Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Just listened to Shattered from "Garden State '78".
Posted by: toko ()
Date: October 12, 2005 02:40

About the bashing Ronnie's taken for flubbing the solo in
Shattered lately--I offer you Exhibit A that he only played it right
once, sometime in 1981. The '78 show was just posted in alt.binaries.
sounds.mp3.m

This was when he was supposedly in his prime axe-slinging days.
Yikes.

Re: Just listened to Shattered from "Garden State '78".
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 02:47

maybe he was sloppy in '78...but i love the raw, sloppy, punk inspired '78 tour....GREAAAAAAAYYYYYYTTTTTTT!!!!!! Garden State '78 aka "Out on Bail" is an awesome souvenir from that tour...one of the first vinyl bootlegs i ever purchased

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-12 02:53 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: artur34 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 03:30

maybe i am wrong but why this 78' tour is so great? i don't get that..
i only have the handsome girls box set boot from this tour and honestly i think why is so special among the fans this one . apart from keith,s brilliance playing great druming ,bass by charlie and bill mick's vocals sucked during most of the songs
maybe it was different for the people watching them playing at these shows but listen to the boots is another story. even some shows from australian tour on 73'are a mess

Date: October 12, 2005 03:32

Energy, Attitude, Great Songs, A Spontaneous looseness on stage, i love micks raw & ragged vocals....if ya want perfection, try Classical....1973 sloppy is better than any other band in history...pure sonic genius...raw & ragged, signatures of the stones brilliance...comprende?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-12 03:34 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: October 12, 2005 03:47

Listening to the ft. worth show from 1978 -- to me, that is the height of the stones live show as a musical event and the last time that actual "weaving" among the keef and woodie was the norm.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 03:50

Beast of Burden and Shattered from those shows are impossible to top. The guitar sound on Shattered is so strong. The playing on BOB is incredible. Are there other tour boots that sound this good. These boots sound superior to the official live releases.......how can this be?

Date: October 12, 2005 03:52

Shawn20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beast of Burden and Shattered from those shows are
> impossible to top. The guitar sound on Shattered
> is so strong. The playing on BOB is incredible.
> Are there other tour boots that sound this good.
> These boots sound superior to the official live
> releases.......how can this be?

i'm not sure if this is true...but i read that mick helped to mix the king bisquit flower hour recordings (handsome girls)...if you've got "out on bail" and "handsome girls" you've got the cream of the crop (especially "handsome girls")

Date: October 12, 2005 03:56

I have four unmarked CDs.......I have no idea which is which. But those boots from the 78 tour are powerful. The CDs are the from the Gorgous Girls list.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: October 12, 2005 03:57

I don't think mick helped mix any of the ft. worth show as he is obviously drunk.

but also gives a great performance.

"Is there a balcony up there?"

Date: October 12, 2005 03:58

Shawn20 Wrote:
> I have four unmarked CDs.......I have no idea
> which is which. But those boots from the 78 tour
> are powerful. The CDs are the from the Gorgous
> Girls list.

they might be the "handsome girls" re-issues...i remember taping them off the radio in '78...do they list the cities?

Date: October 12, 2005 03:59

Which show is it that Jagger screams, "it's so *&^%$ dark on this stage......more light! That's my all time favorite Shattered and Beast.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 12, 2005 04:05

shawn 20 ,,steel wheels 90 = ex. sound

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 04:09

I WORSHIP the '78 tour. Simply the rawest, purest, tightest AND sloppiest rock n roll I've ever heard, all rolled into one. Incredible.

If you really wanna hear what this band was truly all about, just turn off the lights, get comfortable and put on Far Away Eyes from Fort Worth. This single tune was the greatest rock n roll band of all time at its finest, imo.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Date: October 12, 2005 04:09

Shawn 20, that was the Memphis show in '78.

Date: October 12, 2005 04:10

No, they are simply CDRs someone burned for me, but I'm telling you. I've seen the Stones 17 times but I also go back to that 78 guitar sound. I know everyone has their favorite, but for me the kick of the guitars on that tour was great.

Date: October 12, 2005 04:12

Bluespeyer Wrote:

>
> If you really wanna hear what this band was truly
> all about, just turn off the lights, get
> comfortable and put on Far Away Eyes from Fort
> Worth. This single tune was the greatest rock n
> roll band of all time at its finest, imo.
>
>
>
> -
just for that sentiment Bluespeyer...i'll run 20 red lights in yur honour...best wishes

Date: October 12, 2005 04:21

Finally, a thread that feeds my soul! We should all get together somewhere someday and watch the 78 Fort Worth show. I have the DVD.

Posted by: lonecrapshooter ()
Date: October 12, 2005 05:20

remember Mick said: "I'm afraid if the band's lacking slightly in energy it's 'cuz we spent all last night @#$%&'."?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 12, 2005 06:34

I agree with the original poster that the solo on "Shattered" tends to be a big buzzkill on '78 shows. Same with "Whip Comes Down." They get a good groove going and then tank the change to the bridge.

Still I agree that this tour is a lot of fun, much better than what I've heard from '81-82, where the mistakes overwhelm. "Let It Rock," "Just My Imagination," and "BoB" are career highlights. A big part of it is Stu and Ian MacLagen, I think. Compare to Chuck and Matt Clifford... 'nuff said.

cc

Date: October 12, 2005 06:38

I recall the terrible reviews from the 78 tour and the wonderful reviews for the 81 tour. I know that Beast of Burden will be on the new rarities album and it is speculated that BOB will be from the 81 tour. There is just no comparison....in my opinion. Ernie Watts saxaphone dominates the song and the guitars sound fuzzy and muffled, especially compared to 78. There is a clarity to the guitar sound of the 78 boots that I really love.

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 12, 2005 06:43

I have the memphis show and its a great one! Good loud guitars and they actually did some ballzy jams back them on miss you-

Talkin bout the....

Date: October 12, 2005 06:48

That would be a shame if they went back for an '81 version of "Beast of Burden" for the Rarities disc, and not go all the way to '78. The versions of that song on Handsome Girls are just fantastic... career highlights, really. I'd put one on a single-disc stones anthology.

Date: October 12, 2005 06:53

The 81 tour was well documented with the Hal Ashby movie that was riddled with terrible sound. The 78 tour seems forgotten except by the 78 philes on this and other Stones boards. Even the Stones seem embarrassed by the 78 tour. I've hear they had some poor shows, but New Orleans rocked. Sorry about that Philly and Cleveland.

Date: October 12, 2005 07:07

I actually have Cleveland '78... don't recall it being a poor show but I also haven't listened to it probably since I got it. I'll give it another spin.

Date: October 12, 2005 07:11

I wasn't there, but Cleveland 78 is supposed to be one of the worst shows by any band, let alone the Rolling Stones. Once again, I wasn't there, but that is the reputation.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 12, 2005 09:36

The one thing I always notice is that for anyone who was there, and for anyone who listens to the 78 shows with the rock'n roll spirit, the 78 tour always dredges up a good feeling. There was somethign just allround fun and positive about that tour. Even though the Keith/Prison spectre hung over it it had such a rebel spirit about it. But a goodtiming spirit. The way Jagger yelled "Rebel Yell Sour Mash..." on stage.
And you only have to spot Mac and Stu on the side instead of the Beard of Leavell to get you on the goodfoot.

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:57

Cleveland in 1978 was the worst of all time...but I went to MSG for U2 on Friday nite, and they might have been even more putrid!!!The Stones at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic in 1978 was the greatest of all time, although no boots bring this out, I guess you had to have been there.

Date: October 12, 2005 14:00

What was the problem with U2?

Date: October 12, 2005 18:04

Shawn20 Wrote:
> What was the problem with U2?

thats a "loaded" question

Date: October 12, 2005 18:21

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> The one thing I always notice is that for anyone
> who was there, and for anyone who listens to the
> 78 shows with the rock'n roll spirit, the 78 tour
> always dredges up a good feeling. There was
> somethign just allround fun and positive about
> that tour. Even though the Keith/Prison spectre
> hung over it it had such a rebel spirit about it.
> But a goodtiming spirit. The way Jagger yelled
> "Rebel Yell Sour Mash..." on stage.
> And you only have to spot Mac and Stu on the side
> instead of the Beard of Leavell to get you on the
> goodfoot.

nice post ChelseaDrugstore....the spirit of '78 tour was definetly in the air at the time...they were flying "high" with the success of "some girls" and need to show Mr.Johnny Rotten & Co. who was still in charge...they were threatened and rose to the occasion...and Mac & Stu cannot be topped by these hired hands of today....Jagger was all "punked" out and revved up in '78 and it shows (he even wore a johnny rotten "destroy" shirt)nice raw & ballsy guitar tones in '78 (for my taste, these tones havent been matched since)woods & richards "barbed-wire" guitar exchanges were GREAT!!! and Jagger on stage was spontaneous....the boys let it fly....thats when theyre at their best

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home