Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Rest in peace, Captain Sir Tom Moore
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 4, 2021 15:15

EddieByword

From Captain to Colonel- missing out the rank of Major in the process....

Captain Sir Tom Moore was promoted to a Honorary Colonel . This has nothing to do with the usual military career. It's similar in Science with the honorary degree .

In the Army there were (still are?) times were you could become Officer without an study / degree of a University. If I remember my military service correctly, the step from Captain to Major wasn't that 'easy' like from Lieutenant to Captain. Of course, 'Major Tom' sounds funny ....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 4, 2021 15:35

Irix
EddieByword

.I heard that he was given an Honourary promotion in the army - From Captain to Colonel - missing out the rank of Major in the process....

Captain Sir Tom Moore was promoted to a Honorary Colonel . This has nothing to do with the usual military career. It's similar in Science with the honorary degree .

In the Army there were (still are?) times were you could become Officer without an study / degree of a University. If I remember my military service correctly, the step from Captain to Major wasn't that 'easy' like from Lieutenant to Captain. Of course, 'Major Tom' sounds funny ....

I did understand that it was an Honourary promotion - as per my original post re-instated here..........

My father ended his career as a Major - started as a Private in 1950 ....Non-commissioned officer.

You can also become an officer without going through the ranks by going to Sandhurst or other lesser known military academies. Commissioned officer.

Date: February 4, 2021 16:00

EddieByword

I did understand that it was an Honourary promotion - as per my original post re-instated here....

Yep, I've read over that part (saw just Captain, Major, Colonel). And now I see that it was intended by you as a 'joke' - promotion from Captain to Colonel - to avoid the nickname 'Major Tom' .... grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 4, 2021 17:06

Irix
EddieByword

I did understand that it was an Honourary promotion - as per my original post re-instated here....

Yep, I've read over that part (saw just Captain, Major, Colonel). And now I see that it was intended by you as a 'joke' - promotion from Captain to Colonel - to avoid the nickname 'Major Tom' .... grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 4, 2021 20:29

Big Al
Sadly, there's always one.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

This appalling insult to the memory of Captain Sir Tom and to his family is the last thing you'd expect to hear from the mouth of a clergyman. May he get his just deserts.

Date: February 5, 2021 01:05

Aquamarine

That photo of him being knighted by the Queen is iconic in almost too many ways to count. Two old warriors, still (just about) standing. So sad that his time finally ran out, but a life so well-lived. RIP, Captain Tom.

It's also iconic that the Officer fought for his country again - at the age of 100 - and 75 years after WWII. Himself he lost against the enemy (a virus) but the battle will be won ....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home