Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keyboards
Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:29

In attending Chicago 2, and in seeing the videos, I see Chuck and Matt each playing keyboards on most songs. Some of the time, in person and in the videos, I can hear two different keyboards. But sometimes I can only hear 1 keyboard part, even though they both appear to be playing.

Does anyone know of this is:
- an inadvertent mixing problem,
- because they’re playing identical parts,
- a deliberate low volume for one,
- the use of one keyboard to double a guitar or other part to make sure it’s being played,
- my hearing, or
- something else?

Thanks.

Re: Keyboards
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:32

Probably all of the abovewinking smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:35

- the use of one keyboard to double a guitar or other part to make sure it’s being played,

Otherwise it would be a simple classic piano (Stu, Nicky)...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 17:41 by powerage78.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:47

Matt does often contribute some sound effects. For example the clapping sound on Start Me Up, the choir on YCAGWYW, the sitar on SFM. He does not play any guitar part except for some kind of acoustic guitar on Satifaction. He did that in Hamburg 2017 the first time. Also he supports the Brass sections on songs like All down the line or Rocks Off. The synthetic Brass mixed with Karl and Tim gives a sound that is bigger than just two saxophones. I think his parts are mostly unneccesary, but they give him something to do besides announcing them and Mick has his best friend on tour. And if he's good for Mick I don't care if he's jumping behind the keyboard

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:54

There is a misconception with live music, which is if someone is on stage playing you will automatically hear it.

While that's true with some songs, some songs will be mixed as if it was a record, and the unnecessary instrumentation (I'm guessing Matt Clifford in this case) will not be heard out front.

It happens with Mick playing the guitar even - he'll be in the start of a song, like Sad Sad Sad, or whatever he does in Miss You or whatever, but, most likely at some point, he's turned down so you can't hear him because it's unnecessary.

It happens with a lot of bands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home