED HIS SHOW THIS YEAR AND TOLD SECURITY OFF.

THAT'S WHY I THINK THE STONES ARE IN FOR THE MONEY.....AND NOT BECAUSE THEY ENJOY PERFORMING OR BECAUSE OF THE FANS.

ANYWAY....OVERALL I LL GIVE IT A "B" FOR THE SHOW...OR 3.5 OUT OF 5 STARS.

THE B STAGE THINGY WAS THE HIGHLIGHT LIKE I SAID, IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A " C " PERFORMANCE.

IT COULD BE BECAUSE THEY PLAYED IN A STADIUM...SO THAT'S WHY IT WAS HARD FOR THEM TO CONNECT WITH THE AUDIENCE.........IT'S HARD TO HAVE THAT INTIMACY WITHT HE FANS IN A STADIUM

BUT THAT'S NO EXCUSE, BECAUSE MACCA , LAST YEAR IN ERUOPE, GOT EVEYBODY INTO THE SHOW....AND HE PLAYED IN BIG STADIUMS!!!!!!!

Date: November 7, 2005 01:34

Their legacy is too big to overcome...they have to churn out the warhorses every night...Ronnie is struggling with sobriety, and probably feeling un-appreciated and un-inspired.

They keep playing these gargantuan venues and focusing on spectacle with cool but garish stage designs.

And for some reason, it seems like they don't have much confidence in their new album. I mean, what the @#$%&?? For a band renowned for "greed", they and Virgin did an appalling job on marketing this album. How can a band with hundreds of millions of dollars be so bad at PR and promotion??

If the Stones insist on continuing, they MUST do away with stadiums, and possibly even arenas. Strip it down, get back to basics, focus on the MUSIC...

...BUT...are the Stones themselves even interested in the music?? Their tastes have diverged over the years. Who knows what Keith is even into anymore? No solo albums in 12 years, spotty contributions on ABB...

Do they want to be musicians or worshipped rockstars, larger than life, projected on a huge digital screen in cool clothes and striking poses?

Ehh, I dunno...I'm rambling...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home