Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Has Woody changed his name to Donald Duck?
Posted by: czr ()
Date: November 6, 2005 02:42

Someone told me that he signed an item for charity as D.D. Any one know about this??
CZR.

Re: Has Woody changed his name to Donald Duck?
Posted by: RubyKel ()
Date: November 6, 2005 03:23

It was Keith...the story is that he signed his name....then crossed it out and instead signed Daffy Duck. It was on a painted hockey mask that Ronnie had done for charity.

Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood painted mask included in charity auction

Neil Stevens
Canadian Press

Saturday, November 05, 2005

TORONTO (CP) - This may come as a shock to Rolling Stones fans, but Keith Richards has changed his name to Daffy Duck and the Hockey Hall of Fame has the proof.

Stones guitarist Ron Wood, who also is an established artist, painted one of the five goalie masks in The Source For Sports One-Of-A-Kind Mask Auction, which opened for bids Friday, and band members autographed the mask that will be on display in the hockey shrine.

Richards, for reasons only he could explain, crossed out his signature and replaced it with Daffy Duck.

This alone will make the Stones mask a valuable curio to the successful bidder, which makes the Canadian and American Spinal Research Organizations happy because all proceeds from the auction go to their Shoot For A Cure project to prevent and cure spinal cord injuries.

Wood calls his mask Under The Ice. The dominant colour is bright green, and fish are depicted. He did it last summer while the Stones were in the city rehearsing for a world tour that had them in Anaheim, Calif., on Friday night.

Another popular mask will be the one autographed by Wayne Gretzky. His memorabilia distributor had Californian Dylan Jones paint it. The multicoloured design features an alien of unknown origin.

Basketball great Michael Jordan, golfer Tiger Woods and a group of world poker champions autographed the other three masks.

Artist Susie Matthias from London, Ont., paints with her mouth because of exposure to thalidomide and she created the Jordan and Woods masks. Mike James of Burlington, Ont., painted the poker champions' mask.

"We've done something special here, I think," Barry Munro, the driving force for Shoot For A Cure, says of the creations. "I'm just worried about how we're going to repeat this next year."

One year ago, a mask painted by Hockey Night In Canada analyst Don Cherry went to goldenpalace.com for $16,000 US, making it the most expensive hockey goalie mask in history. In all, more than $30,000 Cdn was raised through the 2004 auction, and Munro hopes that can be topped this time.

The masks are being auctioned through the official NHL website, www.nhl.com, through Dec. 3. They are on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame until next spring, when they'll be turned over to the successful bidders.

More than 250 Canadians have suffered major spinal cord injuries playing hockey during the last 20 years, and more than 30,000 Canadians are living with a spinal cord injury from all causes. Munro is in a wheelchair as a result of a 1987 diving accident.

Source For Sports, a national buying organization with more than 200 affiliated, independently-owned sporting goods stores across Canada, linked up with Shoot For A Cure as chief sponsor in 2003.

Wood, 58, lives in Clane, Ireland, but he was 13 and living in England when he won his first art prize. Some of his most popular paintings and drawings have featured concert and backstage scenes.

The mask project came about when Toronto promoter Michael Cohl, who manages Stones tours, was asked by a friend who is a Shoot For A Cure supporter if he could arrange for Wood to participate in the fundraising effort.

Wood was happy to oblige, and Daffy Duck joined in, too.

[auctions.nhl.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 6, 2005 04:03

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: czr ()
Date: November 6, 2005 05:09

Cool, thanks I thought my girlfriend was playing with me. smiling smiley I guess the radio DJ said it was Woody.
CZR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-06 05:12 by czr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home