Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T Peter Tork RIP
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 23, 2019 09:23

tomk
Aquamarine
I loved the Monkees, and saw them live in London at the Empire Pool in 1967 (possibly 1968)--it was a terrific show, and by that time they could all definitely play their instruments and then some. RIP Peter.

Wow, you saw one of those gigs? Early July 1967. 4 or 5 gigs, I think. Lulu was the opening act, and it was promoted by Brian Epstein and NEMS. Got good reviews, too.

That's right (I looked it up!), July 1967. (Also discovered their first three albums all came out that year.) I must admit to having no memory of Lulu's performance, but the Monkees were really solid, exceeded all expectations.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2019 11:42

Davy was the reason Bowie changed his name …
Michael was floating on a sea of liquid-paper ….
Mickey well all I could see was Circus Boy Corky..
But Peter ... now he was the funny one of the gang ….. RIP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 23, 2019 16:24

Monkees screen tests ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 23, 2019 19:16

tomk
jlowe
Had forgotten Stephen Stills was in the frame to be a member of The Monkees.
Appears his thinning hair and teeth let him down!
How shallow.

No one knows how far Stills got in the audition process. I don't think he did a screen test. Stills says he really wanted to write songs for the show, but when he found out they had Boyce, Hart, Carole King and those folks, he backed out and recommended Tork. And one of the producers (Bert Schneider maybe) said Stills didn't have the loony improvisation they were looking for.

However, Jerry Yester (Modern Folk Quartet, Lovin' Spoonful) says he was chosen but passed for some reason, so they took Peter instead. I'm not sure if that's true, but he said he had a three hour meeting with Bert Schneider and passed on it. Odd, too, that future Monkees producer Chip Douglas was a MFQ member.

Also interesting is that Stills' song Sit Down (I Think I Love You) has a Screen Gems copyright.

TY! great info.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 23, 2019 21:15

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 21:17 by marianna.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home