Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 28
Chicago IL USA 2019 - Travel and show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 21, 2018 11:18

Please post all your comments, questions and info regarding the following Rolling Stones No Filter US Tour 2019 show and travel here:

Chicago

For things to do in Chicago, please see this thread, especially on this page and the next ones:

[iorr.org]

Events:

The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibition : Chicago exhibition opening June 5

Bjornulf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 16:16 by bv.

Re: Chicago IL USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 21, 2018 13:11

I'll be there

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 21, 2018 14:14

I'll be there for (hopefully) both shows.
Does anyone know if its easy to walk back to the city center after the show? The distance seems to be OK, but the roads leading to and from the stadium seems to be a bit difficult for pedestrians.

Date: November 21, 2018 14:32

It is extremely easy to walk back to the center of the city.... There are pedestrian walkways....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 14:33 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 21, 2018 14:46

You can either walk downtown, or to the Roosevelt subway stop.

Date: November 21, 2018 16:22

Ok, thanks for your help!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:25

I will also be there. Will probably only get tickets for the first night since the second night isn't a guarantee. My last show was Indy '15. Can't wait!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 21, 2018 17:28

I can't help but think how awesome it is that they are ending the tour in Chicago. A tour that, should it turn out to be their last big national tour (before they change over to multi-week residencies in a given city or something along those lines) would end just blocks away from 2120 S. Michigan Ave and the former location of Chess Studios....where their love affair with America arguably began. I remember driving over to 2120 S. Michigan with my Dad prior to one of the '99 shows at the United Center to check out what is now there...the Willie Dixon Blues Heaven Foundation, the same foundation that benefits from the sales of the new blues compilation curated by the Stones, "Confessin' The Blues". When we got there, it was unfortunately just closing for the night, and a woman was locking the door. Upon seeing us, she was gracious enough to let us in and look around the lobby for a minute. That woman turned out to be Willie Dixon's daughter, who ran the foundation for years and has since passed away. God bless her and the whole Dixon family.

Here I stand before you, with my heart in my hand.

I love the blues, I love Chicago and I love the Rolling Stones. Can't wait for June. Happy Thanksgiving, iorr!

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: November 21, 2018 17:29

Maybe dumb question but anyone know if stage will be on North end or south end of field?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 21, 2018 17:47

mitchrambler
Maybe dumb question but anyone know if stage will be on North end or south end of field?

I'm going to say south end because there appears to be a lot more seats at the north end.

Date: November 21, 2018 18:05

My guess is also South end for the same reason.

Floodonthepage-I had a similar experience at Sun Studios in Memphis about 10 years ago. I got there when they were closing and ended up getting a personal tour of the studio. Great experience.

Date: November 21, 2018 18:05

mitchrambler

The two times I've seen them there ('97 and '06) stage was North end.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: November 21, 2018 19:01

the stage will be on the North side of the stadium, it has for every show. A tip for out of towners, grab drinks/food in the south loop, around the Scout Waterhouse bar area and walk to the stadium over the 18th street bridge, not as crowded and a shorter walk back to state street and michigan ave. it will be a blast will all the stones fans walking back into the city after the shows, bars are open til 2am and some bars even 4am, rock and roll. i may be having a stones gathering between the shows at a local bar in lakeview, with a band, will advise more at a later date, cheers

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: November 21, 2018 19:31

The downtown area of Chicago is separated from Lake Michigan by a large park known as Grant Park. Similar to Central Park in New York annd Hyde Park in London, it's a large city recreational area comprised of playing fields for baseball and soccer, picnic areas, gardens, monuments and cultural facilities. The park is 1.3 square kilometers in size and is divided by streets.

On the north end of the park is a large underground parking facility, not convenient to Soldier Field. Also on the north end-the Art Institute of Chicago, Buckingham Fountain, a free outdoor concert facility called the Pritzker Pavilion and a food court. The central downtown area is on this end of the park.

At the south end is Soldier Field, the Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquarium.

On a nice summer day it is an invigorating walk from the south end to the main downtown area, which is closer to the north end. Forget about walking if it is rainy or cold...take public transportation instead.

Date: November 21, 2018 20:07

1985jayer
the stage will be on the North side of the stadium, it has for every show. A tip for out of towners, grab drinks/food in the south loop, around the Scout Waterhouse bar area and walk to the stadium over the 18th street bridge, not as crowded and a shorter walk back to state street and michigan ave. it will be a blast will all the stones fans walking back into the city after the shows, bars are open til 2am and some bars even 4am, rock and roll. i may be having a stones gathering between the shows at a local bar in lakeview, with a band, will advise more at a later date, cheers
I'm staying at the Marriott Marquis on prarie street I believe?..check in at 3pm on 21st!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 00:41 by mitchrambler.

Date: November 21, 2018 20:19

floodonthepage
mitchrambler

..I appreciate it,that gives me an idea what kind of tickets to purchase..was that the last time they played soldier field 06? I watched the 97 show on you tube at soldier field,and next show was my first stones concert ever at OSU stadium..haven't missed a show in Ohio since..traveled to New Jersey on 50th tour thinking it would be last time ever!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 21, 2018 20:36

thkbeercan
The downtown area of Chicago is separated from Lake Michigan by a large park known as Grant Park. Similar to Central Park in New York annd Hyde Park in London, it's a large city recreational area comprised of playing fields for baseball and soccer, picnic areas, gardens, monuments and cultural facilities. The park is 1.3 square kilometers in size and is divided by streets.

On the north end of the park is a large underground parking facility, not convenient to Soldier Field. Also on the north end-the Art Institute of Chicago, Buckingham Fountain, a free outdoor concert facility called the Pritzker Pavilion and a food court. The central downtown area is on this end of the park.

At the south end is Soldier Field, the Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquarium.

On a nice summer day it is an invigorating walk from the south end to the main downtown area, which is closer to the north end. Forget about walking if it is rainy or cold...take public transportation instead.

By 'downtown' are you including the "magnificent mile' area? Or is that too far removed?

And I must ask about safety as I might have my teenage son, is the walk safe at night? I know there can be no guarantees but generally speaking.

Date: November 21, 2018 20:56

Would love for Solider '97 to get a Vault release but probably never will since they only played 2 songs from BTB since the album wasn't released yet at the time of the shows. Great unique setlist though.

Date: November 21, 2018 21:29

mitchrambler
floodonthepage
mitchrambler

..I appreciate it,that gives me an idea what kind of tickets to purchase..was that the last time they played soldier field 06? I watched the 97 show on you tube at soldier field,and next show was my first stones concert ever at OSU stadium..haven't missed a show in Ohio since..traveled to New Jersey on 50th tour thinking it would be last time ever!

Yep, the '06 show was last show they played at Soldier Field. Since then it's been the 3 shows at the United Center in '13.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 21:30 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: olympia2003 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 21:30

The Intel BBQ 2019 is relocated from Copenhagen to Chicago, so we all will be there in Windy City to see THE STONES

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 22, 2018 13:51

A local radio station seems to have a presale for Chicago. Unfortunately this link is not accessible outside USA.

[wxrt.radio.com]

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: November 22, 2018 14:24

Chicago is a great city but has areas that must be avoided for safety. Stay out of the west and south sides. Anything west of the highway (90/94) or south of Roosevelt is poverty and gang stricken. Anything near Michigan Ave is great. The Loop tends to be business like and empty’s out after hours. The Magnificent Mile, Gold Coast, Streeterville and near north all are safe and have good entertainment/resturant options.

The Soldierfield walking entrances are at 18th (ok with a show crowd) and at Roosevelt. Do not walk to 2120 S Michigan or anywhere south of Roosevelt.

B.L.U.E.S and Kingston Mines, both on the same block of 2500 N Halstead are great old time blues bars with nightly live music. I’m at these often and this is where you will find music of the Stone’s roots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 14:36 by 2120Joe.

Date: November 22, 2018 15:50

Thanks for your information 2120Joe.
Do you reckon Grant Park is safe to walk thru after the show?

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: November 22, 2018 16:22

Yes, walking through Grant Park is safe, maybe avoid if late and no other people are around but definitely fine with the show crowd. Leaving Soldiers Field to the north and walking through 5he park to Michigan Ave where a cab can be found is my usual route. This also puts you near Buddy Guy's Legends which might be a good after show stop if walking.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 22, 2018 19:25

thkbeercan

Beer can- is this where Taste of Chicago is held and will be going on at that time? Grant Park.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 19:32 by timbernardis.

Date: November 22, 2018 19:38

TumblinDice76
Would love for Solider '97 to get a Vault release but probably never will since they only played 2 songs from BTB since the album wasn't released yet at the time of the shows. Great unique setlist though.

It was broadcast on VH1 if memory serves and I still have the VHS from that opening night.

plexi

Date: November 22, 2018 19:39

1985jayer

Will the band be playing all Stones? Hope so.

plexi

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: November 24, 2018 15:38

The "Magnificent Mile" shopping area is along North Michigan Avenue. Michigan Avenue borders the west side of Grant Park.
This shopping district is much further north of Soldier Field, but not that much of a walk from the north end of Grant Park.
Grant Park is rather large. Take a look on Google Maps. The areas are all safe.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 24, 2018 20:39

There have been ads on TV for the show, including an American Express presale. I also heard a ticket giveaway promotion on the radio.

I guess they are trying to move a lot of tickets as Christmas presents (as well as find out if there is enough demand for the second show).

Date: November 25, 2018 03:58

thkbeercan
The "Magnificent Mile" shopping area is along North Michigan Avenue. Michigan Avenue borders the west side of Grant Park.
This shopping district is much further north of Soldier Field, but not that much of a walk from the north end of Grant Park.
Grant Park is rather large. Take a look on Google Maps. The areas are all safe.

Where is the Taste of Chicago and will it be going on at that time?

plexi

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home