Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gene Simmons says why Mick and Bono are like little girls
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2018 16:23

I'm sure that's right . There have been quite few snippets over the years indicating that Mick & Bono have a friendship based on the shared craft of "putting on a show" .

It's also right, as mentioned before, that U2 will always have the advantage of the later and growing numbers ...

...but they will never match the Stones' aura.

It's a weird thing, but one friend of mine, [not then a fan]who I dragged almost reluctantly to a Stones show remarked afterwards that he couldn't get his head around the feeling... but it was almost like being in the presence of Gods.

As for Gene Simmons... Gobshite .

[Nothing against Kiss. You could have a good time at one of their shows..no doubt about it grinning smiley ]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-31 17:15 by Spud.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 19:40

Yeah Stud,
I tell my own surprise. I took a U2 fan to both the Shine A Light and U2/3D IMAX movies in Sydney some 10 years ago. For both of us it was a first time.
We first saw SAL and a week or so later U2/3D. After that we went for a beer and suddenly, while we were talking about something else, he said: what a difference. the Stones were really enjoying themselves, where U2 were so serious. It was like "they had a job to do". Is that the difference between "we've seen it all, we've done it all, what the hack, let's have fun" and "we have to make sure we deliver"?
I hope you can imagine my surprise to hear this from a true U2 fan. Both movies were very different and I surely also enjoyed the 3D U2 concert. Even more so because before that I had seen U2 live in the Amsterdam Arena and only when they played slow songs one could recognize them. The "power songs" were just a big load of noise (don't blame U2, it was the stadium). So the movie allowed me to enjoy all there live songs. Great band, but the Stones came down to us from a magic place in the Universe cool smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2018 19:57

georgie48
GasLightStreet
buttons67
i think bono always sees the stones as a competition, and maybe thats why the stones have continued for as long, but based on stats u2 will always prevail because they overlap by about 16 years, thats 16 years u2 can play more stadiums, charge higher prices due to inflation and get more hits on social media, spotify,downloads etc which counts as a unit of sales.

so it will always appear that u2 have done more, done it bigger, made more etc and people will think they are the better band.

what u2 have skillfully done too is their historical setlist. over 900 songs played live, but over 400 are just snippets. even tells you on u2,s official site, individual concerts, or individual songs and whats been snippeted, it actually uses the word snippeted, and they have done it a lot. if u2 only set out to beat the stones regarding stats it wont work, u2 lost their soul in the joshua tree concert gigs, completely missing out so many songs that made them the band they were, and inserting 7 joshua tree songs and 4 snippeted songs to total 20. snippeted songs lasts for seconds, and the first 4 albums were only represented by 5 songs during the joshua tree concerts in 1987. i saw them in glasgow then, felt the setlist was all wrong and quickly got out of u2 as quickly as i got into the stones. thier total repertoire of songs played live by snippeting half the total lost them my respect.

to me the stones will always be better,and i feel bono cant handle that. i love u2 early days, they left behind everything that was good about them too quickly. theres just no competition.

U2 have never claimed to be bigger than the Stones. What U2 did was DESTROY the Stones' biggest tour record ever with one tour, financially by show 74 and attendance wise by show 76 or something like that. That just shows that demand to see U2 was greater than it was for the Stones at that time and that U2 were smart about handling it.

That's just fact. That doesn't make them "better", just that they did something bigger sooner once and it was a huge accomplishment. Your opinion of U2 has zero relevance with that. Your opinion that Bono "can't handle that" about what all you jibber on about is absurd. It's not competition. The venues are happy to have them whenever they come around, just like any good/great attendance demanding band/act.

It's not 1965. Some people grow up about music, others stay stuck in some teenage wasteland. Enjoy it.

Hi Max, I am sure you do know that it was Mick Jagger who adviced Bono (U2) to take advantage of the fast experience of the Stones in terms of how to approach concerts and on how to deal with the fast amounts of money generated from those concerts (and other stuff like mergandise). U2 had similar problems with the Irish tax people and Beatles, Stones, etc. had with the British. So U2 was housed in the Stones office in Amsterdam to LEARN and grow bigger. Any decent father would be proud to see his son do better than he did. No silly "they destroyed" or "they attrack more" or anything. U2 is greatful to the Stones for their help!

Mick saw U2 during their ZOO TV stadium tour in 1992 to see what was going on and that's where he got the idea for the B-stage, since U2 used it for their stadium shows for 1992-93.

U2 have a ton of respect for the Stones. It's funny how some people are so adamantly rah-rah of the Stones and think U2 is, it's not much different than the stupid idiotic San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders fans: stupid stupid stupid. The football teams don't care. The Stones and U2 don't care that there are fans that are MY DAD WILL BEAT UP YOUR DAD idiotic. It's not a competition, it's just admiration.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 21:48

GasLightStreet
georgie48
GasLightStreet
buttons67
i think bono always sees the stones as a competition, and maybe thats why the stones have continued for as long, but based on stats u2 will always prevail because they overlap by about 16 years, thats 16 years u2 can play more stadiums, charge higher prices due to inflation and get more hits on social media, spotify,downloads etc which counts as a unit of sales.

so it will always appear that u2 have done more, done it bigger, made more etc and people will think they are the better band.

what u2 have skillfully done too is their historical setlist. over 900 songs played live, but over 400 are just snippets. even tells you on u2,s official site, individual concerts, or individual songs and whats been snippeted, it actually uses the word snippeted, and they have done it a lot. if u2 only set out to beat the stones regarding stats it wont work, u2 lost their soul in the joshua tree concert gigs, completely missing out so many songs that made them the band they were, and inserting 7 joshua tree songs and 4 snippeted songs to total 20. snippeted songs lasts for seconds, and the first 4 albums were only represented by 5 songs during the joshua tree concerts in 1987. i saw them in glasgow then, felt the setlist was all wrong and quickly got out of u2 as quickly as i got into the stones. thier total repertoire of songs played live by snippeting half the total lost them my respect.

to me the stones will always be better,and i feel bono cant handle that. i love u2 early days, they left behind everything that was good about them too quickly. theres just no competition.

U2 have never claimed to be bigger than the Stones. What U2 did was DESTROY the Stones' biggest tour record ever with one tour, financially by show 74 and attendance wise by show 76 or something like that. That just shows that demand to see U2 was greater than it was for the Stones at that time and that U2 were smart about handling it.

That's just fact. That doesn't make them "better", just that they did something bigger sooner once and it was a huge accomplishment. Your opinion of U2 has zero relevance with that. Your opinion that Bono "can't handle that" about what all you jibber on about is absurd. It's not competition. The venues are happy to have them whenever they come around, just like any good/great attendance demanding band/act.

It's not 1965. Some people grow up about music, others stay stuck in some teenage wasteland. Enjoy it.

Hi Max, I am sure you do know that it was Mick Jagger who adviced Bono (U2) to take advantage of the fast experience of the Stones in terms of how to approach concerts and on how to deal with the fast amounts of money generated from those concerts (and other stuff like mergandise). U2 had similar problems with the Irish tax people and Beatles, Stones, etc. had with the British. So U2 was housed in the Stones office in Amsterdam to LEARN and grow bigger. Any decent father would be proud to see his son do better than he did. No silly "they destroyed" or "they attrack more" or anything. U2 is greatful to the Stones for their help!

Mick saw U2 during their ZOO TV stadium tour in 1992 to see what was going on and that's where he got the idea for the B-stage, since U2 used it for their stadium shows for 1992-93.

U2 have a ton of respect for the Stones. It's funny how some people are so adamantly rah-rah of the Stones and think U2 is, it's not much different than the stupid idiotic San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders fans: stupid stupid stupid. The football teams don't care. The Stones and U2 don't care that there are fans that are MY DAD WILL BEAT UP YOUR DAD idiotic. It's not a competition, it's just admiration.

thumbs upcool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home