Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Beatles song "Because" would never have existed without ... Brian Jones
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 24, 2018 22:20

Georgie - see my additional paragraph in the post above yours.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 22:31

Rocky Dijon
Georgie - see my additional paragraph in the post above yours.

Thanks Bill! From the bottom of my heart!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 25, 2018 00:44

What would be the point of a “tribute” song that conceals the person it is about?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:16

My biggest surprise from reading this thread is that Paul McCartney read Yoko's Grapefruit book. That John may have written a song about Brian Jones is not that remarkable, whether true or not, especially if he attempted to make it a secret. He wrote songs about the Maharishi ("Sexy Sadie"), a guy he met in India while with the Maharishi ("Bungalow Bill"), fellow India traveller Prudence Farrow, and his own mother. Who this Charles guy is is the question, how he knows that the vague lyrics are about Brian, and how he connected with some members of each band prior to the band members even meeting each other. Even though London and Liverpool are hundreds of miles apart. Is he around their ages, or is he older?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:28

Charlie:

Uncle Charlie Lennon
Charles Manson
Prince Charles
A right Charlie

....the possibilities are endless

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:41

Ha yeah, good old Charlie:

Charlie Chaplin
Charles Bronson
Charlie Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-25 01:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:53

Id say Charlie Sheen is back on the turps ……………….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:59

Rocky Dijon
My view is different. Let's say for the sake of argument this is all rubbish and Georgie is having fun putting us on. If so, he gave us something different to discuss and many of the responses pointing out the unlikelihood (if not impossibilities) were entertaining and informative. No harm done.

On the other hand, let's say that "Charles" is genuinely someone who knew the pre-Beatles and pre-Stones and still knows them. As unimaginable as this seems from the known history of both bands, if it turns out to be legit, it is more than worthwhile.

What we have is at worst entertainment and no harm done if it is a bit of silliness as opposed to something worthy of attention if there is even a shred of truth in it.

We can always talk about the new album, the quality of songwriting and musicianship, and the fact that Mick Taylor is more deserving of the title God than Clapton once this dies down. I would rather have a bit of fun and learn something and won't tar and feather Georgie if this is just a put-on.

BTW, have a look at Georgie's previous posts. He was born in 1948 as his handle implies. He is certainly a knowledgeable Stones fan and a true fan with a particular love of the Brian Jones era since it was "his" era. Nothing he has posted over the years points to him as being someone who is seeking attention or having fun at our expense. He's "one of us" in every sense. I can't imagine who "Charlie" is and the skeptic in me doubts the veracity of his story, but I think Georgie is sincere. He certainly deserves to be treated like he belongs here.

Well said! thumbs up

Date: August 26, 2018 15:58

Cristiano Radtke

Well said! thumbs up

Cristiano Radtke

Well said! thumbs up

I (off course) did get a reply from "Charles". Man, was I fooledgrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley. But in retrospect I laughed a lot about my imperfectness here. Great lesson learned.
Still, I like to thank people like Jah Paul, Rocky, Deltic, Roller99 and marianna for their positive responses. They were very helpful, even before I received the answer from "Charles". On behalf of him too, apologies! And ... it won't happen again.

Like I mentioned before in one of my responses, trust is the basis of all for me, so I **** sensitive words and replaced smilies due to font problems. I trust you will understand.

Stop it all, 

My "Because" story is a total b*llshit! eye rolling smiley 
I explain myself.. 

I have not often the opportunity to laugh in my old life. I am always talking about death, illness, sadness.. though I used to laugh a lot and I sometimes miss it, so .. My poor "Georgie", you and IORR readers have been victims of a true '******' joke! (helped by *****, and ****, when we saw him last year) .. We talked a lot about Beatles' conspiracies, because ***** was not really aware of it. I thought about creating a new one to show her how it could be made. "Because" came to my mind, because, I admit that it sounded like an epitaph to Brian when I first listened to it in 69, but it was just a coincidence of course.. We created it in 10/15 mins, and elements were building well to create a Beatles/Stones conspiracy. Then, the main purpose was to send it to you as an April Fool, but you know that the first 6 months of this year (involved in a car accident; hospitalised [sic],Georgie48), including April 1, were very busy to me. So before I forget it until next year, I just sent you this very late April (August) Fool.. I wanted you to share it with fans, to see how far it could go in a day.. I just talked about our close and special sense of humour on the *** photo, so the opportunity of putting this joke was too big. 
This is a typical '******' joke, fooling and saying credible nonsense to people and mostly Stoners! I am sure Brian is laughing from where he is winking smiley 
But after, I only regretted that your reputation on the forum has been tarnished, and the fact that you wasted your maybe precious time to respond to the numerous questions..  I sincerely apologize if that is the case, but I am sure you will manage to put things right before it spreads too far! moody smiley 
Aha but some strong Stones fans are also true Beatles experts, they quickly found elements! 
But I would like to keep in your mind that, for true, John, Paul and George had been very affected by Brian's death, and Paul confirmed me that the idea of a song about it, was in their minds, but inspiration, time... were not there to do something good until ABroad's final release. 

To reassure you, I fooled other mates and the majority worked well! For you, I swear this was the first and the last joke of the remaining "Terrible ******".. 
Once again, our apologies for any trouble caused.

I (Georgie48) mention that it was "good" that the joke was released this year. Next year, 50 years after Brian's passing would maybe have been painful to some.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 26, 2018 16:15

not a surprise

what a twat

(and not a single person responding here was even slightly convinced)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-26 16:17 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 26, 2018 18:49

John Lennon invented the iPod

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2018 19:16

All in good fun georgie - looking forward to the next conspiracy theory that will immediately be debunked.

Something like....Mean Mister Mustard is about Keith, and in fact Mick helped with the lyrics. winking smiley

Date: August 26, 2018 19:30

schillid
John Lennon invented the iPod

[www.youtube.com]

Now you mention it ...grinning smiley

Date: August 26, 2018 19:38

Hairball
All in good fun georgie - looking forward to the next conspiracy theory that will immediately be debunked.

Something like....Mean Mister Mustard is about Keith, and in fact Mick helped with the lyrics. winking smiley

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
Not from me, though cool smiley
Being a Stones fan and no "expert" on the Beatles (although I, like all us oldies, also grew up with them), I learned my lesson >grinning smiley<
Well, I certainly listened a lot to "Because" the past week and ... it's really a nice dream-away song, but it hides a "danger": one might dream too much and develop weird ideas smileys with beer

Date: August 27, 2018 01:23

If it looks like a duck …………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: August 27, 2018 01:33

"All the world's a stage."

Date: August 27, 2018 01:40

You know someone said that the world's a stage
And each must play a part
Fate had me playing in love you as my sweet heart
Act one was when we met, I loved you at first glance
You read your line so cleverly and never missed a cue
Then came act two, you seemed to change and you acted strange
And why I'll never know
Honey, you lied when you said you loved me
And I had no cause to doubt you
But I'd rather go on hearing your lies
Than go on living without you
Now the stage is bare and I'm standing there
With emptiness all around
And if you won't come back to me
Then make them bring the curtain down .,...……………...………
Sri

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 27, 2018 02:26

In all fairness Georgie is quite the gentleman for not giving Charles a good kick in the eye.

Date: August 27, 2018 02:35

YEAH but now days Charlie always dons a Grid-Iron helmet when he's out and about ….

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2018 05:15

Charlie's English is interesting to say the least.

Date: August 27, 2018 09:11

nick
In all fairness Georgie is quite the gentleman for not giving Charles a good kick in the eye.

Hi Nick,

And I'm not even English (as Hairball knows) cool smiley. I've been pretty blessed with my life, to say the least, and when, not even looking for it I ran into an old diamond, a mostly rough diamond with all the scratches that life added to it, but nevertheless a diamond. What do you do?
Well, I place it in the sunlight (sorry, I'm not a diamond cutter) and enjoy the occasional beautiful little colours in the best possible way. Blessed again cool smiley
And you know, again, when you don't expect it, sometimes the shine is so beautiful, it fills your eyes with tears ... of happiness. And when you pick up that diamond and one of the scratches makes makes you finger bleed, you lick the blood ... and smile.

Rockman, I love that poem thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2018 09:23

Rocky Dijon

Hill Bill,
I wrote something for Nick.
I noticed it too some year and half ago. Trust me, it's one of those "scratches" smiling smiley
I used to live in England for a away and the result of it was that Brits were surprised I wasn't one of theirs. After, I lived in Japan for a while and my English became totally "messed up", because I was adjusting it all the time to talk to the local people there. Then the USA followed ... all the beautiful Liverpodlian sounds have now totally disappeared.
My diamond travelled the world ... a lot, so I'm not worried here. He's British for sure.

Date: August 27, 2018 09:26

Rockman, I love that poem

YEAH ...Its lyrics from second part of Elvis'
Are You Lonesome Tonight which was slightly modified and rebuilt
around Charles Hart's -version from back in the 1920's ……..Sri

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2018 09:49

Rockman
Rockman, I love that poem

YEAH ...Its lyrics from second part of Elvis'
Are You Lonesome Tonight which was slightly modified and rebuilt
around Charles Hart's -version from back in the 1920's ……..Sri

Thanks! My late mom was a big fan of (soft) Elvis. I personally like his "rougher" songs. I'm going to find his "Greatest Hits" CD in between my CD chaos and listen to "Lonesome" ... while waiting for a new Stones CD smileys with beer

Date: August 27, 2018 10:05

and listen to "Lonesome" ...while waiting for a new Stones CD

geeeeeeez man at the rate their chippin' away at it
you'll be able to listen to Elvis' whole catalogue ten times over.....hhhAAAA

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2018 10:12

Rockman
and listen to "Lonesome" ...while waiting for a new Stones CD

geeeeeeez man at the rate their chippin' away at it
you'll be able to listen to Elvis' whole catalogue ten times over.....hhhAAAA

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley smileys with beer

Date: August 27, 2018 16:24

georgie48
Rocky Dijon

Hill Bill,
He's British for sure.

I was hoping that was a clue, but it seems you're not being careless enough to give us his actual words. So much for the theory "Charles" is a Gomelsky family member.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-27 19:34 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: August 28, 2018 00:03

Rocky Dijon
georgie48
Rocky Dijon

Hill Bill,
He's British for sure.

I was hoping that was a clue, but it seems you're not being careless enough to give us his actual words. So much for the theory "Charles" is a Gomelsky family member.

You made me curious. I checked on Gomelsky's history (including a "recent" 2016 article in the Telegraph (with a photo of him and Brian which I hadn't seen before). I don't think he knew any member of the two bands before they had formed. Not even Oldham, who knew the Beatles before Gomelsky did. It's interesting to learn little new facts, when you think you already knew everything. I read so many books on the Stones, I should start to read more about the Beatles. Who knows? The "Because" story wouldn't have made it to IORR then winking smiley

Date: August 31, 2018 18:16

Deltics
Jah Paul
georgie48
When the song, developed in the weeks after Brian Jones' death...

In a late April 1969 interview with the New Musical Express, John said: "I've just written a song called 'Because.' Yoko was playing some classical bit, and I said 'Play that backwards,' and we had a tune."

[www.beatlesinterviews.org]

And there's a Lennon solo demo of the song (with lyrics) recorded in either May or June 1969.

[youtu.be]

[beatles.wikia.com]

Last paragraph starting "Music first".

My "Beatles man", returned from a Beatles event in London (not Liverpool, as I thought), made this overview of what the different Beatles did, either (partly) together or by themselves during July 3 and August 10. I added it for Deltics and Jah Paul as maybe interesting. Yes, it again showes that my thread title was fake:

Brian Jones was born 28th of February 1942 and passed away 3rd of July 1969 in the age of 27.
Paul McCartney was the most frequent visitor of Brian Jones in the period in between 1963 and 1969. Partly because of the drugs and the many party´s they attended.

What happened Beatleswise between his death on the 3rd of July and the recording of Because by the Beatles on 1,4 and 5 August?
3 July 1969
Paul, Ringo and George at Abbey Rd. working on Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight. John, Yoko and Kyoto are in the hospital in Scotland.
4 July 1969
Maureen and Ringo showed up at Chelsea´s Town Hall, instead of John and Yoko to promote Plastic Ono Band´s Give Peace A Change single at a press conference.
John sent Apple´s Derek Taylor a mock begging letter from his hospital bed, signed Jack McCripple (ex-seamen)
5 July 1969
Paul attends the Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park, with rumours that the Beatles will joint he band on stage …
6 July 1969
John, Yoko and Kyoto leave Lawson Memorial hospital by helicopter after their accident in Scotland and return to London
7 July 1969
EMI recording session, the three Beatles worked on Here Comes The Sun
8 July 1969
More work in Abbey Road on the by George Harrison written Here Comes The Sun.
9 July 1969
John joined the other members of the band in Abbey Rd. fort he first time after his accident. They worked on Maxwell´s Silver Hammer. Harrods delivered two beds at the studio. Yoko, more injured then John stayed in bed all the time, while John was working.
10 July 1969
Overdubs added to Maxwell´s Silver Hammer and the pre recorded David Frost Show from 14-6-69 with John and Yoko was broadcast in the USA .Non of the Beatles were present in Cheltenham Paris Church when Brian was burried at the graveyard.
11 July 1969
More overdubs to Maxwell´s Silver Hammer with Ringo on Anvil. George Harrison record his lead vocals in Abbey Road for Something and the group worked on You Never Give Me Your Money.
13 July 1969
Paul McCartney and Mary Hopkin began to work on her next single in between his work with the Beatles.
15 July 1969
Vocals and chimes were overdubbed and added to You Never Give Me Your Money.
16 July 1969
More work on Something and Here Comes the Sun in Abbey Road´s Studio 2
17 July 1969
Paul adds vocals in Abbey Road to his Oh Darling song and the group worked on Ringo´s Octopus´s Garden.
18 July 1969
At Abbey Road Paul had another try to add leadvocals to Oh Darling. Ringo added vocals to Octopus´s Garden.
21 July 1969
Beatles started to work on John´s Come Together

22 July 1969 again the band worked on Come Together, Paul also record again vocals for Oh Darling.
23 July 1969
Rehearsals and recording of The End
24 July 1969
Paul records a solo demo of Come and Get It, purposed for the Iveys, later known as Badfinger. The Beatles recorded Sun King and Mean Mister Mustard.
25 July 1969
Paul works at Abbey Road on his She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. The band worked on Sun King, Mean Mister Mustard and started to work on John´s Polythene Pam
26 July 1969
George promotes Hare Krisna Movements Rathayatra Festival in Hyde Park, by recorded radio adverticements paid by Apple.
27 July 1969
George failed to join his wife Pattie at the head of the Hyde Park Peace march.
28 July 1969
More work at Abbey Road on Polythene Pam and She Came in Through The Bathroom Window.
29 July 1969
Guitar added to Come together and work done on Sun King and Mean Mr. Mustard.
30 July 1969
An overdub day, working on Come Together, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight. After this they worked on the trail order of the medley and Paul rejected Her Majesty from the set. After reconsideration they added the song at the end, after a long gap.
31 July 1969
You Never Give Me Your Money was completed and overdubs added to Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight
1 August 1969
Because was composed by John Lennon and its rhythm track was taped at Abbey Road studio 2 on Friday 1st of August 1969 in between 2.30 and 7.30 PM. Instruments used on the song were an electric spinet harpsichord (George Martin), bass (Paul McCartney) and electric guitar (John Lennon). Ringo Starr also took part in the recording but his hi-hat beat was only audible through the headphones and wasn´t recorded. They choose take 16 as the best, to do the recording of the vocals in the evening in between 7.30 and 10.30 PM
3 August 1969
Ringo & Maureen with Mal & Lil Evans attended a Hank Snow Concert at the London Palladium.
4 August 1969
George Harrison made rough mixes of Here Comes The Sun and Something at Abbey Road.
Because was completed by combining the three part harmonies in the song between 2.30 and 9.00 PM
5 August 1969
George Harrison´s American bought Moog sythesizer was placed in Abbey Roads room 43 and was connected by cable with any studio, The Beatles worked in for the remaining few weeks of taping. Because was the first song where they used the Moog for overdubbing. George played the Moog from room 43 and taped twice in a 6.30 – 10.45 PM session on the 5th of May to complete the song.
Paul put loop tapes for the crossfade from You Never Give Me Your Money to Sun King onto four-track and vocals were added to The End.
6 August 1969
George added guitar to Here Comes The Sun and Paul added synthesizer to Maxell´s Silver Hammer.
7 August 1969
Work on The End, First vocals were added then a guitar track with Paul, George and John trading solos.
8 August 1969
At 10 AM the famous picture of the Abbey Road cover was photographed by Iain MacMillan, the same guy that did Their Satanic Majesties Request cover, but is also known for his work in Yoko´s movie Erection. All 4 Beatles were present.
George and Mal Evans went tot he London Zoo in Regents Park after the photosession.

Facts and inspiration for the song Because.
When Yoko played Beethoven´s Moonlight Sonata on piano (in C sharp minor, opus 27 No. 2), John suggested to play it backwards, which she did. John slightly restructed it and added the lyrics to it. A section of this track also can be heard on John and Yoko´s Wedding Album.

Lennon about the song; This was a terrible arrangement, a bit like Beethoven´s Fifth backwards (april 72). I actually was writing a song about myself.
McCartney about the song; It was his favourite song on the album
Harrison about the song; This song contained the best Beatles harmony ever. …. I think this is possibly my favourite one on the album, because it´s so damn simple. The lyrics are uncomplicated but the harmony was actually pretty difficult to sing. We had to really learn it, but I think it´s one of the tunes that will definitely umpress most people (Celebration 1969)

The song was produced by George Martin, assisted by engeneers Geoff Emerick and Phil McDonald.
The song can be found as track 2 on side two of the Abbey Road vinyl album or as track 8 on the CD. (2.45)
Another version of the song was taken inside the Beatles Anthology album number 3. Here it is side 6 and track 5. The song on this album is stripped from their instruments to show their vocals (John, Paul and George) with nine voices. The original recording & twice overdubbed, each voice taped in isolation.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1342
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home