Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

World Premiere of new Stones video set
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 13, 2005 17:48

From the Associated Press:

'Days of Our Lives' to show Stones video

NEW YORK (AP) -- The soap opera "Days of Our Lives" will celebrate its 40th anniversary by airing the world premiere of the Rolling Stones video "Streets of Love."

"I can't imagine a more exciting way to celebrate the 40th landmark year of 'Days of Our Lives' than with the Rolling Stones," Sheraton Kalouria, senior vice president, NBC Daytime Programs, said in a statement.

The "Streets of Love" video will air Tuesday. "Days of Our Lives" will use the song as a soundtrack to some scenes for the next four weeks.

"Days of Our Lives" premiered on Nov. 8, 1965. The Rolling Stones, who have been touring for 40 years, have a new album, "A Bigger Bang."

"With 'Days of Our Lives' also celebrating its 40th anniversary ... the show was the perfect vehicle for promoting the Rolling Stones and their latest single," said Randy Miller, Virgin Records' executive vice president, marketing.

I don't know whether to be happy that the Stones will do anything for publicity, or be sickened by it. A soap opera, is this necessary? I guess it would be fine if it were any other song but the horrible Streets of Puke, the only song on the new album I can't stand (overally, I love A Bigger Bang).

Also, it would be nice if the first video came out BEFORE the album, which might have boosted their first week sales. What marketing genius came up with the timing for that one? Or was it just that recording the album went that close to the wire and there was no time?

Re: World Premiere of new Stones video set
Date: October 13, 2005 17:59

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the Associated Press:
>
> 'Days of Our Lives' to show Stones video
>
> ........"I can't imagine a more exciting way to celebrate
> the 40th landmark year of 'Days of Our Lives' than
> with the Rolling Stones," Sheraton Kalouria,
> senior vice president, NBC Daytime Programs, said
> in a statement...................

If you're THAT excited about it, scrap the video idea and invite the Stones to appear in person.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:01

I agree about the video pre-release, etc, but the 2 song single WAS available pre-ABB & NO ONE played it then or now. This, as well as NFL, the DVD, etc are to keep sales if not up, from falling too precipitously...So, distasteful as it seems (or wicked...) they DO need this kind of exposure, as radio listeners & casual fans wouldnt even know the RS have a new album out. Maybe they should go on Oprah - guest shots REALLY spike sales...Charlie & Ron could weep on air about their health trials & tribulations, people eat that sh&t up. A shameless family therapist could come on & reconcile all KR/MJ's differences, Ron's feelings of marginalization, & Bill or Mick T could come out as a surprise & express their 'true feelings' as well...
PS B2B went platinum after 5 weeks too (shipments), after considerably less than 500,000 - but it did go on to sell 1.2 or 1.3 million here.
Bill on Opra: "Keith, er, all those years when you were strung out, and you shut me out...[Mick T nods in agreement] Well that really hurt, you know..."
Finally Oprah & Mick T chat about the pros & cons of various diets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-13 18:05 by john r.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:04

How could it be a "world premiere" when VH1 Classics in the UK showed the bloody thing about 3 weeks ago immediately after their "Bigger Bang" documentary special? Or is this 'another' promo?

the whole idea of the Stones stooping to the level of a tie-in with some silly daytime soap opera is repulsive. How can "the greatest rock n roll band in the world" (TM) be this desperate for publicity?

No doubt there'll be a few who'll think this is a splendid and cool idea!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:04

Didn't they show the video during one of the footballs games at half time. I remember seeing more than half of it and we surprised when it came on. Its just them playing on a street somewhere.

Date: October 13, 2005 18:06

must be a different video, then

The one I saw was the band lip synching to the song on a studio soundstage

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:08

It faded out after they showed Keith doing the guitar solo they didn't showed the whole thing.

Date: October 13, 2005 18:08

I thought RJ live (& SMU?) was shown on the NFL game (didnt see it myself)

Date: October 13, 2005 18:11

they were indeed, John. It was shown over here too. With the appropriate edits from US TV in case civilization would end because Mick Jagger said the word "cum" on a 24 year old song that everyone knows and which gets played at sports games all over the world...

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:39

They talked about this yesterday on CNN and showed the boys on stage playing Rough Justice.

Date: October 13, 2005 18:42

Did 'cock' slip through?
And what was the CNN show/topic, & how did the RS come up (sorry - "enter" the conversation?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home