Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Really Disappointed These Days
Posted by: lydlaws ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:39

I haven't been to this board in a loooong time to post but I've been following this tour since the official anouncement. Being a Torontonian, I stopped by rehearsals a few times as well.
I've been a HUGE fan and have been collecting music and posters since 1978.
At this point I've got to tell you that I'm really REALLY disappointed with the way the Stones are doing business these days.
A rarity package? What the hell is that? There is very little on it that looks even remotely interesting. It's as retread as the current tour.
How many times do I have to pay out to see JJF, Satisfaction and Miss you? Come on!!!!! These guys have a huge catalog of music but tour after tour they just keep playing the same safe setlist with a bone here or there for us diehards.
I think it's fair to say that we've all paid out a ton of money for shows, t-shirts, posters, CD's etc yet we just keep getting the same old same old tour after tour.
I've seen the Stones 18 times and I'm thinking enouph is enouph. From Steel Wheels to the latest shows, it's been a greatest hits package of the some songs over and over. I think the casual fan has had enouph time to see these songs.
What about the rest of us?

Re: Really Disappointed These Days
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:41

these posts are getting so tiresome. u don't like it, don't go.

Date: October 18, 2005 21:43

But that's the thing, you guys are eating it up. Aren't you the least bit bothered by what your seeing for what your paying?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:45

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> these posts are getting so tiresome. u don't like
> it, don't go.

these posts are getting so tiresome. u don't like it, don't post a response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-18 21:45 by T&A.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:46

Why don't you choose from the things you really one. Man it's a quite free world and everybody can offer everything, even if it's annoying sometimes.
The good old days are dead and the Rolling Stones as such never praised such days. They look back as a good memory and see how much cash they can get. If I see my tax bills I just to the same and would do the same if I would be on a higher paybill.
As Frank Zappa said already in 75 We're only in it for the money.... and for the rest you can get stoned

Date: October 18, 2005 21:48

they sound great. did u think u'd ever not see jjf, sftd, satisfaction, htw?
granted i've seen more obscure songs on past tours(moonlight mile, sister morphine, memory motel, sweet virginia), but what other group has been around that long and still brings it every night???

Date: October 18, 2005 21:50

Okay, that's all well and fine so why don't they release Ladies and Gentleman on CD? You don't think that wouldn't be a cash cow? I'd buy it. Wouldn't all of you? You sure would.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:52

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> they sound great. did u think u'd ever not see
> jjf, sftd, satisfaction, htw?
> granted i've seen more obscure songs on past
> tours(moonlight mile, sister morphine, memory
> motel, sweet virginia), but what other group has
> been around that long and still brings it every
> night???

exactly JJ...."i am dissaponted" bla bla bla bla so tired of hearing that crap!!! just got my tixs hotel and everything lined up for Memphis dec 3rd!!

Date: October 18, 2005 21:52

t&a wrote:

>these posts are getting so tiresome. u don't like it, don't post a response.

don't respond to my tiresome responses to tiresome posts then.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:54

what? i'm too tired to know what i'm doing.....all this tiresome business.

Date: October 18, 2005 21:55

Look, all I'm saying is that out of 21 songs on the current list they are playing 17 "warhorses". Come on guys, they can do way better than that.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 18, 2005 21:56

Lydlaws,

Feel your pain...however,

Think about something "Us so called "Die Hard Fans" of the Rolling Stones only turned at to a # of 130,000 units sold in the first week on sale of the new album...die hards buy the day it comes out or within the first two weeks max.

Take the 60 some odd shows they are doing between the U.S. & Canda...divide that into the 130,000 units and you get about 2,150 die hards at every show...now the die hards have to take wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, dates, friends whatever who more than likely didn't purchase those 130,000 units...so start from there and figure out how 18,000 - 60,000 plus people are going to have a good time with songs that they don't really know and we have probably listened to more than the Stones themselves.

How would you like to be the Rolling Stones, playing to 20,000 people, whip out SWAY or WINTER or MOONLIGHT MILE and see 18,000 people say "What is this song?"
That would be demoralizing.

THE SOLUTION...which they should have done and still can do is call certain nights "DEEP CATALOG SHOW"...so they will attract the die hards to particular shows and the casual and rich phony fans can stay home...Say up front...these songs won't be played...if you are looking to hear them...stay home.

It amazes how such a simple concept wasn't thought of...If they did a "Deep Catalog Show" and left out the so called warhorses
"JJF, BS, SMU, IORR, SFTD, GS, HTW, SATISFACTION", "Tumbling Dice"...have they any idea how many Stones fans would actually love the idea...

They should have a DEEP CATALOG SHOW in NYC, TORONTO, LONDON, AMSTERDAM, PHILLY, LA, and wherever else die hards would turn out...now that would be great.

PECMAN

Date: October 18, 2005 21:57

t&a i'm too tired to post a smartass response to ur smartass response. just say i did and lol!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 18, 2005 22:00

I'd like to see more variety in the setlists, but overall I'm happy. The new album is good, the band is playing well for the most part, the guitars are turned up, Chuck is turned down, they aren't playing Streets of Love live, etc., etc.

And although I've done my fair share of bitching about the setlists, I'm really enjoying a big chunk of what they've been playing, including She's So Cold, All Down The Line, Get Off My Cloud and the new stuff - Oh No Not You Again, Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, Rain Fall Down. Just don't get me started on The Worst and Infamy - gag!

Date: October 18, 2005 22:01

is it the STONES problem that ...a well , a they have the best @#$%& songs in the world and um people love to hear them...example Honky Tonk Woman or (sorry) Moonlight mile....That is why we love the stones because of these songs ...remember that!!

Date: October 18, 2005 22:05

PECMAN WROTE:
How would you like to be the Rolling Stones, playing to 20,000 people, whip out SWAY or WINTER or MOONLIGHT MILE and see 18,000 people say "What is this song?"
That would be demoralizing.

I'm not so sure it would be demoralizing. Think about those 18000 fans running to the local record shop the day after looking to buy that song. I think it would be a bit humbling for sure but I also think it's the hole they have put themselves in.

I've been to shows were they've played Rocks Off and the guy beside asked me what record that was on. I almost killed the guy.....:>)

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 18, 2005 22:06

Lydlaws, I am with you. I have been so disappointed. I don't buy this crap that people say here about having to please the casual fan. They still have plenty of songs that they don't touch that everyone would know. Do people think that You Got Me Rocking and Miss You wouyld be missed by anyone if not played.

The Stones are the only band that could play one of their hit songs and have it called a rarity to hear live. What does that tell you. Even if they threw Under My Thumb in the set one night it would be considered a surprise. That right there tells that they are either lazy and want to play the same stuff every night or they just don't care. I am tired of defending my favorite band to friends, colleagues and everyone I run into that brings up the Stones. Like others on this board, never thought I'd say it but I might have seen my last Stones show cause what they are doing is almost a slap in the face to us diehard fans.

Posted by: rocksaurus ()
Date: October 18, 2005 22:11

Pecman, Love the idea of a deep catalog show. Then we would see how many true die hard fans there are that would support this. I know that you could count me in even at the current prices.

Date: October 18, 2005 22:14

of course we would !! better yet do a album cover to cover....then throw in several "war horses" after.....like exile ...then you know ...5-6 others at the end..

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 18, 2005 22:19

Lydlaws. Totally agree. I brought friends to some of the shows this tour and I wish I didn't because they all were asking me if the Stones can play anything else besides the same set of songs tour after tour. Or if they were using crazier stages to hide the fact that they are playing Miss You again. I am not a fan of Paul Mac. but he manages to use a diverse set list even if it stays pretty much the same all tour. Never saw so many people get up and take a piss early in the show like I did in Hartford when they did You Got Me Rocking. It was like a ballgame that was just put out of reach. Besides the new songs, which have been sometimes only three a show, there was not any surpries at the shows I was at, maybe She's So Cold which was proably the high part of the show for me.

Lydlaws I made a similar post as you about a month back...

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-18 22:20 by Hound Dog.

Date: October 18, 2005 22:30

you know it is also about the Vibe and the energy.......the memories of the first time you heard JJ flash....what these powerful songs mean to you...the experinces you had and have with stones as backgound music as you go through this comedy of life.....hanging out with good friends some who are hear and others who are not....dont be so selfesh w/ the music it is what it is !!!! enjoy it ..... it really doe'nt get any better!!!

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: October 18, 2005 23:27

I agree with you lydlas, the only positive is the new album that has a few great tracks. It is however getting tiring to complain to death ears as well. This don't go or don't buy it or eats worms stuff is not fair to fans who are looking for the potential of their favorite band. They will keep the useless cd's and setlists coming till the cows come home.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: October 18, 2005 23:40

Lydlas, I am with you. However, forget any significant change. Stones have turned into a lazy Las Vegas act apparently, although they still rock.

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 18, 2005 23:49

I'm disappointed there are no more torrents from actual shows out since last friday! A couple of them are still missing in my growing collection!
And, just looked to the Boston video again - they rock! they are performing like they didn't since 1994/95 and they have a fantastic album out!
Where are the torrents?
Sorry, would say something to the last posts: Me, I've been talking about that Las Vegas act problem since the "Bridges To Babylon" tour. Now, at ABB, they've managed IMHO to get rid of that feel and I love it!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 18, 2005 23:54

Well ya, when you can play a song in your sleep and not have to challange yourself on any great level, it's easy to look good....

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 19, 2005 00:12

This casual fan thing bugs me. A "casual fan" you bring to the concert with you isn't necessarily a tone-deaf person because he/she isn't familiar with the Rolling Stones catalogue. You might have a person there - whom hasn't bought the CDs at all nor previous concert tix - that's going to be very open to appreciate what the die-hard fans call the gems, esp. if heard in a modern live context.
This should be differenciated from the "casual" fan from the VIP rows who is probably not only unfamiliar with anything else than the warhorses (if at all!) but also likely a little blasé.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 19, 2005 04:05

lydlaws Wrote:

> How many times do I have to pay out to see JJF,
> Satisfaction and Miss you? Come on!!!!! These guys
> have a huge catalog of music but tour after tour
> they just keep playing the same safe setlist with
> a bone here or there for us diehards.
> I think it's fair to say that we've all paid out a
> ton of money for shows, t-shirts, posters, CD's
> etc yet we just keep getting the same old same old
> tour after tour.
> I've seen the Stones 18 times and I'm thinking
> enouph is enouph. From Steel Wheels to the latest
> shows, it's been a greatest hits package of the
> some songs over and over. I think the casual fan
> has had enouph time to see these songs.
> What about the rest of us?
I think youre the casual fan LOL,
this tour rocks

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 19, 2005 04:10

If you read the reviews then you will see that most fans are happy with the shows and the tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rayone ()
Date: October 19, 2005 04:21

I can see both sides of this. I have never seen the Stones live so I would die to hear any songs done. But for those who see many concerts I can understand it can feel like a dissapointment.

Lets be glad they are still out shaking their butts and playing music but also lets hope they can do a few shows and vary the setlists for the diehards.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 19, 2005 05:04

"These guys have a huge catalog of music but tour after tour they just keep playing the same safe setlist with a bone here or there for us diehards."

lydlaws, you say you are a fan since 1978. So, i ask you: What setlists were more safe? In other words, when the Stones were playing more different songs during a tour? In 1978, in 1981/82, or on this tour?

Do you want a much bigger number of songs from the new album? OK, but think that in 1973 the Stones were playing, every night, 5 songs from GHS album. In 1975 they were playing 6 songs from IORR. In 1976 they were performing 4 songs from B&B, in 1978 six songs from SM and in 1981/82 seven songs (out of 24) from TY. Actualy, only the 1972 tour had "new album list": nine songs (out of 17 or 18 from EOMS. So, why are you "really disappointed these days" and not "always"?

Do you want more variety on the playlists? More than ...when? After some shows on this tour the Stones have already performed 41 different songs. Do you know how many different songs they performed during the whole 1981/82 tour? Only 33! During 1989/90 tour, only 37. Tour after tour they play more different songs. So, why are you "really disappointed these days" and not "always"?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home