Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger Joins Heist Thriller ‘Burnt Orange Heresy’
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:30

Sutor, ne ultra crepidam. Gerund, dabbling. Come to think of it, the other way around - famous actor trying out as a rock singer. How common is that?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:51

Hairball
So I'm assuming work on the new album is being pushed back once again? No surprise really.
Seems Mick has other priorities, and the band/new Stones music isn't near the top of his list.

Oh well, there's always hope that Keith will release some new solo material. thumbs up

Why would you think that? The movie has been in production for three weeks already. Jagger only has a supporting role. The shooting schedule will be arranged to accomodate his availability. He'll do his scenes in one or two blocks and be done. It will likely have zero impact on the album or anything else he might wish to do this Autumn.

Why would anyone think there will be another Keith solo album? He spent 20 years claiming something was brewing with the Winos before we finally had CROSSEYED HEART. Why imagine there will be another one until we hear he's been working at it. At present, it appears his work with Steve Jordan the past couple years has been session work for other artists or progress toward the next Stones album.

You get a Stones album in 2019 along with a tour unless health or mortality intervene. Mick's supporting role is just another media buzz and a bid to broaden the net of awareness for the bigger picture. Mick is always focused on the big picture. It doesn't get any bigger than the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2018 03:03

Not a big deal - just adding some speculation to the conversation.

Date: October 20, 2018 03:12

diverseharmonics
So much for the new Stones LP.....the word "backburner' comes to mind....

Backburner....great title for a song and/or the new album whenever it gets finished.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Backburner)

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 20, 2018 16:40

Rocky Dijon
It's all subjective, but I think he's terrific in PERFORMANCE and THE MAN FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS. He was miscast as NED KELLY and is awful in FREEJACK. He was fine in BENT. I was sorry he didn't include "Streets of Berlin" on his solo anthology. RUNNING OUT OF LUCK is very hit and miss. Not much of a movie. Some good bits, but other times he and Jerry seem very uncomfortable playing themselves. It's best to think of it as music videos with linking scens than an actual movie I suppose.

As for behind the camera, BLAME IT ON THE NIGHT is interesting without actually being very good. An expensive way to explain his feelings to Karis at the time. I don't really have a sense of Mick in ENIGMA or the James Brown biopic other than thinking he invested in them and oversaw some creative and casting decisions.

Then of course there's THE KNIGHTS OF PROSPERITY where he was actually funny though the show was the usual sitcom definition of mediocre at best as often here in the States.

His brief bit for Eric Idle promoting the Python reunion shows was great and makes me wish Mick would attempt comedy with a proper writer. Most of his SNL sketches have been cringe-worthy. The Weekend Update where he played Keith being his best moment.

Not on the list is him in Fitzcaraldo. I think especially these scenes indicate that a non-actor needs a good director. And that is Werner Herzog. In general, I think Mick's movie parts would have been better if the directors had taken more care instead of simply making use of the publicity they gain by hiring Mick.
Further information certainly unknown to most around here (except Rockman probably): Today, Mick's Ned Kelly is rather regarded as the best Kelly impersonation and Richardson's film in many aspects as the best amongst a dozen of cinema and tv adaptations since 1906!
Reference: Stephen Gaunson (RMIT University Melbourne), The Ned Kelly Films, A Cultural History of Kelly History, 2013.
(Abreviation RMIT is derived from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 16:47 by JJHMick.

Date: October 20, 2018 17:40

Well, he's not in FITZCARALDO unless the BURDEN OF DREAMS footage is moved to an extra on DVD or blu-ray. You are correct, though. I had blocked that one from my memory. The bell-ringing scene always makes me laugh and then feel bad for laughing. I always wonder what Andrew Loog Oldham made of it.

As for NED KELLY, the only negative I have is that Mick is miscast. I don't think it's a bad film at all. It just would have been a better film without casting an inexperienced actor in the lead. It's a role that requires real acting. Mick wasn't up to the challenge in every scene. Also, he seemed woefully inadequate in the boxing scene. Mind you, I've often wondered why people didn't intercut with the scene in GIMME SHELTER when Mick goes down with one punch after stepping out of the trailer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 17:44 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 20, 2018 18:10

Yes, Rocky, Mick couldn't finish Fitzcaraldo. Mick's character was skipped in the published version but emerged in Klaus Kinski's role - here in Germany regarded as a real mad and wild man!
I haven't seen Mick's Ned for ages and only in German, therefore can't say anything about his "Irish".
The whole attitude towards that film was negative from the beginning and that might still dominate in the back of our minds: like some foreigners doing an Australian film. But even that was wrong as the (original) script was by Ian Jones who was (at least then) THE Australian historian regarding Kelly.
Tony Richardson's fame was originally from theatre which might explain a limited interest in (commercially more valuable) action scenes.
Anyway, all alternative actors in discussion would have been bad choice during that Age of 68 period compared to a rebel Stone. It's not coincidence that Richardson chose Ned Kelly as German Volker Schlöndorff picked (also a historical figure: Hans Kohlhase) Michael Kohlhaas at about the same time.
Maybe Mick should have mentioned his "Australian" mother...

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: October 21, 2018 01:03

georgelicks
The new album will not be released before June/July 2019, there's still 8-9 months in sight, asking for the new album EVERY single day here and other posts won't get the thing done any time sooner.
True...but making a movie won't get the LP done anytime sooner either....

Date: October 21, 2018 01:24

On a positive note, maybe this acting role will inspire Mick to write some more new songs.
Maybe a song about riding a fancy motorcycle and wearing some snazzy clothing while chasing down young women.

Date: October 21, 2018 04:50

JJHMick
The whole attitude towards that film was negative from the beginning and that might still dominate in the back of our minds: like some foreigners doing an Australian film. But even that was wrong as the (original) script was by Ian Jones who was (at least then) THE Australian historian regarding Kelly.
Tony Richardson's fame was originally from theatre which might explain a limited interest in (commercially more valuable) action scenes.
Anyway, all alternative actors in discussion would have been bad choice during that Age of 68 period compared to a rebel Stone. It's not coincidence that Richardson chose Ned Kelly as German Volker Schlöndorff picked (also a historical figure: Hans Kohlhase) Michael Kohlhaas at about the same time.
Maybe Mick should have mentioned his "Australian" mother...

I wasn't even born when NED KELLY played in theaters so neither the negative attitude Down Under nor the reviews affected me. I certainly like it better than the Heath Ledger version. I like Tony Richardson's work generally speaking so no issue here. I grew up consulting Halliwell's Film Guide and Ephraim Katz's Film Encyclopedia for most films I watched. Halliwell detested PERFORMANCE (it was hardly meant for his generation), but I've always found the film successful in every way. I've seen a few Volker Schlondorff pictures but never MICHAEL KOHLHAAS THE REBEL. I know Keith has a cameo in it, but that's about it. American education doesn't teach one about Ned Kelly or Michael Kohlhaas so you have to seek these things out on your own as much as the Magna Carta and the Battle of Hastings. Being an Anglophile and then broadening your interests to the Continent and beyond certainly helps, but ultimately you're compensating against a very limited scope. We're not even taught the names of the Canadian provinces or where their nation's capitol is based and they share the continent with us.

Date: October 21, 2018 04:53

Hairball
On a positive note, maybe this acting role will inspire Mick to write some more new songs. Maybe a song about riding a fancy motorcycle and wearing some snazzy clothing while chasing down young women.

"Getting on a motorbike / Looking really ladylike / Didn't she just give me a wave?" Something like that, you mean?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2018 09:15

NED KELLY played in theaters so neither the negative attitude Down Under nor the reviews affected me. I certainly like it better than the Heath Ledger version.

The Ledger version was like Ned Kelly meets Mad Max ….
I kept waitin for Angry Anderson to ride in on a nitro fuelled mule... hhhhaaaa

But hey I always thought Captain Starlight was the coooolest bushranger name ever …..

ROCKMAN

Date: October 21, 2018 12:53

Hi Rocky, hi Rockman - some further thoughts to Ned Kelly:
Didn't Mick hate any kind of "contact sports" (especially the very British Rugby)?! That might explain his unability to act in a boxing scene...
The Gaunson book says that both films (Jagger's and Ledger's) were very succesful in Australia but actually aimed at an international market. There both failed.
Maybe I should explain something. I have a Master's degree in English, History and Politics and when I had to do my final theses (in 1995) I was looking for a subject no professor could "oppose" me (doing Shakespeare would have been suicidal...). Plus: It should combine my subjects. So Kelly was an obvious choice and I was surprised that in about 95 % of the books on Australia in our university's library contained a minimum of two sentences (that was in the book on Australian feminism) on Kelly!
The theses became something like a Kellyana on the ballads and poems written and sung about Kelly. I also compared some ballads of "now and then", f.e. one on the Stringybark Creek shootings immediately published after the incident stressing the self defence aspect and "Lonigan's Widow" of the (also heavily critisized) Soundtrack. Sure Jennings and Kristofferson are American (see the international aim above) but Tom Ghent was brought in by Ian Jones.

Date: October 21, 2018 14:07

bye bye johnny
10/16 tweet from Mick. Would guess he's in character.

One way to avoid the traffic

[twitter.com]

I'm sorry for partly being responsible to have moved this thread from Lake Como to Kelly Country.
So, let's move back ... to Nellcote. I remember a photo of Mick riding a Honda during that period of time.
This time on a BMW? Is he still riding (or, I guess, better said: When did he give up?) motorbikes?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2018 16:08

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
On a positive note, maybe this acting role will inspire Mick to write some more new songs. Maybe a song about riding a fancy motorcycle and wearing some snazzy clothing while chasing down young women.

"Getting on a motorbike / Looking really ladylike / Didn't she just give me a wave?" Something like that, you mean?

Or if continue his more traditional style of writing songs while filming, and keeping the Kelly Country association in mind, it might go like:

German bike ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old biker knows he's doing alright
Hear him hit the road just around midnight

[Chorus]
Silver BMW how come you taste so good
Silver BMW just like a young bike should- ah hum oh..
Woo!

[Verse 2]
Drums beating, cold-blooded bastard tweets hot
Lady of the White House wonderin' when it's gonna stop
Potus knows that he's doing alright
You shoulda heard em just around midnight

[Chorus]
Silver BMW how come you taste so good now
Silver BMW just like a young bike should- now..
Yeah!

[Chorus]
Ah, get down on Silver, Silver BMW, how come you taste so good?
Ah, get down, get down Silver BMW, just like a black Harley should

[Verse 3]
Ah I bet your mama was a bike show queen
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no Hell's Angel but I know what I like
You shoulda heard me just around midnight

[Chorus]
Silver BMW how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, come down Silver BMW, just like a young bike should, yeah

[Outro]
I said yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!
How come you...how come you taste so good?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!
Just like a...just like a black Harley should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 16:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2018 16:11

Weird Thing; that pic reminds me of Lou Reed.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:51

Chris Fountain
Weird Thing; that pic reminds me of Lou Reed.

Actually, I'm reminded of Marianne Faithfull: Girl on a Motorcycle. film (1968).

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 21, 2018 22:22

Posted by Figli Del Fiori, 10/21.

"I know, It's only rock 'n roll"

honored to have hosted a star like @MICKJAGGER

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: October 21, 2018 22:57

Inter-Milan, now in Milan

Date: October 21, 2018 23:04

IanBillen
As someone here said.. (and I have also said) .. they have time for everything else but actually getting into a studio or completing an album. For example ... How could Darryl Jones have no idea about when and where they will record again? He is either not filling us in 100% OR they haven't even contacted him to say .. hey .. we need you to record some bass on the new album soon / this fall ..

No urgency .. No true sense of wanting to get to finishing it .. The only care and concrete schedules or plans are with museum exhibits .. films .. and tours it appears.

The new album is and always has been surrounded with: Oh yeah .. we are working on it.. We'll get back to it ... Not sure when it will come out... You'll get it when it's ready ... In between all that tours / films / exhibits all have concrete plans and action.

I HOPE they are working it up slowly this time as opposed to before .. piece by piece in a master plan to make it as good as possible .. Otherwise, it would almost be starting to be viewed as a joke.

There are a number of good points for discussion there, Ian. On one hand, the change in the industry and their age is significant. 15 years ago, they could still move enough product that making a new album was a priority. Today, when it is down to artistic integrity alone in a shrinking marketplace, a new album is an option, not a priority. Thirty years ago, they were still releasing hit singles. They lost that market by the time grunge came around.

When Darryl joined it was still a working band. After his first tour with them, he was relegated to a sideman as was Ronnie. They were no longer a band, but functions of Mick and Keith. It appears this new effort is another BRIDGES TO BABYLON with two camps who sometimes collaborate, multiple producers, and more of a sense that Mick and Keith, together and apart are shaping an album that the rest of the so-called band have not been directly involved with in ages.

The other side is were Chuck and Darryl told to keep their mouths shut the same as Ronnie? Yes, I believe they were. There was some very sloppy PR early on with this project. We were going to get a new studio album in 2016 with maybe a bonus disc of old blues songs or a digital download of old blues songs. Somehow, we only got the blues songs and the new material was back to the drawing board. Work continued in 2017 but somehow all that came out was a Mick solo single with the non-publicized participation of Charlie and Ronnie listed in the credits. Interestingly, Keith's spin on how the solo single came about differed from Mick's version of the story.

Ask Don Was at any point about the new album and he'll tell you "it's early days yet." About the only thing Chuck or Darryl will say is "still more work to be done, don't know when." About the only thing Charlie will say is "It's been ages, I don't really know what they're doing." To believe these statements is to believe no one can approach Keith and Mick while on tour and ask them a simple question on how it's going; to believe Charlie and Ronnie attend business meetings and no one discusses the new album openly; to believe that it isn't a matter of keeping quiet because you were directed to.

I suggest all and sundry have been directed to stay quiet. Mick and Keith will regularly post on social media that they're writing and recording (generally within days of one another). Steve Jordan and Matt Clifford (among others) will post they're in the studio with Mick or Keith. Charlie isn't allowed to say it's all rubbish and he only listens to jazz. Ronnie isn't allowed to say they don't need to bother any more because they have plenty of material to play in concert. Darryl knows better than to speak up or he can easily see any number of bass players fill his shoes. Don knows despite his decades of service and value as a mediator, he is not irreplaceable. Chuck has had another slapdown as he did in the mid-1990s when he wasn't invited to play on BRIDGES TO BABYLON for shooting his mouth off to the press. In some respects we've seen signs of closer interaction with Mick and Keith than we've seen in decades. In other ways, Keith knows he's also on thin ice and has been despite the devil-may-care I'll-show-the-world-the-blade bravado he projects.

A new Stones album at this time in their lives after so long is something that requires careful handling to not let it be written off before it's released. No stories about Universal rejecting some of the material. No stories of Mick and Keith at war over who's in charge. No stories of Don Was wanting to just polish outtakes from the last couple decades and be done with it.

This album is a bit like a Final Will & Testament and the battle of the wills matters more than just another solo album. The result will doubtless be another album of the familiar and the fashionable played in an eclectic mix of musical styles. It will look, feel, taste, and smell like vintage Stones. At the end of the day, it will garner some pleasures for the faithful, but the public at large will stick with HOT ROCKS. It's the best they can do and has been for a long time. That doesn't make it easier. Quite the opposite. Each likely feels this could be done if only the other one would listen and do as they're told. Anyone (Don, Ronnie, Chuck, Joyce, etc.) foolish enough to speak up and point this out knows they will suffer the full penalty of the Law as the Twins are able to inflict it upon them. It has to be this way because the only thing they resent more than one another's interference is the burden of their own legacy.

Date: October 21, 2018 23:32

You should know better than to waste your time then!

Date: October 22, 2018 09:24

Aha, this is a new 'Another new Stones album' thread... I guess the old thread started to taste a bit tiresome to repeat the old same, so a new context feels fresh...grinning smiley EDIT: this part of my post is not relevant any longer, since BV polished the thread.

That said, Rocky's latest redescription of the latest events was a spot on. A great read.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 11:15 by Doxa.

Date: October 22, 2018 09:33

And now that bloody guy Jagger is not even filming, but just dining and watching football when he supposed to finish a new Rolling Stones album! This is horrible. EDIT: same as above.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 11:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 22, 2018 10:06

IanBillen
Poor guy .. All these projects mandated on him (it is no wonder he and the band cannot find time to record an album) ..

There goes more of what little is left of his ..'family time'..

Mick loves the movie business and I am sure he is having ba blast in this project. Also, at his age he should be able to do exactly what he likes, that will keep him happy, comfortable and with loads of energy.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 22, 2018 10:16

This thread is NOT about the new album, or the next tour. There are separate threads on those topics. Please do not make threads go totally off topic.

Bjornulf

Date: October 22, 2018 10:32

Aquamarine
So I just read the book, and hopefully the movie will be VERY loosely adapted from it, given that much of the plot was completely preposterous (and Jagger's character was in his 90s). I love this sort of stuff usually, but it's pretty obvious why this one's out of print.

At least moving the setting to Italy should make for some nice scenery!

Thanks for the fair warning regarding the book.
Yes the Italian scenery will be nice, and I think Mick looks great in his fancy clothing, but don't see myself waiting in line to pay and see this at a movie theater.
Now wondering if Mick will record some new solo material to contribute to the soundtrack?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 10:34 by Hairball.

Date: October 22, 2018 11:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 11:14 by Doxa.

Date: October 24, 2018 02:29

Goodbye Lake Como

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 24, 2018 03:52

bye bye johnny

Goodbye Lake Como

[www.instagram.com]

well it’s all very romantic looking
Arrivederci Riguardati Michele!
P.S.
I hope he had a blast/ relaxation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 05:06 by 35love.

Date: November 26, 2018 20:15

From Mick's interview with Mesfin Fekadu of Associated Press, published 11/26:

AP: I know you’ve produced a lot lately, from TV shows to documentaries, but do you want to do more acting?

Jagger: I just actually finished doing a cameo part in a movie which is kind of a twisted thriller, which is called “The Burnt Orange Heresy.” I just finished doing that in Italy. I did a couple weeks on that, so it’ll be out next year. It was only a small part, but fun to do.

[www.apnews.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 21:01 by bye bye johnny.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home