Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Songs to sell products
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: October 21, 2005 05:57

I know that it is inevitable and that a buck has to be made by someone somehow, but I really hate when a song I really have loved in the past and that I considered a little obscure or hardly even noticed or remembered by the masses, becomes so overplayed on some major corporate commercial on TV. Do artists have input in this or is it the record label or publishing company or a combo of all these things ? I think a song's integrity is compromised once it is used to sell something. They are still great songs, but something just changes because they are so overplayed. Circuit City has really over used the whole "Just What I Needed" Cars song. What they do NEED is a new ad campaign. I have always liked that song and it is still a great song, but it just lost some of its "luster". (The Cars, I have to admit, are one of my guilty pleasures). What other songs can anyone think of that have been overused by coporate America ?

Re: Songs to sell products
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:02

every one they've ever used?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:03

Or how about Cadillac using Led Zepplin's "Rock and Roll. That made me cringe. By the way, the Cars are awesome. A guilty pleasure indeed. I think Elliot Easton is one of the most underrated guitar players ever. That guy can play his ass off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-21 06:04 by Local27.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:09

He is a great guitar player, and, I like The Cars too. In an older thread on here it was stated that Elliot was playing with some incarnation of CCR, if you can believe that. yikes!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2005 20:03

How about "Complicated" by the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 21, 2005 20:20

they should use star star to sell condoms

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 21, 2005 20:32

<What other songs can anyone think of that have been overused by coporate America ?>

Like a Rock by Bob Seger

My wife and I have great fun making up different, naughty, lyrics to that one when it comes on the telly. And when she gets naughty..........

Karl

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 21, 2005 21:50

Start Me Up for Windows 95!

How about the three CSI shows using Who songs. Pete must get a little financial windfall for that!

I really don't like Zeppelin promoting Cadillac's and especially Chevy using Back In Black to promote their Cavaliers! I think this was discussed a couple years ago here when the commercials were out. I recall Angus mentioning that if AC/DC didn't give permission to use the song, Chev would use a tune that sounded similar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home