Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones and tattoos
Posted by: bustabutton ()
Date: August 4, 2018 03:14

I’ve been thinking about this for years now, but for some reason it just made sense and I never thought to ask. I’m not crazy tattoo-guy, but I do have some ink on me. And I think it’s great....
But from what I know, no member of the Rolling Stones has any tattoos. Am I correct?
And if so, how cool is this?!?! Such a cliche branding of rock-star status that you and I and everyone has access to, and yet our boys don’t need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 03:16 by bustabutton.

Re: Rolling Stones and tattoos
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 4, 2018 03:36

Ronnie tweeted that he got a Birthday tattoo a few years ago... but I believe it may have been a joke, (or he covers it up well)

[twitter.com]

He also designed one for his son, and I could have sworm back then I read he got one from the same artist...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 04:01

I have one tattoo on my right shoulder that people hardly ever see. I'd get more, but you're right...at this point, it's just a cliche.

NOT having a tattoo is more notable these days. Having them back in the '60s, '70s and '80s was actually a sign of rebellion.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 4, 2018 08:27

When the Stones and I were growing up in England in the 50s, getting a tattoo wasn't a rite of passage for rebellious teenagers. Tattoos were for sailors and bikers and other rough people and were considered vulgar and unsightly - certainly not "cool". By the time the American fashion for rockstar tattoos developed, all the Stones were fairly mature adults, but getting inked just isn't part of the mindset of most of that generation.

Also in the 50s, tattoos mostly belonged to older men who had been in the armed forces during the war (my dad had one). If the Stones were rebels, that was the generation they were rebelling against.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 08:41 by Green Lady.

Posted by: bustabutton ()
Date: August 4, 2018 18:52

Great answer Green Lady. Thank you.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 5, 2018 01:25

Green Lady
When the Stones and I were growing up in England in the 50s, getting a tattoo wasn't a rite of passage for rebellious teenagers. Tattoos were for sailors and bikers and other rough people and were considered vulgar and unsightly - certainly not "cool". By the time the American fashion for rockstar tattoos developed, all the Stones were fairly mature adults, but getting inked just isn't part of the mindset of most of that generation.

Also in the 50s, tattoos mostly belonged to older men who had been in the armed forces during the war (my dad had one). If the Stones were rebels, that was the generation they were rebelling against.

Spot on.

Saying that and against my parents knowing I got a tattoo of the football team i supported over a good 40 years now,in my teens, but I always said I would get the stones tongue on me, before I go. I just think I will do it this week.

Saying that I personally don't like to see people covered in tattoos, but everyone to their own.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2018 03:34

I knew when my sweet old aunt had a butterfly tattooed on her ankle about 15 years ago, the danger and rebellion of a tattoo was gone, and the trend was in full swing.
Now they're everywhere you look, and it's almost rebellious not to have one.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 5, 2018 08:30

MisterDDDD
Ronnie tweeted that he got a Birthday tattoo a few years ago... but I believe it may have been a joke, (or he covers it up well)

[twitter.com]

He also designed one for his son, and I could have sworm back then I read he got one from the same artist...

Looking at recent photos of Ronnie on stage, the birthday tattoo must have been a temporary fake. It isn't there now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2018 09:08

It's a fake tattoo sleeve:

Tattoo Sleeve

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 5, 2023 23:51

[deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 00:05 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: September 6, 2023 00:04

deleted duplicate

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:27

Green Lady

Agree, great answer. It was OK in an interview in the '70s to ask about tattoos as that was a sign of alcoholism. No longer of course.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:56

odean73
... but I always said I would get the stones tongue on me, before I go...

thumbs up

Has any Stone been tattooed?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 5, 2023 23:33

What about Keith?

Re: Has any Stone been tattooed?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 5, 2023 23:45

"Rolling Stones and tattoos" - [iorr.org] .

Date: September 5, 2023 23:53

No, they have an aversion to needles.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: September 15, 2023 12:05

Not "official" Stones member but still. Marianne got her tattoo in early 1967 while in Italy with Mick. Always wondered how he reacted since it was not fancy neither common back then for a young lady to have one.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 15, 2023 16:13

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it Do it, do it, do it, do it Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave. Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Baby, go, baby, go, baby, go Do it, yeah, baby, do it, yeah, baby Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Do it Baby, do it No, baby, do it No, no No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no No, no, no No, no, no Baby, no, no Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it

Twenty-four hours a day Hey, why don't you go down to the supermarket? Get something to eat, steal something off the shelves Pass by the liquor store, be back about quarter to twelve ... Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Baby, go, baby, go, baby, go Do it, yeah, baby, do it, yeah, baby Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Don't wanna be your slave Do it Baby, do it No, baby, do it No, no No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no No, no, no No, no, no Baby, no, no Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it

Date: September 15, 2023 16:48

When the subject of tattoos comes up, I think of this video clip with Brian Setzer from The Big Interview with Dan Rather below, beginning at the 3:09 mark.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 16, 2023 13:02

I met quite some old men in Amsterdam (funny to say "old" being born in 1948 myself) who had tattoos all over their bodies. They had them made in their younger (musculaire) days. The sight of those aged (shriveled) tattoos was close to disgusting. Probably the guys Green Lady mentioned (sailors, etc.).
My guess is that these days many of those men do everything to hide them from the public eye.
A late (Rolling Stones fan) friend of mine (surpisingly) discussed with me (only weeks before he passed away) the issue of women having tattoos. He said that he never liked the view of women with tattoos. I fully agreed with him. On photos I have seen Japanese (mostly yakusa related) women with amazing tattoos covering most of their bodies. The artwork is often fantastic, but those women destroyed and lost their natural beauty (believe me, some of them didn't have them made by free will!).
When it's their free choice (men or women alike) and they feel happy about it, off course they can do what they like. Personally I would say, go and find those old tattood men in Amsterdam before you decide to have tattoos! Some will probably change their mind grinning smiley

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home