Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Memory Hotel 2CD album, with recent outtakes. ?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 12, 2018 05:24

I just saw this, Teddy. I didn't know Denise Crosby was directing these days. Good for her. At the time of the "Throwaway" music video she was an actress/model. This was just before she became part of STAR TREK I think. She was still married to Geoff Edwards then. It was Tony Adams who told me the story about her experience with Mick on the video set that her father-in-law decided to incorporate into SKIN DEEP (which Tony produced). The glow in the dark condom scene was left over from "11," the unmade sequel to "10" (much of which was reworked for SKIN DEEP). The addition of a Cockney womanizing rock star whose name rhymed with Mick was missed at the time because Julianne Phillips was in the film and the speculation was the rock star character was a potshot at Bruce Springsteen. Tony Adams thought it would be picked up and get some attention but it didn't though that scene caused a stir at the time with ILM's comedic FX work.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 12, 2018 07:51

Thanks for the story, Rocky. Blake Edwards was a genius when in his prime. His late period stuff got a little old-man corny but his work is really not sufficiently appreciated these days. Denise Crosby is a pretty tough cookie when directing TV.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2018 15:36

GasLightStreet
Considering what did make BRIDGES TO BABYLON that is terrible and what was not finished for VOODOO LOUNGE and some of the horrible tracks that went on it, Mick's idea of what is good and bad is moot: he has no clue.

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY is a testament to that.

yup clueless....look in the mirror dude.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 12, 2018 16:19

Rocky Dijon
Yeah, I am curious what happened to it. I wondered if we would have heard things like "Thief in the Night" with Mick on lead vocals or "You Don't Have To Mean It" done Tex-Mex style. The problem of course is anyone who works with them describes these lost tracks as "amazing." It's hard to know what is just being star-struck or a yes-man and what truly was a gem worth uncovering. Overall, I tend to agree with Mick and feel they developed their best material and what was relegated to B-sides or left to languish in the vaults was not as strong.

I believe "Ever Changing World" was one of the first tracks Don Was mentioned in an L.A. Times interview around July 1997. If memory serves, most or all of the unreleased tracks James Karnbach and Nico list come from the extensive Rob Fraboni interview with Stones People Magazine at that time.

I wonder if that Rob Fraboni interview is available somewhere ? I think he was interviewed (or maybe it was extracts from that STM interview) for "Old Gods Almost Dead" and he did mention some tracks. Also I'm pretty sure we first got a list of tracks in the LA Times as early as March or April, it was posted on the UC list and I'm pretty sure I have this on a...floppy somewhere, not that it's going to do me much good, hehe ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 13, 2018 01:53

Unfortunately my Stones People Magazine were left in safekeeping with a friend whose assets were seized for non-payment of income tax a number of years ago. A write-off for me and not the kind that saves you money. I'd love to read it again myself.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 13, 2018 01:57

Rip This
GasLightStreet
Considering what did make BRIDGES TO BABYLON that is terrible and what was not finished for VOODOO LOUNGE and some of the horrible tracks that went on it, Mick's idea of what is good and bad is moot: he has no clue.

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY is a testament to that.

yup clueless....look in the mirror dude.

What, you can't handle the truth? Big fan of GITD eh? Good for you.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2018 09:38

Sorry to hear about that Rocky but at least you don't have to worry about remembering in which box you might have stored them ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 13, 2018 16:53

Yeah, that's everything else!

Date: September 13, 2018 16:57

GasLightStreet

I never understand taking opinions personally. I love VOODOO LOUNGE and BTB and you don't. It never made me dislike you for a second. I really like Hideaway, Too Far Gone, and Dancing in the Starlight but didn't care much for the rest of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY. They're opinions. They're not right and wrong unless someone says something insane like "Flip the Switch" had as big an impact on 20th Century pop culture as "Jumping Jack Flash."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2018 07:05

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I never understand taking opinions personally. I love VOODOO LOUNGE and BTB and you don't. It never made me dislike you for a second. I really like Hideaway, Too Far Gone, and Dancing in the Starlight but didn't care much for the rest of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY. They're opinions. They're not right and wrong unless someone says something insane like "Flip the Switch" had as big an impact on 20th Century pop culture as "Jumping Jack Flash."

SHHHHHH.

I actually like GITD.

Actually, I like VL and BTB. Overall. It's up and down in terms of how much. And what songs stink.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home