Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: What you SHOULD be listening to
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 22, 2005 06:03

Went down to the local record store (Plan 9 Records, if you’re ever in Richmond, Virginia, USA), broke out the VISA, and bought me some tunes. Had an exceptional harvest, so thought I would share it with the best music fans I know=Stones fans:

Stones – ABB: Well, actually I’ve had this for several weeks, but I must listen to a Stones disc for an extra long time to get a realistic opinion. Great disc (you knew that ). I take back every bad thing I’ve said about Don Was. This is a near-perfect production. Great sound. My distillation disc: RJ-I thought this tune would wear out on me, that it would become a Stones-by-the-number song. No way, this is a near-classic Stones rocker. The Boys bared down to the bare necessities. Excellent. LMDS-Fresh. Nice rocker, good
Stones sound without reminding of something else. YES! ICBL-Good tune. Basic chord pattern, etc., but great Jagger, great execution. YES again. RFD- Nothing special but it grooves, doesn’t bore, kind of a Jagger solo tune, but I can deal. BOMH-Good blues. When it comes on, I always think “oh no going to bore me”, but it never does. Solid tune. SSMC- Also fresh sounding. Jagger, energetic, into it. Keep on rockin boys! BMOML- Another fresh sounding tune to me. My opinion: give up the tours guys, keep recording songs like this. I think they can turn great music like this in their sleep. ONNYA- Flat out rocker. Many say this is a “Jagger” album. Well maybe in the songwriting, but even the best Jagger solo tunes say to me, “you need Keith and Charlie behind you dude”. Just like the Keith solo tunes say “you need a Mick vocal”. It’s the synergy folks. This song, who cares who wrote it, it’s the Stones! DTF- This song grew on me immensely. Again, nothing new, just pure real Stones. The first time my wife heard this disc, she said “that sounds like the Stones”. Normally I don’t put a lot of credence into what Brenda says about music, but in this case I think she said it all. I- Great Keith tune! Listening to the studio version, the harmonica seems to make the tune. Hearing it live, this becomes an absolute truth.

Allright other stuff, this is a great season for rock n roll:

Supergrass-Road to Rouen: What’s up with you UKers? Why aren’t you talking about these guys all the time? F*ck Radiohead, f*ck Oasis, f*ck U2., f*ck Franz. This is definitely the best RnR coming out of the Isles right now. They haven’t made a bad album in 5 trys. The only “new” music I’ve heard in many years that doesn’t copy something “classic”. Nearest comparison I can make is the psychedelic Small Faces, but these guys have clearly their own sound. Rock with a slightly lysergic tint, but never too weird, and always grooving.

Broken Social Scene-Self titled: This Canuck aggregation is making some of the best weird-pop around. Don’t sound like anybody, they make their own music. Their previous album, You See It in People is a near-classic. This disc tops it. If you like challenging, innovative music that fits into no neat categories, check this out.

Big Star-In Space: I’ve always been a big Alex Chilton fan, Big Star classics or his solo stuff. This mixes both. Classic Big Star is the blueprint for great power pop. Solo Chilton is way-basic RnB, 60s super pop. This disc gives you both, expertly performed. Just good music from the guy who gave you “The Letter” and laid the groundwork for Cheap Trick, Badfinger, and the Raspberries. Worth your investment, trust me.

Marcia Ball-Live: If you don’t know this Deep South pianist, here’s your chance! Like Professor Longhair, Dr John, Irma Thomas? This disc is for you. Marcia graced the National Folk Festival, here in lovely Richmond, Virginia. I stood directly in front of her, her electric piano, and her lovely long legs while she played the boogie-woogie like nobody (that I know of) else does today. I couldn’t stop doing the “second-line”. This way-overdue live album is worth buying for “Let Me Play With Your Poodle”, if for nothing else. Buy it now!

Tracy Nelson-Live From Cell Block D: Have you ever heard this woman sing? Don’t wait any longer, life is too short. Taking a cue from Johnny Cash and BB King, Tracy records live in a prison. This woman “belts”. The only live female vocal album better than this is Aretha Franklin, “Amazing Grace” recorded live in LA churches. Trust me, you’ll see the light with this disc. And remember, if you get put in the pokey, don’t drop the soap!

Pet Shop Boys-Back to Mine: The Boys pick their favorite tunes by other artists. Ok, maybe not suitable for Stones fans. Two discs: the first is classic disco/dance tune. The second is an excellent “chill” disc. I listen to everything, and these guys idolize Dusty Springfield (two of her tunes are included in this collection). If you dig Dusty, you can’t be too ridiculous, can you? E-users would probably like this collection.

Old 97s-Live: Great Cow-pop. (You know that genre, don’t you?) If nothing else, this is a good value. Two discs, almost 2 hours of tunes. I saw these guys live once, and they reminded me of “Village” Kinks. Rockin, with a taste of country, these guys have a great sense of “pop” hooks. This collection catches them just doin their thing, 2 guitars, rhythm section and very tuneful songs. If you don’t want to invest in this, try “Fight Songs”. Great music.

Lazy Cowgirls-Rank Outsider: Our most esteemed poster, Leonard Keringer, plays a rocking bass on this one. KICKS ASS Y’ALL, if you will excuse my Southern enthusiasm. Leonard likes the Stooges and George Jones. What else can you say good about somebody? LA punk, with a definite Stones influence. Highly recommended, plus who do you want to give your $$$ to – a stranger, or our dear Leonard? Case closed.

Rod Stewart-Chronicles: Gasoline Alley, Every Picture, and Never a Dull Moment in one set. I don’t really have to tell you folks about these three albums, do I? I paid $29.98 (didn’t have them on CD). Good deal, eh?

Peace,
Karl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home