Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do the Stones still matter? - Yes
Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: October 4, 2005 14:29

Re: Do the Stones still matter? - Yes
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 4, 2005 15:10

I do find these sorts of articles slightly bizarre, if only for the fact that they generally overlook the fact that possibly the Stones might "not matter" to a bunch of bloody journalists here and there across the globe, but they sure as hell matter to their army of fans - and THEY at the end of the day are the only people that really count. They are the ones that account for the Stones still being out there, still penning new material, still performing it, and still obviously revelling in so doing. Good article though, thanks for the link.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 4, 2005 15:16

there was also a 'counter-argument' to that article in the same newspaper...

[www.newsobserver.com]

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 20:54

i'll answer this question with another question: Do food, water & oxygen still matter?.....best wishes

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 5, 2005 00:29

does wanda jackson still fuc?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 5, 2005 02:22

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there was also a 'counter-argument' to that
> article in the same newspaper...
>
>

Hardly a counter argument. The author attempt the point:

Sadly, the Stones suddenly sounded as stuck in the past as the Motown oldies on the rest of the soundtrack (Speaking of The Big Chill soundtrack).

Yet, the author fails to mention that The Big Chill soundtrack was the best selling soundtrack of that year. It's hard (silly, really) to make the claim that something's stuck in the past when it's outselling everything that's "stuck" in the present.

Further, the following year saw the resurgence of Motown in the Fine Young Cannibals album, another "stuck in the past" sound that killed on the charts, and we can't forget that about ten years after the Stones were stuck in the past they went on to establish the world record for revenue by a band in a single year.

Gazza, I know you're not defending the article, just pointing out its existence, but by my standards it barely even exists.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2200
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home