Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: O/T The Monkees
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2021 19:34

NashvilleBlues
Cooltoplady
NashvilleBlues
Music industry creation, like N*Sync, Milli Vanilli, The Sex Pistols (Sid couldn't play bass, at all, and they ripped off their whole look from Richard Hell), etc.

So whats your point? Why even post that?

Because this is a place to post opinions, right? Not my cup of tea. Just saying they are about on par with the Chuck E Cheese robot animal band. Not much integrity. I'm not going to stop anyone from enjoying them. No need to get so butt-hurt about it.

I dont know why you would post that either. We know, we ALL know. Talk about the wrecking crew then. Geeez Get with the program

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 6, 2021 19:37

More Hot Rocks
NashvilleBlues
Cooltoplady
NashvilleBlues
Music industry creation, like N*Sync, Milli Vanilli, The Sex Pistols (Sid couldn't play bass, at all, and they ripped off their whole look from Richard Hell), etc.

So whats your point? Why even post that?

Because this is a place to post opinions, right? Not my cup of tea. Just saying they are about on par with the Chuck E Cheese robot animal band. Not much integrity. I'm not going to stop anyone from enjoying them. No need to get so butt-hurt about it.

I dont know why you would post that either. We know, we ALL know. Talk about the wrecking crew then. Geeez Get with the program

Guessed I missed the memo about what exactly "the program," you're talking about is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2021 19:39

What's next - people start critiquing the integrity of The Partridge Family?

Date: May 6, 2021 20:10

Haha! I don't think The Monkees take themselves as seriously as some of you do.

Date: May 6, 2021 20:10

Haha! I don't think The Monkees take themselves as seriously as some of you do.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:49

Hairball

When I was younger I thought Susan Dey was the hot one, now I realize it was Shirley Jones! hot smiley

Actually, Mickey, Davy, Shirley, and David were all pretty good singers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2021 18:45

Hairball

Danny was the glue that held it all together...he had that...I don't know, wobble or something that just made the songs groove. He and Chris had a lock on the rhythm.

Date: May 7, 2021 20:52

treaclefingers
Hairball

Danny was the glue that held it all together...he had that...I don't know, wobble or something that just made the songs groove. He and Chris had a lock on the rhythm.

I'm just surprised you remembered Chris's name

Date: May 8, 2021 05:11

More Hot Rocks
treaclefingers
Hairball

You shouldn't be. I'm dyed-in-the-wool.

Date: May 11, 2021 06:18

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
treaclefingers
Hairball

Are you talking about the dark haired or blonde Chris? Getting a new son to drum for you is really Spinal Tap

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2021 15:07

This has shockingly become my favorite thread in ages. Certainly the most fun.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 12, 2021 02:53

When someone says "that's what they say". I say who are "they" The Partridge Family?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 02:15

have always enjoyed the Monkees. They are one of many guilty pleasures that I have.

Date: May 13, 2021 02:34

More Hot Rocks
treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
treaclefingers
Hairball

Are you talking about the dark haired or blonde Chris? Getting a new son to drum for you is really Spinal Tap

Dark-haired Chris couldn't drum, everyone knows that. Blonde-haired Chris was a prodigy. If they hadn't cancelled the series when they did he was destined to pull a Phil Collins and become a vocalist in his own right, wresting that away from Keith.

But that's show-biz.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 02:38

Hairball

Another one of my guilty pleasures! Quite enjoy their greatest hits to this day! Very catchy stuff indeed!!

Date: May 13, 2021 03:11

OK...then what else is next...maybe the Banana Splits? lol...
Not sure if they made it internationally, and could be a US thing only, but from '68-'70 these zany tv creatures were out of control shredders.
And not sure if they even had an actual hit song, but the title theme song is somewhat legendary - especially for those of us who were young kids when it originally aired.

Legend has it that Bob Marley might have been inspired by the "tra-la-la, tra-la-la-la" part for his Buffalo Soldier tune...hard to say if that's true or not, but there's definitely some similarities.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:47

Posted in other thread, but Charlie (of all people cool smiley) shares his thoughts on The Monkees..
starting at 3:00 ish

Date: May 13, 2021 04:22

Hairball
Not sure if they made it internationally, and could be a US thing only, but from '68-'70 these zany tv creatures were out of control shredders.
And not sure if they even had an actual hit song, but the title theme song is somewhat legendary - especially for those of us who were young kids when it originally aired.

Legend has it that Bob Marley might have been inspired by the "tra-la-la, tra-la-la-la" part for his Buffalo Soldier tune...hard to say if that's true or not, but there's definitely some similarities.

I was 5 years old in 1970 and this was my favourite show ever.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 13, 2021 04:56

Hairball

Marley said that one of his earliest influences growing up was listening to Ricky Nelson records on the radio.

Which is kind of a mind-blower, because you think of Bob Marley being such a heavy, significant artist, while Ricky Nelson was a packaged, groomed, hit-maker with a television show as a promotion platform. Ozzy hired the best session guys (like James Burton) to make those records, so Ricky's career was the Monkees prototype.

Barry White was a Banana Splits songwriter.

Date: May 13, 2021 05:03

treaclefingers
Hairball

I was 5 years old in 1970 and this was my favourite show ever.

smiling smiley

I was 5 yrs. old in 1968 when it debuted, and it was a favorite the next couple of years!

Read all about it via wiki: Banana Splits

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 14, 2021 20:11

What's with all these folks slagging the Monkees? If they were playing gigs close to my city, I wouldn't hesitate to see them. IMHO, out of the four of them, I think that Mike and Micky were the strongest of the unit and sang the best tunes out of the Monkees catalogue. Who gives a shit if the Monkees had side-men play on the early albums? Its too bad that critics wrote them off because I think they came into their own by the time they released their 3rd and 4th records: Headquarters and the follow-up, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones. Great tunes on both records.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 20:14 by Sighunt.

Date: May 14, 2021 20:20

Sighunt
What's with all these folks slagging the Monkees? If they were playing gigs close to my city, I wouldn't hesitate to see them. IMHO, out of the four of them, I think that Mike and Micky were the strongest of the unit and sang the best tunes out of the Monkees catalogue. Who gives a shit if the Monkees had side-men play on the early albums? Its too bad that critics wrote them off because I think they came into their own by the time they released their 3rd and 4th records: Headquarters and the follow-up, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones. Great tunes on both records.

yeah, I think they defied the odds and actually became a legitimate and great act.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 14, 2021 20:43

No offense to anybody, taste is something to respect, but ... in Europe the Monkees were mostly seen as an attempt of the USA record business to create a band that could cope with the immense success of The Beatles. Heavily promoted with special TV series, they were mostly laughable, not in the first place in the eyes of fans of bands like the Stones, Animals, Them, Yardbirds, etc.
Some very good songwriters were hired to give them some very nice hitsongs, but well ...
That concept was later on repeated for instance in the UK, where numorous boy bands and girl bands were created. Business and (sorry ladies) very much focussed on those young 10 - 15 years young screaming girls. Very artificial, but sometimes nice (hidden pleasures). However, the early British bands came from a natural passion among young people to make music, some (very) talented, some one-day flies. Nothing can beat spontaniety cool smiley
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 14, 2021 21:31

georgie48
No offense to anybody, taste is something to respect, but ... in Europe the Monkees were mostly seen as an attempt of the USA record business to create a band that could cope with the immense success of The Beatles. Heavily promoted with special TV series, they were mostly laughable, not in the first place in the eyes of fans of bands like the Stones, Animals, Them, Yardbirds, etc.
Some very good songwriters were hired to give them some very nice hitsongs, but well ...
That concept was later on repeated for instance in the UK, where numorous boy bands and girl bands were created. Business and (sorry ladies) very much focussed on those young 10 - 15 years young screaming girls. Very artificial, but sometimes nice (hidden pleasures). However, the early British bands came from a natural passion among young people to make music, some (very) talented, some one-day flies. Nothing can beat spontaniety cool smiley
smileys with beer

I don't think they were ever taken that seriously georgie...

"as an attempt of the USA record business to create a band that could cope with the immense success of The Beatles..."

They were simply a manufactured lighthearted bunch of goofballs who had a television show, and when they started I don't think anyone would ever equate them to genuine bands - whether from the UK or USA.
And don't forget, all the bands you mention owe most of the early success of their careers to the blues and rock and roll music that was originally invented in the USA!
Those bands didn't have to hire songwriters in the beginning because they simply copied the American music with the cover versions they played and recorded.
They all worshipped the ground those American bands and artists walked on, and without that source of inspiration none would exist as we know them!smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 21:37 by Hairball.

Date: May 15, 2021 06:19

If you want to hear a great great live album listen to The Mike and Mickey show live. Great live recording great songs and a really kick ass band. I have nothing but respect for Mickey Dolenz and Mike Nesmith

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: May 15, 2021 07:13

A bit of Monkees and Jimi Hendrix trivia:

Jimi opened for them on 11 July, 1967 in Charlotte, NC and 12 July, 1967 in Greensboro, NC.

Date: May 15, 2021 07:34

StonedAsiaExile
A bit of Monkees and Jimi Hendrix trivia:

Jimi opened for them on 11 July, 1967 in Charlotte, NC and 12 July, 1967 in Greensboro, NC.

More than that:

"In one of the strangest pairings in rock and roll history, The Jimi Hendrix Experience was the opening act for several cities during the U.S. summer tour.
Hendrix joined The Monkees as the tour officially commenced on July 8 in Jacksonville, Florida, with Hendrix continuing to appear through dates in Miami, Florida on July 9,
Charlotte, North Carolina on July 11, and Greensboro, North Carolina on July 12. He departed after three shows at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York City on July 14, 15, and 16".

The Monkees/Jimi Hendrix

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 15, 2021 11:15

Hairball
They were simply a manufactured lighthearted bunch of goofballs who had a television show, and when they started I don't think anyone would ever equate them to genuine bands - whether from the UK or USA.
And don't forget, all the bands you mention owe most of the early success of their careers to the blues and rock and roll music that was originally invented in the USA!
Those bands didn't have to hire songwriters in the beginning because they simply copied the American music with the cover versions they played and recorded.
They all worshipped the ground those American bands and artists walked on, and without that source of inspiration none would exist as we know them!winking smiley

I fully agree with you, Hairball!

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 8, 2021 19:38

Micky Dolenz talks Jimi Hendrix, The Fonz, Monkees farewell tour

Nice little Micky Dolenz interview for Monkees fans:

[www.mercurynews.com]

Date: September 8, 2021 19:56

Sighunt
Micky Dolenz talks Jimi Hendrix, The Fonz, Monkees farewell tour

Nice little Micky Dolenz interview for Monkees fans:

[www.mercurynews.com]

How great is Dolenz! One of the greatest voices in Rock and Roll. If you want to see a great concert check out the Mickey and Mike show. The Monkees were four very intelligent people. Check out any interview with Peter Tork.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home