Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Occult books now available online
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 2, 2018 18:09

Maybe a bit esoteric for a Stones site, but some of y'all may get into this. I read the article picturing the cover of TSMR in my head. And, wasn't Jimmy Page of LZ into the occult?

[www.openculture.com]

Re: OT: Occult books now available online
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: October 3, 2018 02:06

Jimmy Page was into the occult. Besides being an occult (primarily Aleister Crowley) book collector he bought Crowley’s “Boleskine House” in Scotland in 1970. Lots of strange history on that place. I read about it years ago. Can’t recall the details now but will have to go back and research again. I remember that it was quite fascinating. Kenneth Anger (filmmaker) had some involvement with the property prior to the purchase thus influencing Page’s decision to buy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 04:57 by KingmanBarstow.

Date: October 3, 2018 05:21

DMay, found this as a little bit of history on the house that Jimmy Page acquired:

“According to legend, it is built atop the ruins of a 10th century church that burnt to the ground during a service, killing all the congregants inside. The house looks over Boleskine Cemetery at the foot of the hill, which has long been the site of misdeeds and occult happenings. The manor and the cemetery are inexplicably linked by a tunnel leading from the cellar to the graveyard, perhaps placed there for a grave watcher to alert the master of the house to any body snatching that took place. The manor also overlooks Loch Ness, of Loch Ness Monster fame.

Aleister Crowley bought Boleskine House in 1899 to seclude himself and perform magic from The Book of Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, badly translated by his mentor, founder of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers. It was during his time at Boleskine that Crowley became famous for his spiritualism and black magic practices, both around the Scotland and later, the world. Sometime during this period Mathers called Crowley to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in Paris. He left without dispelling the “12 Kings and Dukes of Hell” he had summoned, and many locals blame the house’s unlucky history on evil spirits left behind. Crowley himself, never one to admit a mistake, even conceded that the rituals he had performed at Boleskine House had gotten out of hand.

First, Crowley’s housekeeper’s 10-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son died mysteriously and abruptly. Crowley also bragged that one employee of the estate who had long abstained from alcohol got drunk and attempted to murder his entire family. After the house had changed hands, it still wasn’t free of dark energy. In 1965, the army major who owned the house committed suicide by shotgun.

The next owner was another dark celebrity of a different kind–Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page. Page spent very little time at the estate, instead bequeathing it to a friend and his family. The friend reported not minding the unexplained creaks, groans, and various ghostly apparitions, but was bothered by the Crowley and Page fans who frequently attempted to break into the house and defile the grounds.

Later owners dismissed any notions of hauntings or witchcraft at the house, but tragedy continued to strike. In 2015, the residents of the house returned from a shopping trip to find the house completely in flames. There were no injuries, as the house was totally empty when it ignited.”

Date: October 3, 2018 05:29

Here’s an article from 2014 on Kenneth Anger.

It may have been posted here before, sorry if so, and I plead the 5th before anyone pounces on me!

[www.esquire.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 05:54 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2018 07:45

Finally, just wasn't enough occult stuff available before now.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 3, 2018 12:07

Very cool and interesting, thanks for the link.

Check out the title of the first book I randomly clicked on! [embassyofthefreemind.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 3, 2018 21:08

Bibles are also available online.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 4, 2018 03:38

True, but The Bible lacks the decadent allure of the occult. Would Jimmy Page have been revered the same way if he started hanging out at Westminster Abbey at the height of Zeppelin's fame? Would overzealous fans have speculated the Holy Spirit inspired "Stairway to Heaven?" Nah, it would have gone over like Dylan's conversion, only worse.

In the meantime, wake me when someone actually transmutes a base metal into gold.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2018 09:26

Witch is thee best occult book to begin with ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 4, 2018 21:50

"Deviled Eggs" It's a gas gas, gas...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home